British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2012

Ben91

Just a thought !!!

I'm not sure as it doesn't normally apply to Rye. Didn't GP riders automatically get an 8 or above average for team building average in the EL, as Jason will not have actually ridden for Rockets prior to the GP ? I hope nothing silly like this will apply ?

Wev'e had sillier things happen in speedway before :blink:

Applies only to permanent GP riders, not wildcards. The 8 point average is given to any current GP rider who has not previously ridden sufficient meetings in our EL.

Surely the answer is to have a Raiders meeting the night of the GP so that Jason won't miss out.

The meeting on 31st isn't the issue Ben. I don't know how long the NZ season lasts or which meetings Jason is contracted to ride in but my guess is he has scheduled it in time to return to the UK prior to the PL season starting. Therefore, is it likely that he could afford to fly back out there for the GP at a cost of £1000 or more? The only other rider affected by this is Chris Holder but he won't be back here until after 31st March. However, the EL fixture list has been put together so that no meetings which include GP riders take place until April.

Speaking of reserves, I wonder who Rye might be able to use during their early meetings. The home fixtures will start on Saturday, 17th March - a challenge possibly? - then two PL meetings on 24th and 31st plus away matches. The reason I mention this is that I cannot imagine Jason flying back to the UK now until after the NZ GP. A guest facility may be ruled out as Jason will not have appeared for Rye yet so Len may have to use Ben Morely or another Raider in the meantime.

In the press release about Jasons wildcard he says he will have raced meetings in Europe proior to the GP. So he'll be coming back to go back over,

In the press release about Jasons wildcard he says he will have raced meetings in Europe proior to the GP. So he'll be coming back to go back over,

Must have money to burn then unless someone else is paying.

Must have money to burn then unless someone else is paying.

Well said! What a joke for Bunyan to be given the wildcard. Getting Mitch Shirra out of retirement would be better.

At least if Bunyan is coming back, we will be able to see him scorch to a 21-pointer at Foxhall on Thursday 15th March - I understand it will be Sackers Witches v Rockets in the new early season tournament - maybe the return at Hoddesdon on the Saturday?

Edited by Lovey

Well said! What a joke for Bunyan to be given the wildcard. Getting Mitch Shirra out of retirement would be better.

At least if Bunyan is coming back, we will be able to see him scorch to a 21-pointer at Foxhall on Thursday 15th March - I understand it will be Sackers Witches v Rockets in the new early season tournament - maybe the return at Hoddesdon on the Saturday?

How is giving the national champion the wildcard a joke? I'm sure if it was a Witches rider you'd be overjoyed.

Jason is back on the 2nd of March and returns to NZ on the 25th, he'll be coming straight back to the UK so at the most he should only miss the one meeting for Rye.

Well said! What a joke for Bunyan to be given the wildcard. Getting Mitch Shirra out of retirement would be better. At least if Bunyan is coming back, we will be able to see him scorch to a 21-pointer at Foxhall on Thursday 15th March - I understand it will be Sackers Witches v Rockets in the new early season tournament - maybe the return at Hoddesdon on the Saturday?

Probably looking to score no more than 6, then you can count them on one hand.

Must stop this, as they say, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Let's think of the options, a day in sunny Ipswich with the sackers Witches earning a couple of quid or a week in NZ racing with the best riders in the World, Bye the way NZ is down the A14 and turn left at the A!.

How is giving the national champion the wildcard a joke? I'm sure if it was a Witches rider you'd be overjoyed.

No. I can't think of a single current Sackers Witches rider who would be good enough to ride in the 2012 GP - although i'm sure none of them would turn down the chance to do it.

If they are going to select Bunyan for NZ, then we might as well have a campaign for <insert your own popular journeyman racer> to ride at Cardiff this year. I'll open the bidding at Ted Howgego.

Edited by Lovey

If they are going to select Bunyan for NZ, then we might as well have a campaign for <insert your own popular journeyman racer> to ride at Cardiff this year. I'll open the bidding at Ted Howgego.

How many times was Ted Howgego British Champion? Is he likely to achieve that title this year?

Whether it's a sensible idea to be holding this sort of meeting in a backwater - and particularly one thousands of miles away - is a different debate & one that's gone on arguably since Norden in 1983.

Now that it's going ahead, it's a well established precedent for the backwater to include the backwater champion.

Now that it's going ahead, it's a well established precedent for the backwater to include the backwater champion.

Fair point.

Even so, I still think it's daft for a 32-year old journeyman rider to be in a GP. Doesn't matter if he's Albanian or Welsh - indeed, how about giving the Welsh champion the chance to ride at Cardiff ... LOL, humour, etc.

Jason is back on the 2nd of March and returns to NZ on the 25th, he'll be coming straight back to the UK so at the most he should only miss the one meeting for Rye.

Just watched Bunyan on yutube in his last meeting in New Zealand, was very unlucky in the final when falling when infront, Hawkins went on to win it, but Bunyan looked a class above the rest, well he would do in that field.

If you lived somewhere for 8 years where would you call home?

England, as he appears to have been riding bikes here every summer, which is at least 8 months of a year. Who were you thinking about. :approve:

I'm delighted Jason got the nod but with all due respect to him and the meeting reserve, Andrew Aldridge what's happend to New Zealand speedway? Mauger, Briggs, Moore, Ross, Shirra and now the best they can offer is a Middle order Premier League rider, who is English, and a rider who failed to make an impression in the National League. Where did it all go wrong?

Edited by Cockney Rebel

Fair point.

Even so, I still think it's daft for a 32-year old journeyman rider to be in a GP. Doesn't matter if he's Albanian or Welsh - indeed, how about giving the Welsh champion the chance to ride at Cardiff ... LOL, humour, etc.

Sounds like a comeback for Phil Morris to me.

• Like 1

I had to laugh at the BSPA website when it said that Chris Neath is going to take Jason Garrity under his wing. Chris Neath comes across as a little timid and will not be able to handle JG or his pit crew of aboput 7 people who expect free entry every week.

JG is a ticking bomb that is waiting to explode. He has already seriously injured someone (John Oliver) because of his inability to handle bikes any faster then national league level.

Round Rye House on faster equipment that boy will be lethal i predict that the track staff will be very busy this season rebuilding the fence when he has gone through it.

I had to laugh at the BSPA website when it said that Chris Neath is going to take Jason Garrity under his wing. Chris Neath comes across as a little timid and will not be able to handle JG or his pit crew of aboput 7 people who expect free entry every week.

JG is a ticking bomb that is waiting to explode. He has already seriously injured someone (John Oliver) because of his inability to handle bikes any faster then national league level.

Round Rye House on faster equipment that boy will be lethal i predict that the track staff will be very busy this season rebuilding the fence when he has gone through it.

Neathy is a good role model for Jason, reckon you're just bitter he isn't a Leicester rider any more ;)