British Speedway Forum

Gp In Auckland 2012

Aussies and NZ riders over the years do this every year, change it around for once and its not good enough. We're not 6 weeks away, its only 24 hours.

What are you on about? Aussies and Kiwis choose to come over here. :rolleyes:

BILL Buckley is the only man in New Zealand capable of promoting a GP ... Western Springs is the only viable and suitable venue ... not available until the conclusion of their car season in March.

Also ... not practical or reasonable to awake riders from their winter slumbers and expect them to fly halfway round the world, compete in a GP, and their continue their break... would also be too big a gap between the opening round and the second.

Swedish, Polish and British leagues were consulted... riders will leave Europe on Sunday, March 25th and be back on the morning of Tuesday, April 3rd, bikes and all equipment 48 hours later. How many British teams will that seriously disrupted for one week?

so whats the racing going to be like ? most riders rusty and no meetings to set equipment up.

Why is it in NZ rather than Australia with Australia having such a big speedway community? Or, is it that the NZ speedway have made it happen, rather than Australian speedway making it happen?

not found anyone in oz that wants to lose a load cash :P vegas is the best place to hold a gp. got everything, weather-stadium and lots to do. look at the supercross there next weekend, will be packed out and million dollors to winner of all races.

IT will start at 4pm local time ... dictated by restrictions at Western Springs

So by my calculations that's 04:00 hours BST. Interestingly (well I think so!!!) if the meeting was run a week earlier it would have been a 03:00 GMT, and a week later a 05:00 BST start.

As usual this exciting news is treated by those with a typical Little Englander mentality as a major problem rather than a major opportunity. When will those realise that the moribund NsEL is nothing more than a small irritation rather than a key player on the international scene.

PRESUME you are not talking about GP riders or fans at GP events? Both very well catered for.

The question was about whether they were consulted on this subject. I have only attended 3 GP's at Cardiff because to be honest I felt it was overpriced for a crap track and a crap meeting, my opinion and don't expect it to be agreed with.

So personally I don't think the fans are well catered for. As for the riders, no idea but I keep reading there is no money in the GP's. Well someone is making money out of it and I assume that is all going outside the sport ?

Maybe I am just not a fan of the GP circus and therefore my view is not representative but that's all it is......a view. But a view of someone who used to attend 3 tracks every week and has only attended 3 meetings, 2 in Czecho since Oxford closed.

G'day Alan, and greetings from Bloody Darwin! Flights are booked; Lunchy's heading over as well, Checking on accommodation in the next few days - you're about to be invaded! :rofl::drink:

Akl you need to know about NZ is it's fulla Kiwis! :cheers:

There's more over there than there is in Oz!! :rolleyes:

Good news BFD... be good to meet ya.

On a positive note, since putting it on my facebook status I've since foudn 2 others that I know through Football over here that are interested and thinking of going up. 1 guy used to go to Newcastle for about 30 years before he moved to Christchurch, and having been a few times over here he's looking forward to going again.

If we support it and make it a success we can then hopefully get more over here :)... just waiting for tickets to go on sale, accomodation is sorted, and need some Jetstar deals for March :)

As usual this exciting news is treated by those with a typical Little Englander mentality as a major problem rather than a major opportunity. When will those realise that the moribund NsEL is nothing more than a small irritation rather than a key player on the international scene.

Putting aside the issue of whether a NZ GP is good for the sport in the NZ for a moment, most sane British fans realise the BEL is now well down the pecking order of rider priorities. That isn't the real concern, even if the BEL is still one of only three or four professional leagues where riders can make a living.

The more pertinent question is where is the money from the SGP going, because the unlike the prestige events of virtually ever other sport, little or no money is filtering back to the local tracks or clubs. It's quite amazing how national speedway authorities have failed to question this, far less how it's been allowed to happen.

I don't think asking where several million pounds worth of payments to the FIM have gone makes one a Little Englander, nor why the SGP promoters are given pick of dates whilst the riders make their livings in national competitions.

It seems a very strange setup to me, and if speedway had any sort of serious profile, would undoubtedly be one that would attract more attention.

Putting aside the issue of whether a NZ GP is good for the sport in the NZ for a moment, most sane British fans realise the BEL is now well down the pecking order of rider priorities. That isn't the real concern, even if the BEL is still one of only three or four professional leagues where riders can make a living.

The more pertinent question is where is the money from the SGP going, because the unlike the prestige events of virtually ever other sport, little or no money is filtering back to the local tracks or clubs. It's quite amazing how national speedway authorities have failed to question this, far less how it's been allowed to happen.

I don't think asking where several million pounds worth of payments to the FIM have gone makes one a Little Englander, nor why the SGP promoters are given pick of dates whilst the riders make their livings in national competitions.

It seems a very strange setup to me, and if speedway had any sort of serious profile, would undoubtedly be one that would attract more attention.

YOU raise some valid points but I am afraid you do come across as a Little Englander on some issues.

Several tracks, including the Marketa in Prague and Malilla, have seen significant improvements on the back of the SGP series. Money gleaned by SVEMO is invested back in Sweden. And GP dates have very little affect on riders in Poland or Sweden.

Unfortunately, for us, it is the UK that has issues, not least because its national body (ACU) affiliated to the FIM is so divorced from the body (BSPA) that runs domestic speedway. If the British clubs are not benefitting from the Cardiff event then that is largely their own fault. British tracks have fixture clashes because (a) the days of the week on which some operate and (B) the fact that by and large they run every week, which doesn't happen in either Sweden or Poland.

The FIM receive more income from speedway than any other discipline and how that money is used is a whole different ball game.

I do agree that riders make their living in national competitions but several have lucrative sponsorship deals on the back of the extensive TV coverage they enjoy in 11 (and now 12) GP events each year.

And, yet again, those sort of deals are ugh more difficult to acquire in the UK where speedway has such a low commercial profile.

So by my calculations that's 04:00 hours BST. Interestingly (well I think so!!!) if the meeting was run a week earlier it would have been a 03:00 GMT, and a week later a 05:00 BST start.

Despite the start time, I still think Sky will probably make us watch it on the red button :lol:

Several tracks, including the Marketa in Prague and Malilla, have seen significant improvements on the back of the SGP series. Money gleaned by SVEMO is invested back in Sweden. And GP dates have very little affect on riders in Poland or Sweden.

It's small beer compared to the amounts that the FIM and IMG/BSI are making out of the SGP, and a situation that wouldn't be tolerated in most other sports. Maybe F1 is an exception, but in that case the teams still receive millions.

GP dates might not have much effect on Poland or Sweden (although they will start to have an impact on Poland if the SGP expands any more), but star riders can still get injured. Football clubs fought a long battle with FIFA over compensation when their players were on international duty, but in the end FIFA had to concede on this.

This is not about being a Little Englander at all, but questioning why promotions and clubs everywhere are not rewarded for training and employing the riders used by a private company for its own profit. I also wonder how many GPs really make the host promotions/clubs any money, given the stated need for local subsidy in some cases.

Already heard from a few Pomgolian mates on their way over - bring it on! :approve:

Know-All Tours are supposed to be coming - NZ better lock up their sheep! :rofl:

If you're planning a trip don't forget it's the final round of the Sidecars Grand Slam series at Gillman on April 7th, well worth the extra few days. Check the Gillman site. :cheers:

Situation in Poland with (at present) the one GP rider per club rule could still muddy the waters, especially at champions Zielona Gora who are not happy with the change.

For some reason the other thread about wildcards is locked, so let's post the question here....

It's been reported elsewhere that BSI are taking legal action against the 'one GP rider per team' rule in Poland on the grounds that it's 'ruining their business'. :rolleyes:

Anyone know more?

For some reason the other thread about wildcards is locked, so let's post the question here....

It's been reported elsewhere that BSI are taking legal action against the 'one GP rider per team' rule in Poland on the grounds that it's 'ruining their business'. :rolleyes:

Anyone know more?

THE FIM, not BSI, are trying to determine whether it infringes upon European law, restraint of trade and all that. In Speedway Star this week we have details of a new FIM body which will be actively involved in such matters.

THE FIM, not BSI, are trying to determine whether it infringes upon European law, restraint of trade and all that. In Speedway Star this week we have details of a new FIM body which will be actively involved in such matters.

The FIM have given scant regard to the impact their multitude of competitions have had on domestic leagues, and now they get upset when the boot is on the other foot...? :unsure: