British Speedway Forum

Gp In Auckland 2012

Must say I was shocked when I read it yesterday over here, but Jason has done a lot for New Zealand Speedway over the years, in addition to the likes of Mauger, Moore, Briggs and Ross....

As part of the International tour each year Jason is always helping others out, on the 28th Jason and the rest of the lads have specifically put on a training day to help anyone out that wants guidance and technical information in relation to set up etc. Whilst they may not be classed as the world class individuals, they are at least trying their best to help out the local youngsters.

The biggest difference in class I've seen this year is the commitment into the corners. Some of the Kiwi riders seem hesitant when going in alongside someone, the Internationals make their prescence known and force their way through.

Whilst Jason may not be everyones cup of tea for the wildcard he'll go out there and give it his all.... and by the time the GP rocks into town he could actually be 7 times NZ champion.....

Must say I was shocked when I read it yesterday over here, but Jason has done a lot for New Zealand Speedway over the years, in addition to the likes of Mauger, Moore, Briggs and Ross....

As part of the International tour each year Jason is always helping others out, on the 28th Jason and the rest of the lads have specifically put on a training day to help anyone out that wants guidance and technical information in relation to set up etc. Whilst they may not be classed as the world class individuals, they are at least trying their best to help out the local youngsters.

The biggest difference in class I've seen this year is the commitment into the corners. Some of the Kiwi riders seem hesitant when going in alongside someone, the Internationals make their prescence known and force their way through.

Whilst Jason may not be everyones cup of tea for the wildcard he'll go out there and give it his all.... and by the time the GP rocks into town he could actually be 7 times NZ champion.....

this is not taking anything away from jason ,jason efforts in New Zealand should be commended and im sure he will give it all , but the point is this is the world championships, to find the best in the world , not a celebrity big brother on bikes , where you can just introduce a person to boost the ratings ,

• Like 1

It doesn't make commercial sense to have Bunyan in a GP at all. It's delusional to think it does.

You really have no idea, do you?

WELL the guy who is paying the bills probably knows best what makes commercial sense as far as he is concerned. No one will carry the can more than him if it goes t*** up.

I've heard the Auckland GP is a three year deal, Philip, can you confirm?

BSI had already approached one Aussie about riding there but NZ Gov't put their foot down on Kiwi representation, and who can blame them?

The only people who seem to be upset are people on here who love to knock Speedway at any opportunity: I wonder if they ever give as much back to the sport as Jason does every year in NZ - the Sux-time Kiwi Champion's been over there so often his favourite meal is Fush 'n Chups! ;)

Edited by BigFatDave
  • Like 1

And with the Welsh Asembly pumping in God only knows how much every year, surely they have as much right to a say as the New Zealand government. As a Welsh tax payer I demand that a Welshman rides in the GP at Cardiff. You know what, I think it should be called the Welsh GP too.

The Welsh Executive doesn't have any taxation powers, so it's actually British taxpayers money... :P

I'd be surprised if whoever's funding the NZ GP actually insisted on having a 'NZ' wildcard in the field, but there isn't really any credible choice from the NZ ranks. At least Bunyan can be marketed as the 'NZ Champion' or similar, and I guess that's why it was done.

What's Mitch Shirra doing these days though? He could probably still put a leg over a bike and trundle round for four laps, and he's actually a Kiwi... ;)

I'd be surprised if whoever's funding the NZ GP actually insisted on having a 'NZ' wildcard in the field, but there isn't really any credible choice from the NZ ranks. At least Bunyan can be marketed as the 'NZ Champion' or similar, and I guess that's why it was done.

What's Mitch Shirra doing these days though? He could probably still put a leg over a bike and trundle round for four laps, and he's actually a Kiwi... ;)

Bill Buckley and the NZ Gov't are funding the GP, Humphrey. As for Mitch, he's quite well-rounded these days, to the extent that he could pass for a bowling ball - I'm sure he'd skittle any opposition. :D

Why not have an actual New Zealander? Ricky Wells is the best New Zealand rider at the moment, but alas, they decided to go for a Brit who likes riding out there. Their choice.

I would laugh a lot if Bunyan managed to beat one of the established riders!

And with the Welsh Asembly pumping in God only knows how much every year, surely they have as much right to a say as the New Zealand government. As a Welsh tax payer I demand that a Welshman rides in the GP at Cardiff. You know what, I think it should be called the Welsh GP too.

As a Welsh tax payer myself I am quite happy for our GP to called British as Wales is in Great Britian. Good luck to Jason in Auckland

BSI had already approached one Aussie about riding there but NZ Gov't put their foot down on Kiwi representation, and who can blame them?

The only people who seem to be upset are people on here who love to knock Speedway at any opportunity: I wonder if they ever give as much back to the sport as Jason does every year in NZ - the Sux-time Kiwi Champion's been over there so often his favourite meal is Fush 'n Chups! ;)

YES, it's a three year deal. My latest info is that tickets sales have been very encouraging especially as pre-buying is hardly essential given that what reserved seating there is has already sold out.

If reports emanating from Gillman in Oz continue to be as positive as they have been of late then I would be very surprised if BSI and the FIM don't take a long hard look at staging a GP there, maybe as early as 2013.

It makes sense especially if they don't have the worry and cost of installing a track.

YES, it's a three year deal. My latest info is that tickets sales have been very encouraging especially as pre-buying is hardly essential given that what reserved seating there is has already sold out.

If reports emanating from Gillman in Oz continue to be as positive as they have been of late then I would be very surprised if BSI and the FIM don't take a long hard look at staging a GP there, maybe as early as 2013.

It makes sense especially if they don't have the worry and cost of installing a track.

All we need is State or Federal Gov't support or a Santa Claus with a lazy few bucks - plans have been made and all-up costs for a GP in Oz, including temporary stands etc are estimated to be $AUS900,000 - 1Million. It certainly makes sense to run in conjunction with an NZGP as transportation costs from Europe would be shared.

this is not taking anything away from jason ,jason efforts in New Zealand should be commended and im sure he will give it all , but the point is this is the world championships, to find the best in the world , not a celebrity big brother on bikes , where you can just introduce a person to boost the ratings ,

But the Wildcard isn't going to win the World Championship as they only do 1 or 2 meetings a year really, so as long as there is a wildcard for the round then why shouldn't it be given to someone who does a lot locally......... If it was a wildcard for the whole series I'd agree with you, but there are already 15 riders in the series going for that title this year... give someone a chance to ruffle a few feathers and upset the apple cart.

Anything Jason scores will be a bonus based on people's conceptions here, but as he was about with the promotion of things here I'm sure he's had a few cheeky laps around there before so could upset a few riders if their not on their game.....

BFD i think most people dont mean to knock speedway,most like me i think want it to prosper and lets be honest speedway could be improved a hell of alot.At least on this forum,you can debate a little wrightly or wrongly.Its a pity the people in power didnt listen a bit maybe they could connect better with the bread and butter fans,

Obviously it would have made a difference to the GP being a success if the NZ authorities didn't put the money up because there wasn't what they considered a suitable representative.

It makes no difference to me whether he rides or not,was it right for Kroeze to ride in Amsterdam NO it wasnt. Is it right for the credibility of the series for Bunyan to ride NO again but it is only my opinion.People will be talking about Bunyan for the wrong reasons which funny anough i dont think is fair on him.

Will he wear a Nz race jacket or a British one???

Technically he can't wear a Nz one!

This all seems a bit dim and Ill thought out....speedway again, and the reason so many are walking away :(

How can he technically not wear a NZ one... If he has New Zealand Citizenship (which is likely, but I don't know the definite answer to if he has) then he is free to represent New Zealand in whatever sport he chooses. Just like next year if I apply for citizenship and the All Whites called me up to play I would be eligible!

And according to the article he will represent New Zealand

Interesting to see who is the Wildcard for Cardiff then, how about Davey Watt? He's good enough to go in our GP according to others on here, why not put him in yours. Or can you name someone better?

The Welsh Executive doesn't have any taxation powers, so it's actually British taxpayers money... :P

Living and paying taxes in Aussie

Will he wear a Nz race jacket or a British one???

Technically he can't wear a Nz one!

This all seems a bit dim and Ill thought out....speedway again, and the reason so many are walking away :(

Did Laguta wear a Latvian jacket when he was the Latvian wild card even though he is Russian?

Edited by iris123

Did Laguta wear a Latvian jacket when he was the Latvian wild card even though he is Russian?

Not to mention Rune Holta

And before you say it he has a Polish Licence, Bunyan has a NZ one.

Edited by kiwi
  • Like 1