British Speedway Forum

Gp In Auckland 2012

From FIM site today:

There has been speculation in sections of the media over the last few days regarding the staging of an FIM Speedway Grand Prix event in New Zealand.

It is no secret that BSI Speedway is in negotiations to stage a Grand Prix in New Zealand. As with the staging of any new event, negotiations take time and at present there is no signed contract or official staging date.

These discussions are still ongoing and BSI Speedway urge fans not to make travel arrangements until contracts have been signed and the event has been officially confirmed by BSI Speedway.

As in previous years, the calendar for the forthcoming FIM Speedway World Championships will be announced at the FIM Congress in October.

For what it's worth the UK does consult (or at least take into account) other leagues when deciding fixtures. How many Elite League fixtures take place on Tuesdays and Sundays?

The BEL doesn't need to consult with other leagues because they pretty much take the dates that are left after IMG/BSI, Poland and Sweden have had their pick.

As for IMG/BSI consulting with leagues as to the dates of any GP, I very might doubt it. The FIM grants them priority and everyone else just has to firt around them.

These discussions are still ongoing and BSI Speedway urge fans not to make travel arrangements until contracts have been signed and the event has been officially confirmed by BSI Speedway.

Lest we not forget that a New Zealand GP was announced once before (in Wellington?), and ended-up being cancelled.

Personally though, I don't think a NZ GP would be a bad thing, although late-March isn't brilliant for the British and Polish leagues.

Lest we not forget that a New Zealand GP was announced once before (in Wellington?), and ended-up being cancelled.

Personally though, I don't think a NZ GP would be a bad thing, although late-March isn't brilliant for the British and Polish leagues.

WELCOME back Humphrey, haven't seen you around lately.

End of March is first available date at Western Springs, the only viable venue in NZ. They are very close at the moment and it would be a real shame were it to fall out of bed at this late (very) stage.

WELCOME back Humphrey, haven't seen you around lately.

End of March is first available date at Western Springs, the only viable venue in NZ. They are very close at the moment and it would be a real shame were it to fall out of bed at this late (very) stage.

Think BSI want to announce it officially first, that is all

Why New Zealand? Even MotoGp dont go there.

There's a reasonably large speedway scene in NZ (albeit more than just solos), which gets fairly mainstream coverage in the country.

I'd imagine they're going to NZ though, someone has fronted up the cash, but it's by no means the worst place to have a GP.

Why New Zealand? Even MotoGp dont go there.

Ive never been but heard it rains more than Vojens.

PROBABLY because NZ has a longer and richer speedway history than almost any other nation, IMG has a presence there and there is a motorsports promoter who wants to do it. There is no weather guarantee anywhere these days and Auckland is no different. Have been there twice in March ... once it was gorgeous, once wet.

NZ is still struggling economically in the aftermath of CHCH....

What on earth is 'CHCH' ???

Earthquake in Christchurch last February and countless aftershocks since... reason why England rugby team isn't based there. Birthplace of Briggs, Mardon, Mauger, Ross and adopted home of Moore is still devastated by the destruction caused.

I did presume CH was Christchurch and the earthquake immediately came to mind, however, still not sure what the double use of it means. Unless it's a case of 'New York, New York'! Cheers for the confirmation anyway.

Edited by manchesterpaul

I did CH was Christchurch and the earthquake immediately came to mind, however, still not sure what the double use of it means. Unless it's a case of 'New York, New York'! Cheers for the confirmation anyway.

It's a commonly used abbreviation down here, MP, particularly among the Diaspora of Kiwis in Oz. It's still a mess; whole families are moving away from the devastated city - some to the North Island, some over here.

Western Springs promoter Bill Buckley is a man on a mission, and I hope for his sake, and for his Country's, he can bring this off. There is little doubt that IMG/BSI are working together with Bill: he was their guest at Cardiff and he and Paul Bellamy have been working together ever since to attempt to overcome the innumerable problems that exist.

In case you weren't aware, one of the reasons why there aren't any earlier dates available is that there's no track there at the moment; it's been grassed over for RWC and a new track will be laid when that's finished.

Great Stadium, by the way; I saw not only Speedway but also Fleetwood Mac & the Beach Boys there in the 70s. I think a few NIMBYs were whingeing about the noise then as well - plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

You can pretty much gaurantee weather in Perth LOL

THERE is a track at Western Springs but Buckley runs his cars there until early March and the surface, mostly clay, isn't suitable for speedway. A new track surface will be laid for the GP but at the moment there are one or two noise issues to be resolved before it gets the green light. On amber right now...

THERE is a track at Western Springs but Buckley runs his cars there until early March and the surface, mostly clay, isn't suitable for speedway. A new track surface will be laid for the GP but at the moment there are one or two noise issues to be resolved before it gets the green light. On amber right now...

I was under the impression it was being used solely as a Rugby training centre during the RWC, PHILIP; of course as well as Speedway & Concerts it's also home to the famous Ponsonby Rugby Club.