British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2012

At least the elite league has 20 star riders, whereas the premier league have a big 00. Say no more my point has been confirmed more or less by 'Racin jason' :t:

To be honest I dount there are 20 star riders in world speedway I guess it comes down to what you think the term star riders means

This EL Vs PL thing is tedious and pointless. Whether you prefer either league doesn't matter here the fact is for next season at least Ipswich are riding Premier league speedway.

I'm personally looking forward to getting next weekends AGM out of the way so we can start the team building and discuss who we HAVE signed rather than who's Auntie's Brother in law's goldfish has heard we MIGHT sign.

Oh and i full expect the Witches line up to be all an all singing all dancing spectacular septet of the best up and coming talent we've "cherry picked" with all this "silly money" the club have stashed away in the Foxhall office safe!!

Edited by CardinalSin

Aljack if you are a elite league snob yet enjoy the speedway at mildenhall that says to me it's not the premier league you have a problem with it's the promotion as you tell us in each post you make.

The 36k you mention is not a huge amount when riders in the el can get 25k as a signing on fee. I believe the rent for foxhall is about 75k a year Inc vat. Lots of clubs rely on selling riders to survive but our club under chris louis has moved in another direction. We are adding young assets who will be future stars. The club is moving at a pace which is sustainable. And I applaud that.

No Im not a snob in any sense of the word but completely the opposite. I admit I do enjoy the national league speedway at Mildenhall a great deal more than at foxhall, especially now an elite league team (Witches) are now in the premier league. What if John Berry was still promoter, do you think for one minute he would have dropped an elite league team into the inferior premier league? Did not the Louis sell Scott Nicholls to Coventry then??? One thing I do agree on is young assets being signed on full terms but for what use if the Witches stay in the premier league? If successful they will all just move on up into the elite league so be lost to the fans at foxhall due to being in the premier league. If the rent was 75k a year, that would be payed off with 3 - 4 meetings of £25,000 each correct, so leaving the other (lets say 18 meetings) for running the team in the elite league. The one thing I will also applaud Chris Louis for like you is, for helping to bring speedway back to Mildenhall along with Jolly and Lee.

Aljack there wasn't any other option about dropping to the Premier league it HAD to be done as the club had lost too much money last season. They played their part to the full in that though it has to be said. Taking the fans for granted and putting together such an appalling team in terms of both entertainment and ability, proved in the end to be a mistake and we ALL nearly paid a heavy price!

I like what they are trying to do at the moment though. Building to a hopefully bright future by signing up the like of Heeps and maybe one or two others is a positive step.

I know one or two on here hope the club is in the Premier league to stay, but personally i hope they're building the club up to return to the top flight in the not too distant future and be in a much better position to have an entertaining and competitive Elite league side.

Until that time, i'm quite happy to support the club in the Premier league.

John berry started promoting in the second division I believe. John berry was a very astute promoter but he promoted in the sports heyday when big crowds were the norm. When by the mid 80's times were tough he got out because he didn't want to lose money.

I'm sure if jb was owner of the witches now he would have made the same decision to go premier. Why put the future at risk and possibly lose the club or do you cut your cloth accordingly.

Look at newports present situation to see what happens when your heart rules your head.

Aljerk if money is so easily made at foxhall why don't you make an offer, its been up for sale for years. You would be loaded wouldn't you? Maybe you could run the buisness at a profit whilst signing all the top elite riders?your a twit! Sorry mods if twit is a bad word I've had enough of this twurp!

No man on the moon, compared with what most Ipswich supporters wana call Aljerk its polite man!!

This thread isa perfect example of Aljerk. First he posts misinformation and so called 'facts' which are clearly wrong. Hes immediately caught out and shown to be da fool we all know he is, then he spends the next couple of days trying to back up his view by posting more rubbish :rolleyes:

Only one thing ta do block him, its the best way :approve: oh and Alboy and ged Scott his alter egos lol

Fair enough we are all entitled to our opinions even if others dont agree, thats democracy for you. But just think on 1,500 x £16 = £2,400 and £2.50 for programmes on top of the huge gates at Easter and Bank Holiday Monday. Thats alot of dosh when only tracking one heatleader (Nicholls) who by his own words did not ask for much to ride for Witches (16 lapper). Me thinks just perhaps alot of that 36k never made its way back in to helping the Witches stay in the elite league with a competitive team. So hence the drop of a league to premier and its lesser quality riders, not like the elite league stars who so graced foxhall for nearly 40 years.

In the last few years of the Witches involvement in the NsEL there weren't too many crowds of 1500+, indeed there were occasions when the crowd was a third of that. But let's work on your 1500 figure.

Another contributor has already provided a suggested ratio of 63:37 between full price and concessions, and suggested admission of £16:£10.

However I would recalculate the figures as follows:

63% of 1500 x £13.33 = £12,596

37% of 1500 x £8.33 = £4,623

Total £17,219. This figure is now net of VAT, at the current rate of 20%. However I do accept that the rate of VAT did vary during this period.

So this mythical income, which started at £34,000 is now down to around 50% of that figure.

Anyone for any other reductions?

No man on the moon, compared with what most Ipswich supporters wana call Aljerk its polite man!!

This thread isa perfect example of Aljerk. First he posts misinformation and so called 'facts' which are clearly wrong. Hes immediately caught out and shown to be da fool we all know he is, then he spends the next couple of days trying to back up his view by posting more rubbish :rolleyes:

Only one thing ta do block him, its the best way :approve: oh and Alboy and ged Scott his alter egos lol

It's so frustrating, if I didn't know who he was I'd swear he was only 10 years old. Nether mind, he's a ' star '.

You should some of the rubbish ajerk puts on the evening star love speedway page under ged scot I like most people have had enough of him and will support speedway at foxhall whatever the league may not be as good as in the past and I find that a real shame but at thr end of the day speedway at level that is cost effictive and sucessful id the most inportant thing can we get back on topic

So who to believe regarding finances at the Foxhole.....Mr Snack who has been involved in speedway admin and has a balanced viewpoint, or aljack who is a self confessed Louis hater, plucks figures from the sky and doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow? Hmmm thass a tough one :D

Aljack personally i hope they're building the club up to return to the top flight in the not too distant future and be in a much better position to have an entertaining and competitive Elite league side.

I 100% agree with this part of your post. The only way forward is to sign their own assets and rejoin the star studied elite league. But its essential that the Louis put together a competitive team and not all on the cheap as in the past 10 years.

Ipswich speedway was success in 2011 apart from the general PL problem of too many meetings caused by the ridiculous phase 2 fixtures.

The EL only works for clubs like Poole, King's Lynn, Birmingham, Lakeside who can subsidise that level through income from crowds and sponsors or the other clubs being totally bankrolled by rich businesmen.

The Louis' couldn't bankroll EL speedway and also couldn't speculate/risk the future of the club by overspanding which led to continual cheap weakish teams which led to the woeful 2010 season when crowds at the end were the lowest I've ever seen in over 50 years of watching speedway at Foxhall.

Aparently in the winter the club had talks with a prominant local businessman with a view to a buy out but the prospective new owner pulled when he saw the figures for EL racing!

These reasons perfectly justify dropping down and whilst like many I think Ipswich speedway should be top flight, building the club up in the 2nd tier like they did in 1969-71, 1989-90 and like King's Lynn did from 2003-2010 is the best way forward.

Whilst I think the Louis promotion have got complacent and a bit tired in the past through being at the helm since 1989 with the knowledge the Witches have always had a good solid hardcore supporter base, Aljack needs to get real!

Edited by 25yearfan

Chris Louis has said publicly that the drop to the PL was to ensure the clubs future and to provide the promotion with a chance to rebuild their asset base - it's quite obvious from those statements that the drop to the PL had to be done immediately but also they don't intend to stay there and want to rebuild the club. It's not a great secret!

If Aljerk has issues with those decisions then may I suggest he "votes with his feet" and stays away from Foxhall - it'd be doing the rest of us a favour!

He enjoys his racing the Mildenhall much more, so keep going there, and as such a fan of the "Elite" league then why not make a trip to the Norfol Arena or the Thurrock Raceway to get your fix?

I personally can see Ipswich looking to make the move back "up" to the EL but not in it's current guise, I think they will wait as long as it takes to be in such a postition to make the move viable and sustainable whilst being competitive - if it can't be all three of those then moving up (to please a small minority) would be the death of the club - which is why I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

I must admit this part of Mike Bacon's review in the Evening star of the Witches season jumped out at me...

"Of course not everything in the garden has been rosy.

Some of the riders in the Premier League are distinctively average. And Witches fans will have to currently live with the fact the Lasse Bjerres, Taylor Pooles and Cameron Heeps of this world, are only using the club as a stepping stone to greater things.

Not a nice thought. The Witches need to be back in the big time one day."

He's right. The Witches do need to be back in the top flight at some point. That has to be the ambition. But as has been said, the drop down a division was a necessity and not a choice. But my personal view is by the time the likes of Cameron Heeps and possibly Tungate if rumours are to be believed, are ready to move up, we're in a position to move up with them.

I must admit this part of Mike Bacon's review in the Evening star of the Witches season jumped out at me...

"Of course not everything in the garden has been rosy.

Some of the riders in the Premier League are distinctively average. And Witches fans will have to currently live with the fact the Lasse Bjerres, Taylor Pooles and Cameron Heeps of this world, are only using the club as a stepping stone to greater things.

Not a nice thought. The Witches need to be back in the big time one day."

He's right. The Witches do need to be back in the top flight at some point. That has to be the ambition. But as has been said, the drop down a division was a necessity and not a choice. But my personal view is by the time the likes of Cameron Heeps and possibly Tungate if rumours are to be believed, are ready to move up, we're in a position to move up with them.

Thank you cardinalsin for your post of Mikes review having not read it myself. How true his words are, a real realist like myself. Now please you "rose coloured glasses" fans who post on here read a true speedway journalists words who actually is a Witches fan. Say no more whos right the "rose brigade" or a top journalist Mike Bacon, aljack and cardinalsin ???

Thank you cardinalsin for your post of Mikes review having not read it myself. How true his words are, a real realist like myself. Now please you "rose coloured glasses" fans who post on here read a true speedway journalists words who actually is a Witches fan. Say no more whos right the "rose brigade" or a top journalist Mike Bacon, aljack and cardinalsin ???

The part i quoted was only a small part of the article that was of interest to me personally. He does generally speak very positively about this season in the Premier league though.

Probably best to read the whole article for a more balanced look

http://www.lovespeedway24.co.uk/teams/ipswich-witches/pride_back_in_the_witches_a_season_s_review_1_1117766