British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2012

As alot of talk on this site is about money, could I just throw another question into the fray.

What??? has happened to the £36,000 paid by Coventry to Ipswich for Scott Nicholls ???

Most people who have been involved with Ipswich Speedway do know exactly what happened to the money.

Firstly the amount wasn't anywhere near the figure you quote, and the money received was used to extinguish a debt that threatened the clubs very existence.

Those that know me will testify that I have never been an apologist for either JL or CL. Indeed I have, on occassions been one of their fiercest critics. However the one area where I have never criticised them is in connection with their financial prudence. Unlike some of the here today gone tomorrow lunatics that have, and in some cases still do, infest both leagues, the Louis' run it as a business within a budget. Since the sad death of Tim Woodward they have not had the benefit of a benign benefactor. They have to make the business stand on its own feet.

My major criticism was that they spent far too long pandering to the cretinous morons who thought the only show in town was the NsEL. It was that obsession that very nearly ended speedway in Ipswich. Fortunately they saw the light, arguably about three years too late, but now they have a vibrant profitable business. Indeed apart from the switch to a league which match their available resources, I don't think one should under estimate the investment in the track itself. It moved Foxhall from being a track which was for the most part cheerless and depressing, often giving rise to monotonous and pedestrian racing, to a proper race track, providing the riders with interesting and stimulating lines which provides a great level of entertainment.

So in summary if you think there is some great stash of money being hidden away, I fear your dreaming.....which many may suggest is a common complaint!!!!

Edited by Mr Snackette

At present the standard of both the leagues is lower than at any point I can rember. I would rather watch the pl at prrsent as the riders seem to be more commetted and dont miss matchs for lame reasons also the standard of the riders seems more evan than the el. Back in. The days of bl and nl speedway when ipswich moved back up I looked forward to it to see the best riders in the world but we no longer have the big name world stars in the el

Fair enough we are all entitled to our opinions even if others dont agree, thats democracy for you. But just think on 1,500 x £16 = £2,400 and £2.50 for programmes on top of the huge gates at Easter and Bank Holiday Monday. Thats alot of dosh when only tracking one heatleader (Nicholls) who by his own words did not ask for much to ride for Witches (16 lapper). Me thinks just perhaps alot of that 36k never made its way back in to helping the Witches stay in the elite league with a competitive team. So hence the drop of a league to premier and its lesser quality riders, not like the elite league stars who so graced foxhall for nearly 40 years.

Since when was the total crowd all adults paying full money. Use a figure like 63% of the total being adult, and the rest are paying concession rates, which are usually a lot lower. Experience.

Also 1,500 X £16 is actually £24,000. :rolleyes: Don't apply for the Finance Directors job BTW.

Since when was the total crowd all adults paying full money. Use a figure like 63% of the total being adult, and the rest are paying concession rates, which are usually a lot lower. Experience.

Also 1,500 X £16 is actually £24,000. :rolleyes: Don't apply for the Finance Directors job BTW.

Neither have Elite League stars been gracing Foxhall for nearly 40 years :rolleyes:

Even if Aljack is refering to the top league he is again wrong, but there is a surprise!

If the premier is a poor standard please explain how plymouths ben barker is number 1 at Birmingham. How gjedde is a heat leader for belle vue. Glasgows reserve beating bjarne pedersen on his home track. Even lasse has only 2 pts difference between his pl and his nsel average.

This season has seen far far better racing with the same riders turning up each and every week unless injured.

Another point I wish to make is how the pl riders make the effort to give a victory lap which the youngsters love. Ask the Lynn fans how often the el riders go straight back to the pits.

I agree that whilst the PL top end is not as strong as it was, the lower end is much stronger than before.

42.5 without bonus is not far off 45.0 with bonus, so the PL isn't weaker than before.

The EL, however. Well that's a different story!

Fair enough we are all entitled to our opinions even if others dont agree, thats democracy for you. But just think on 1,500 x £16 = £2,400 and £2.50 for programmes on top of the huge gates at Easter and Bank Holiday Monday. Thats alot of dosh when only tracking one heatleader (Nicholls) who by his own words did not ask for much to ride for Witches (16 lapper). Me thinks just perhaps alot of that 36k never made its way back in to helping the Witches stay in the elite league with a competitive team. So hence the drop of a league to premier and its lesser quality riders, not like the elite league stars who so graced foxhall for nearly 40 years.

Here we go again.... more unsubstantiated rubbish.

Unless you have proof of your allegations, I suggest

you remove that statement asap.

Someone will have to quote my post, who isn't on this

trolls ignore list... so he has the opportunity to

do the right thing.

Most people who have been involved with Ipswich Speedway do know exactly what happened to the money.

Firstly the amount wasn't anywhere near the figure you quote, and the money received was used to extinguish a debt that threatened the clubs very existence.

Those that know me will testify that I have never been an apologist for either JL or CL. Indeed I have, on occassions been one of their fiercest critics. However the one area where I have never criticised them is in connection with their financial prudence. Unlike some of the here today gone tomorrow lunatics that have, and in some cases still do, infest both leagues, the Louis' run it as a business within a budget. Since the sad death of Tim Woodward they have not had the benefit of a benign benefactor. They have to make the business stand on its own feet.

My major criticism was that they spent far too long pandering to the cretinous morons who thought the only show in town was the NsEL. It was that obsession that very nearly ended speedway in Ipswich. Fortunately they saw the light, arguably about three years too late, but now they have a vibrant profitable business. Indeed apart from the switch to a league which match their available resources, I don't think one should under estimate the investment in the track itself. It moved Foxhall from being a track which was for the most part cheerless and depressing, often giving rise to monotonous and pedestrian racing, to a proper race track, providing the riders with interesting and stimulating lines which provides a great level of entertainment.

So in summary if you think there is some great stash of money being hidden away, I fear your dreaming.....which many may suggest is a common complaint!!!!

Well said Mr S, in fact you are spot on there.

I would love to meet you in person next season at Foxhall,

and I mean that in a friendly manner, as some people do

seem to jump to the wrong conclusion when a message is

posted about meeting folks.

My main gripe with the el is if you takeaway the top 20 riders you are left with pl standard. I remember when a nl number 1 would move up to the bl but be a reserve and struggle where now they are 3rd heat leader.

Riders in the lower order are now valuable because they have a low average not because of their ability.

The points limit is set far too low which is why the low end of teams is so weak.

Sorry to go off topic but I just wanted to respond

Yes I left a 0 off by mistake so its £24,000 plus over a £1,000 for programmes. Is anybody really serious that over £25,000 a meeting is not enough to run a put together on the cheap Witches team??? So in others opinions all that £36,000 went back into running the Witches :nono: Why just quote 2 riders in the elite league when there are numerous stars and several gp riders??? Lets just be realistic here, the premier league is full of wannabees who never will and riders who cant make the grade at the higher level. So its inferior to the elite league which has numerous star riders. That was proved by the 16 lapper at foxhall when a very average elite league rider won it. Say no more :rolleyes:

But we do get to see the some of the future world stars in the making , like Heeps Morris Lasse to name just a few. I have enjoyed watching someone like mills giving every race his best effort, than watching bobby trying to make one decent corner in a race. Every type of business has to cut their cloth accordingl otherwise they fold.

At least the elite league has 20 star riders, whereas the premier league have a big 00. Say no more my point has been confirmed more or less by 'Racin jason' :t:

Mads Korneliussen is 20th in the EL Green Sheets dated 1st October. If the EL has 20 star riders and by your own standards Korneliussen is a very average EL rider, then perhaps you can tell us how many stars there really are ... 19 or less :rofl::nono:

LOL at the unbridled ignorance of the Aljerk troll.

Edited by Lovey

Aljack if you are a elite league snob yet enjoy the speedway at mildenhall that says to me it's not the premier league you have a problem with it's the promotion as you tell us in each post you make.

The 36k you mention is not a huge amount when riders in the el can get 25k as a signing on fee. I believe the rent for foxhall is about 75k a year Inc vat. Lots of clubs rely on selling riders to survive but our club under chris louis has moved in another direction. We are adding young assets who will be future stars. The club is moving at a pace which is sustainable. And I applaud that.

Yes I left a 0 off by mistake so its £24,000 plus over a £1,000 for programmes. Is anybody really serious that over £25,000 a meeting is not enough to run a put together on the cheap Witches team??? So in others opinions all that £36,000 went back into running the Witches :nono: Why just quote 2 riders in the elite league when there are numerous stars and several gp riders??? Lets just be realistic here, the premier league is full of wannabees who never will and riders who cant make the grade at the higher level. So its inferior to the elite league which has numerous star riders. That was proved by the 16 lapper at foxhall when a very average elite league rider won it. Say no more :rolleyes:

No it's not. :shock:

Given a split of 63% of the crowd being adults, 37% concessions at say average £10:-

0.63 X 1500 X £16 = £15,120

0.37 X 1500 X £10 = £ 5,550

Total £20,670 plus proggies £1,000. :lol:

Edited by Tsunami

At least the wannabees in PL are putting in a bit of effort to earn some money,unlike the EL star who are just topping up their Polish and GP earnings without 100% commitment in some cases.