British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2012

Not so sure about Doolan and Risager though .

With the Witches side looking like it may well be a youthful inexperienced one, Doolan is definitely worth keeping for his leadership qualities. Even though his own form has been poor this year by his standards, he's been a terrific captain and always on hand helping his team mates and rallying the troops.

He's held his hands up that he's struggled with machinery this year and not performed as well as we all know he can, but he seemed to get things right towards the end and had a strong finish to the season. He now has a more attractive average too.

First name on the team sheet for me.

• Like 1

I would imagine its kept the club going when we didn't have a sponsor. That's just a guess though. I am sure others will have their own ideas

Surely the average gates of 1,500 - 2,000 would have been enough to pay all the bills, after all every team was put together on the cheap for the last 10 years of elite league participation, so no great cost there.

Oh no not the what happened to the scott nicholls money question again? I throught that was answered a couple of years ago the money was spent on keeping the club going. I love all the speculation over who will be hear next season I suspect we won't have long to wait to get the answer

From the Speedway Star (week 12 Nov), page 39, in the Australia section Peter White reports:

"The Aussie grapevine is linking the highly promising Rohan Tungate with Ipswich next year and the equally-talented Mason Campton with Glasgow.

Both boys, along with Sean McLellan, would be prize signings. Good luck to any club that takes the plunge - these three are winners.

Another rider heading for Britain, for the first time, in 2012 will be North Queenslader Damien koppe, son of former Exeter and Canterbury rider Steve Koppe. He's not sure where he'll be based. His girlfriend is a doctor so it will depend on where she can land a job."

Even teams that are put together on the cheap, still don't come cheap. Also a lot of other clubs make extra revenue from food and drinks kiosks. We don't so it all adds up. You know I don't wear rose tinted, but I genuinely believe that the money kept the club going.

Fair enough we are all entitled to our opinions even if others dont agree, thats democracy for you. But just think on 1,500 x £16 = £2,400 and £2.50 for programmes on top of the huge gates at Easter and Bank Holiday Monday. Thats alot of dosh when only tracking one heatleader (Nicholls) who by his own words did not ask for much to ride for Witches (16 lapper). Me thinks just perhaps alot of that 36k never made its way back in to helping the Witches stay in the elite league with a competitive team. So hence the drop of a league to premier and its lesser quality riders, not like the elite league stars who so graced foxhall for nearly 40 years.

Edited by aljack

I can't imagine the Poles came cheap however poor they were.

I can - its a well known fact that Polish workers come here and are happy to settle for half the price a Brit will !

I would hazard a guess that except your world class Poles, the second rate ones that Ippo and Newport for example used to sign were fairly cheap !

I can - its a well known fact that Polish workers come here and are happy to settle for half the price a Brit will !

I would hazard a guess that except your world class Poles, the second rate ones that Ippo and Newport for example used to sign were fairly cheap !

Spot on Wanna my sentiments exactly :t:

Fair enough we are all entitled to our opinions even if others dont agree, thats democracy for you. But just think on 1,500 x £16 = £2,400 and £2.50 for programmes on top of the huge gates at Easter and Bank Holiday Monday. Thats alot of dosh when only tracking one heatleader (Nicholls) who by his own words did not ask for much to ride for Witches (16 lapper). Me thinks just perhaps alot of that 36k never made its way back in to helping the Witches stay in the elite league with a competitive team. So hence the drop of a league to premier and its lesser quality riders, not like the elite league stars who so graced foxhall for nearly 40 years.

Don't forget about the other things that all add up,like new air fence panels. St johns, paramedic, various insurance, flights, hotels, referee and diesel for tractors and rent. It soon adds up.

The stadium rent was £1400 a match in 1996 when the witches almost closed. Ajerk's comment about the standard of the riders being low when compared to the el and the super stars or the last 40 years what rubbish the standard of the el has been poor for the last few.years and appears to be worse every year you may have the likes of holder ward lindgren riding full time el but other than that the standard is not great for a.league being called the elite

I was thinking more along the lines of flying them in and out of the UK.

I'll go with what you say though as you know a lot more about the ins and outs of speedway promotion than me I'd imagine.

The stadium rent was £1400 a match in 1996 when the witches almost closed. Ajerk's comment about the standard of the riders being low when compared to the el and the super stars or the last 40 years what rubbish the standard of the el has been poor for the last few.years and appears to be worse every year you may have the likes of holder ward lindgren riding full time el but other than that the standard is not great for a.league being called the elite

Then what does that say about the standard of the Premier league? I don't understand how people can make digs about the poor standard of the Elite league on one hand while on the other champion the merits of the Premier league!!