British Speedway Forum

Shawn Moran Dvd

TonyMac

The following review by Speedway Star editor Richard Clark appears in this week's issue...

AT last, a DVD about David East. Er, Steve Colombo. No, we mean Shooey.

And, such is his iconic status within the sport, that the minute you mention Shooey, anyone and everyone who was there when he plied his trade will immediately conjure up a memory of a dynamic little ball of speed, balance and bravery in the thick of some of the sport’s all-time greats, often performing near-miracles.

But David East? Steve Colombo?

Well, they enter the picture almost from the get-go, when Dennis Sigalos, just one of many greats included, and Rick Miller, likewise, have a debate with one Shawn Moran about who he really is/was.

Ah, Shawn Moran, now you’re getting warm.

And he was, indeed, Mr. East when that ever-enterprising promoter, the late, great Ian Thomas, hauled him over to Hull when he was a mere stripling to take part in a couple of challenge matches. Being under age, Shawn didn’t qualify for an international licence, but Mr. Thomas was never one to allow red tape to prove much of a hindrance, hence the appearance of one David East in the programme. And, later, Mr. Colombo. But, when the real Shawn Moran stands up, his racing credentials begin, alongside elder brother Kelly, on mini-bikes.

In a series of present-day interviews, Shawn recalls those early days, where the likes of Chad and Terri McQueen, sons of famous American actor Steve McQueen (come on, you must recall The Great Escape, for the motorbike shenanigans, or Bullitt for the car chase?), were their racing companions.

From there, it’s a Barry Briggs training school at Lake Elsinore on board 500cc’s, in the tyre-tracks of big bro’ Kelly. As their respective careers accelerate, so the vintage footage appears.

A cracking race between Shawn and the mighty PC during a World Team Cup qualifier at King’s Lynn, then on to London’s White City where a pumped up USA go all out, determined to win the World Cup for the fallen Denny Pyeatt.

And you get a true sense of their in-camp camaraderie as they watch from the pits as Shawn clinches the trophy. Two top drawer Kelly v Shawn encounters during a 1982 Eastbourne v Sheffield encounter at Arlington, before the two team up once more to make mincemeat of England’s John Davis and Chris Morton at a rain-soaked Plough Lane during an England v USA Test encounter.

Shawn talks candidly of the broken leg he suffered in 1983, and his views on the man who put him in the fence. Incredibly, after being ‘smuggled’ out of a Hackney hospital by Sheffield team-mate Reg Wilson and driven up to Scotland to miracle doctor Carlo Biagi, Shawn started undergoing treatment to try and get him fit enough for the World Long-track Final six weeks later. ”I couldn’t bend the leg fully, but enough to pass the doctor at Marianske Lazne,” recalls Shawn.

And there’s some footage of that very Final in Czechoslovakia where Shooey became the first-ever American to win the World Long-track crown. Watch in disbelief as he still has to limp on to the rostrum at the end. There’s a humdinger of a Shawn v Kenny Carter race for the Overseas title at Bradford in 1985, and, topping that, Erik Gundersen’s stunning swoop against Shawn and Lance King in the Bradford Final the same year.

Don’t worry, Shooey gets his own back in a textbook first bend move against ‘Gundo’ during the Long Beach World Team Cup Final. That particular one leaves you wondering how Shawn stayed in the saddle, let alone do what he did!

He talks of his reluctance at being appointed USA skipper in succession to Bobby Schwartz, brother Kelly joining him at Sheffield, then their enforced move across the Pennines to Belle Vue upon the Tigers’ demise. There’s a load of Kirky Lane footage from that ‘88 campaign and he talks about failing an alcohol test before a meeting at Krsko.

An even bigger run-in with the authorities awaits, however. In 1990, Shawn piled up in Sweden just prior to the Overseas Final at Coventry. He was offered painkillers, but diligently asked the doctor if it was okay to take them. Reassured once, he then ‘phoned Maurice Ducker, then BSPA chairman, on his return to England who, at first, also reassured him but then, following a chat with Eric Boocock, called back and warned Shawn against them. Too late, so Shawn came clean with the doctor prior to the Coventry event, offering to stand down rather than risk failing a test.

He was indeed tested, but nothing was said, so he went on to the Inter-Continental Final, got through that, and, with silence still emanating from the FIM, lined up in the World Final at Bradford at least two months later. You can feast your eyes upon all of Shawn's outings that Yorkshire afternoon, but the pick is undoubtedly one of the great World Final races between him and super Swede Per Jonsson. It felt like a ‘great’ at the time. The footage merely confirms.

And there he is with his silver medal at the end. Unbelievably, a World Team Cup silver medal. One which, later, he was stripped of for that failed drugs test. To this day, it has to be asked, what exactly did the FIM know going into that Final?

Incredibly, within four years, it’s all up.

And, as Greg Hancock so wisely says in a series of tributes that follow Shawn’s own story (contributions from Eric Boocock, Sean Wilson, Bengt Jansson, Bobby Schwartz and Herbie himself), probably one of the bravest things Shooey ever did was to walk away admitting his nerve had failed him.

Even now, he admits he has no idea why that was the case. Tough times were to follow, none worse than losing brother Kelly, heartbreaking times for the Moran family. But the Shooey we meet here does appear to be coming to terms with it all as best he can. He’s had a few more pieces than some to have to pick up and for anyone touched by the man, which undoubtedly includes anybody who came within the orbit of Kelly and Shawn in those halcyon days, it’s so good to see him facing up to any demons he may have.

There are some raw emotions touched upon here, along with some golden, golden memories.

It’s been some journey for young David East!

To order this DVD for £16 (post-free in the UK), go to http://www.retro-speedway.com or phone the Retro Speedway debit/credit card hotline on 01708 734 502.

What's Steve Colombo (sic) got to do with Shawn Moran?

Edited by frigbo

What's Steve Colombo got to do with Shawn Moran?

I'd ask the same question, as well.

I have re-read that review several times to try and understand.

We all know that David East was a pseudonym used by Shawn Moran at the end of 1979, But is it being said that he later masqueraded as Steve Columbo as well!

I'd like to hear an explanation of that particular story.

Columbo rode a few unsuccessful matches at Birmingham towards the end of 1979 and had similarly poor returns for Eastbourne in the Gold Cup at the start of 1980. Interestingly on the same night as I, myself, first saw Shawn Moran ride (at The Shay) and score a good 7 points Mr Columbo was having his last two pointless rides for Eastbourne at Swindon, probably 120 miles away!

Actually, Both Columbo and 'David East' rode in the same team at Hull on October 24, 1979 ... or did they? ... is that the story?

I suppose we will have to pay our money and buy the DVD!

Edited by speedwayondisc

I'd ask the same question, as well.

I have re-read that review several times to try and understand.

We all know that David East was a pseudonym used by Shawn Moran at the end of 1979, But is it being said that he later masqueraded as Steve Columbo as well!

I'd like to hear an explanation of that particular story.

Columbo rode a few unsuccessful matches at Birmingham towards the end of 1979 and had similarly poor returns for Eastbourne in the Gold Cup at the start of 1980. Interestingly on the same night as I, myself, first saw Shawn Moran ride (at The Shay) and score a good 7 points Mr Columbo was having his last two pointless rides for Eastbourne at Swindon, probably 120 miles away!

Actually, Both Columbo and 'David East' rode in the same team at Hull on October 24, 1979 ... or did they? ... is that the story?

I suppose we will have to pay our money and buy the DVD!

Indeed. The Steve Columbo I know of had a real name of Stephen Rausa.

Mmm - what's the story, morning glory?

Maybe it is regarding that 4TT at Hull on 24.10.79??

Edited by frigbo

The mention in the review of Steve Colombo is referring to a funny 'scene' on the DVD, filmed on Shawn's return to the States in April, when he met up with old pals Dennis Sigalos, Rick Miller and others and they went riding in the Californian desert. They are chatting away in front of the camera and Siggy jokingly refers to Shooey as 'David East' and then asks him: 'Or are you Steve Colombo?'

I think Siggy believes that Shawn rode under the name of Colombo in an end of season challenge match at Ipswich in 1979 - the Witches v Bruce Penhall's Surfers. I think Colombo was named in the programme and I'm pretty certain that he rode. Without checking the prog, Shawn may well have ridden at Ipswich that night, but most likely as David East!