British Speedway Forum

Long Lived Speedway

dantodan

This could help the debate

It certainly does. Thanks for the info, speedyguy.

Just to clarify one thing:

RYE HOUSE.

Opened May 27 1934. Address: Rye House Stadium, Rye Road, Hoddesdon, Herts. In 1999 Rye House entered a team in the Conference League - most home matches took place at Mildenhall.

Rye House closed on 10 October 1993 and then reopened on 29 May 2000 (after running a year as you say mostly at Mildenhall in 1999). Also, although the track was open as a training track in 1967/68, no public meetings were held. They were also one of the few tracks to run during the War, with meetings being held every War year except 1944, with racing resuming on 5 August 1945.

(I believe there's a good book out which will give more information on the subject! See here :lol:

It certainly does. Thanks for the info, speedyguy.

Just to clarify one thing:

Rye House closed on 10 October 1993 and then reopened on 29 May 2000 (after running a year as you say mostly at Mildenhall in 1999). Also, although the track was open as a training track in 1967/68, no public meetings were held. They were also one of the few tracks to run during the War, with meetings being held every War year except 1944, with racing resuming on 5 August 1945.

(I believe there's a good book out which will give more information on the subject! See here :lol:

Great info Norbold. LONDON SPEEDWAYS has amended its Rye House referenec to read:

RYE HOUSE.

Opened May 27 1934. Address: Rye House Stadium, Rye Road, Hoddesdon, Herts. Rye House closed on October 10 1993 then reopened on May 29 2000 after they entered a team in the 1999 Conference League - most home matches took place at Mildenhall. Although the track was open as a training track in 1967/68, no public meetings were held. They were also one of the few tracks to run during the War, with meetings being held every War year except 1944, with racing resuming on August 5 1945.

And that is indeed an informative book about Rye House, I recall a very learned review of it in a south London newspaper when it came out.

Edited by speedyguy

Guest compost

Speedguy - some of your 'to' dates are a little bit out due to venue usage as special 'one off' venues. The obvious one would be Wembley but also Harringay and White City (London) also held Speedway events after the date you've got listed. Not sure if it's relevent though.

Speedguy - some of your 'to' dates are a little bit out due to venue usage as special 'one off' venues. The obvious one would be Wembley but also Harringay and White City (London) also held Speedway events after the date you've got listed. Not sure if it's relevent though.

Any updating re your comment would be appreciated. Thank you.

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

Edited by speedyguy

CLAPTON.

[Please refer to Lea Bridge). Clapton was an alternate name used by the team for some seasons in the early 1930s. There was also a Clapton Stadium but this only staged greyhound racing.

Not that it has anything to do with speedway, but Clapton Stadium was also home to Clapton Orient F.C. before they moved off to Leyton and became Leyton Orient.

I lived next door to Clapton Stadium for the first 18 years of my life - and when I say next door, I mean next door! We were THE house next door. Shame there was no speedway there as I think I would have seen my first meeting well before 1960 if there had been....