British Speedway Forum

Kennett Suspended!

Without evidence from that particular meeting, I cannot see how Kennett's scores can be removed from anything other than the Lakeside match.

Precisely. It was the Lakeside meeting and the Lakeside meeting only that there is evidence of wrongdoing for. You can't just start adjusting the results of other meetings with no proof that anyone did anything wrong.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.coventrybees.co/homepage

EDWARD KENNETT STATEMENT - AUG 11

Thursday August 11, 2011

After the events of the last few days and with my Disciplinary Hearing coming up next Tuesday I feel that the least I can do to help repair some of the damage this incident has done to Coventry, my team mates and above all Coventry supporters, is to resign from the club with immediate effect.

Coventry is in my blood and I would not wish to do any more to harm the club or the supporters that I love. I know that I will be punished on Tuesday and I am prepared to accept whatever that decision is for the good of British Speedway.

Edward Kennett

Sad sad day :(

:( Very sad day,i suppose he thought he was doing the right thing.i will miss him.hes my favourite rider.good luck eddie with everything,hope you back at coventry next year. :(

Kk didnt use illegal silencers on tuesday. Theres nothing to say that he didnt use them at Brandon or at Perry Barr in the B fixture against the Bees. Should points from those meetings be re-apportioned as well?

It simply isnt feasible to back date result changes when nothing can be proved. Didn't happen with Leon, shouldnt happen this season either.

Didn't seem unduly worried when Leon Madsen carried on riding for Poole last year though.Mind you it would have probably better for Poole if he had been banned. :lol:

I'm sure if he had been using them over here he would have been banned same as KK will be if he's found to be using them here. The point of my post was that Mr Boon seems quite happy to have his team reach the playoffs knowing that one of his team was cheating.

Well said Fliss44

Same here.couldnt agree with you more.its such a shame.keep your chin up eddie.there are alot of people who think alot of you.hope you come back to coventry next year,take care mate.

Edited by Tracy M

Without evidence from that particular meeting, I cannot see how Kennett's scores can be removed from anything other than the Lakeside match.

Having been found guilty at Lakeside it would be for Kennett to prove he didn't use the illegal silencer at Belle Vue. Dont blame bv one bit and Coventry should be backing them in the name of fair play.

First and foremost, a ban acts as a deterrent to other riders. It also shows that the British authorities will come down hard on cheats.

Of course, this may be harsh on Kennett, as he is effectively being made a scapegoat, but unless he is dealt with severely it will simply open the floodgates for riders to flaunt the rules.

The presumption that punishment is a deterrent is a fallacy: It used to be the fall back argument with capital punishment but nobody in law enforcement uses that argument, especially in the USA where States with capital punishment had a five percent higher murder rate that non-death penalty States when capital punishment was reintroduced but that number has now risen to risen to 69% proving that the deterrance theory a complete fallacy.

I'm sure if he had been using them over here he would have been banned same as KK will be if he's found to be using them here. The point of my post was that Mr Boon seems quite happy to have his team reach the playoffs knowing that one of his team was cheating.

Ah I see,Leon was selective in which countries he wished to cheat in then.Cheating all over Europe,but scrupulously fair when he turned up at Wimbourne Road. :rolleyes::rofl:

true it should be hard but fair.

I also believe for complete fairness Eddies scores for the season should be expunged from the league and results adjusted accordingly. Unfortunately this has brought disrepute on Coventry results and in the name of fair play, the Coventry management should be asking for this as a sign that they don't wish to benefit from illegal points scoring,

I would like to think the ban would be no more than the remainder of this season.

On what basis? Presumably you think that if someone is found guilty of nicking a tin of beans from Tesco, the rest of their foodcupboards, fridge and freezer should be stripped bare in case that was how they got all their food? Thankfully in this country you do actually have to be found guilty of something before being punished for it - the situation is that Ed is guilty of using the illegal silencer at ONE meeting - so the result of that should be amended, and indeed has been. There are no reasonable grounds for altering any other results though.

Totally agree.

I may be wrong but I believe you are missing the point a little. I think Hatcham's point is that Holder "tells us" he is injured, and Kennett "tells us" he knew nothing - none of us have any evidence to dispute either case. ;)

But in the Holder case we do at least have some evidence to show that he is more than likely telling the truth.

If Edward says he did not know, I will accept it until he admits otherwise or it proven otherwise.

Ah I see,Leon was selective in which countries he wished to cheat in then.Cheating all over Europe,but scrupulously fair when he turned up at Wimbourne Road. :rolleyes::rofl:

In fairness, the new silencers weren't being used in many places at all last year, so to suggest that Madsen was cheating anywhere other than where he got caught is foolishness.

You obviously do not have Sky otherwise you would have seen that Chris had three crashes on Monday night.

I am neither a Holder or Poole fan but if he says he was injured I am satisfied that he was injured.

And maybe he was !but he was said to be tired on Monday and you can guarantee he ll be ok to practice tomorrow , so it does beg the question! and if he was guilty i fail to see how its no worse than the Eddie situation. i of course believe them both though!

Exactly. Something josietoms, Steve Shovlar and others fail to grasp.

I think that some people would like for all Edwards points to be taken away from him for this year but keep his rides intact and thus he ends up with a zero average for the season: Then some promoter or other can sign him next year as a three point rider. ...... :cheers::drink:

I'

. The point of my post was that Mr Boon seems quite happy to have his team reach the playoffs knowing that one of his team was cheating.

Me too I've got £600 riding on them.

Having been found guilty at Lakeside it would be for Kennett to prove he didn't use the illegal silencer at Belle Vue. Dont blame bv one bit and Coventry should be backing them in the name of fair play.

The presumption of innocence remains intact for all other meetings unless it can be proved otherwise. Edward does not have to prove he was innoccent in any other meeting than the one his silencer was deemed to be illegal in.

I see Belle Vue are trying to claim something back for their draw last week. Surely the only result of that will see them regard permission to use Harris & Schlein next season?

Trust Shifty Jim Lynch to start jumping on the bandwagon. If he thought Kennett or anyone else was cheating at Belle Vue he should have put his hand in his pocket and paid the protest fee at the time, not wait for someone else to pay the fee a week late, then start screaming about it.

And maybe he was !but he was said to be tired on Monday and you can guarantee he ll be ok to practice tomorrow , so it does beg the question! and if he was guilty i fail to see how its no worse than the Eddie situation. i of course believe them both though!

Not going into the rights or wrongs

BUT

One vital difference. A tired rider can be a danger to any other rider on the track.

A cheating rider is just a cheat.

Didn't seem unduly worried when Leon Madsen carried on riding for Poole last year though.Mind you it would have probably better for Poole if he had been banned. :lol:

I am not sure why people keep banging on about Madsen as if it was the same situation. Last year, it was only certain FIM events (GP qualifier and under 21s?) that riders had to use the new silencers at. Not any GPs, World Cup nor any leagues.

Madsen was caught and the FIM jury decided on the punishment. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with the punishment won't change that decision.

He was free to continue to ride wherever he wanted after that. Though, after the play-offs, maybe Poole wish he HAD been banned :rofl: