British Speedway Forum

Swc Final Line Ups

You'd have to be mad to pass all four riders in each race when one of them is yourself !

Okay Mr. Pedantic.

Edit coming shortly. ;)

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerzy Szczakeil a true great ? Egon Muller a true great ? Your're having a laugh !

How many times were the above two in the top 3 of the world championship ? Gollob as well as winning one world title has won the World Cup many times mainly being top scorer and captain and been at the top of the sport for a very long time as well as being one of the most entertaining riders of all time .

To me Gollob is true great for many reason than just winning one world title .

Dont think it was one of the best meetings I`ve seen , I think the exitement was provided by Poland & Australia being so close on the scores, Thought Boyce would have given Rory another go after Watts poor display the previous meeting but I think he got carried away with having all Poole riders, A mistake in my opinion .

Ah, now you are doing a stevebrum and moving away from your original point and talking specifically about Gollob.

Your comment was that ANY rider who wins a world title will go down as a true great. I have pointed out two occasions where world titles have been won unexpectedly and in controversial circumstances by riders who were not generally regarded as world class material.

If you win a World Title then you are one of the sports great riders.

If you win multiple World Titles, then I say you can be classed as an all time great rider.

Thank god for difference of opinion. :cheers:

Naturally i`m with DK on this one.

Did I miss something last night ? Can't recall Boycie using a sub for the appalling Watt or to a lesser extent Ward. The Aussies were really a 3 man team, if he didn't ring the changes thats as bad as Middlo bringing in Bridger.

:rolleyes:

The SWC stepped up again and provided the best racing of the year. Cracking viewing and showed all what is good about the sport.

Did I miss something last night ? Can't recall Boycie using a sub for the appalling Watt or to a lesser extent Ward. The Aussies were really a 3 man team, if he didn't ring the changes thats as bad as Middlo bringing in Bridger.

He had to be 6pts behind to do that. :rolleyes:

WE can argue all night about the degree of greatness that Gollob deserves but has there ever been a more entertaining rider? His performance last night was breathtaking and truly inspirational for his team-mates whose heads were drooping after a poor start.

I agree with that wholeheartedly, he took the meeting by the scruff of the neck and turned it upside down in those 2 heats. Chris Harris has shown similar inspirational qualites in domestic racing and if he can continue to improve we may well one day have our own version of Gollob, now that would be nice, it may be 10 or so years away though.

Great or not great - Gollob last night INSPIRED his Team to victory. Both he AND Marek Cieslak (sic) the Polish Manager were a class apart.

I do hope that nobody says that the Poles were cheating. I haven't heard or seen anything. I would suggest that IF anyone has said that - then sour grapes seem to be the order of the day.

BEST Team won!!!!!

Great or not great - Gollob last night INSPIRED his Team to victory. Both he AND Marek Cieslak (sic) the Polish Manager were a class apart.

I do hope that nobody says that the Poles were cheating. I haven't heard or seen anything. I would suggest that IF anyone has said that - then sour grapes seem to be the order of the day.

BEST Team won!!!!!

There are one or 2 posts earlier in this thread that appear to cast doubt on the integrity of the Poles win. As you say, sour grapes, it was a great fightback.

Sky+'d this last night so the question has to be

Is it worth watching?????????

Sure is, although may not be as exciting now you know the score, but heat 25 is fantastic considering the situation at that point, but I would mute your sound at heats 9 and 10 because Pearson really lost it again and was screaming way beyond is usual shouting and screaming, not to mention the embarrassing singing.

Dont think it was one of the best meetings I`ve seen , I think the exitement was provided by Poland & Australia being so close on the scores, Thought Boyce would have given Rory another go after Watts poor display the previous meeting but I think he got carried away with having all Poole riders, A mistake in my opinion .

Played the Pearson drinking game last night.Everytime he says "Sensational" during a meeting you have to neck half a pint.Ended up having 13 pints.seriously for me to be a classic meeting the outside line has to work a bit better,last night only 7 outside passes in 25 heats(I counted) and 4 of those were by riders on gate 4 on the 1st,2nd bend lap 1 ,there seemed to be alot of I go wide you come underneath,you go wide I come underneath.I know the Poles had a terrible start but 2 rides from Gollob(1 joker) gave them virtual parity and then they were in front 1 heat later,did anyone think they would lose from that position.

WE can argue all night about the degree of greatness that Gollob deserves but has there ever been a more entertaining rider? His performance last night was breathtaking and truly inspirational for his team-mates whose heads were drooping after a poor start.

That is the beauty of opinions Phil..

Unfortunately some think there opinion is the defination. :wink:

Sure is, although may not be as exciting now you know the score, but heat 25 is fantastic considering the situation at that point, but I would mute your sound at heats 9 and 10 because Pearson really lost it again and was screaming way beyond is usual shouting and screaming, not to mention the embarrassing singing.

Pearson was embarrassing last night and Tatum got caught up in it several times. Dumb and Dumber sprung to mind!

In one way, and I know it's terrible to say this, I was glad GB weren't in the final as the commentary would have been pure jingoism for 25 heats.

Interesting comments from Ryan Sullivan in interview during the Wroclaw v Torun match,he was asked if Austrailias chances would have been better if he had been in the team.His reply was..

"Austrailia dont want me in the team and I was cheering on Poland anyway." :blink: