British Speedway Forum

British Grand Prix 2012

Been here for years disagreed with loads of posts and posters.have you always agreed with everyone?Not from my memory and seems quite often start calling people names.....so i refer you to my previous post,put up or please shut up :t:

I'll always 'put up' when I have a decent contribution to make. Time for you to jog on.

I'll always 'put up' when I have a decent contribution to make. Time for you to jog on.

Yeah,when.....few and far between those occasions.Do it now then or just log out as this sort of thing is very boring for everyone including me

• Like 3

Ok , back safely to Preston ( went with a friend whose only other Speedway ' live ' meet was the British Final at Cov earlier in the yr ) and he enjoyed every minute and frankly so did I ( maybe Im easily pleased )

We had a lovely stop in a B&B just on the outskirts of Newport and bumped into a couple of Belle Vue fans like me ( drowned ours sorrows over breakfast ) , had a great curry on the Saturday , bought a nice couple of books off an author in the Speedway Fayre and off Nick Barber whomn I deal with a bit on Ebay ( some nice badges acquired ) , loved the atmosphere , had a lovely family infront of us , dad with 4 young lads reminded me of my youth and watching Speedway ( not quite in the same luxurious surroundings !! ) , thought the best man won , some decent races including one great Semi , drove home and when the date is confirmed tomm I wil ring up the B&B and book in for 2013 !!!!

Glass Half Full/Half Empty - all entitled to our opinion - I loved every minute

Chris

• Like 2

Had a great weekend (apparently) love the City anyway as I helped build some of it (The newer bits!) but perhaps having been to all 12 the novelty of the event has worn a little....the meeting and racing was ok but didnt think it was as amazing as some think...like a previous poster put its all about opinions....mind u unlike the mini bar I dont feel totally empty!

• Like 1

Had a great weekend (apparently) love the City anyway as I helped build some of it (The newer bits!) but perhaps having been to all 12 the novelty of the event has worn a little....the meeting and racing was ok but didnt think it was as amazing as some think...like a previous poster put its all about opinions....mind u unlike the mini bar I dont feel totally empty!

An empty mini bar, that sounds like an expensive week end :drink:

Bernie Ecclestone said much the same thing, but the public and television companies eventually said otherwise ;-)

DIDN'T stop Sky dishing out hundreds of millions

I'd agree that good race doesn't necessarily have passing, but if there's little passing in any race then I do think that's a concern.

Why would the fees for disparate artists grow out of proportion? I think it's more likely the available budget for things decreased.

BECAUSE in the early days the acts were not announced in advance but now they are.

Unfortunately, it puts the relative importance of speedway into context.

IN that case why would they should it at all and devote a huge amount of resources and expense to cover the British GP in the manner in which they do?

Might upset you but I agree, a few of us said Saturday night that after 12 years we're not sure of the event has lost it's sparkle or if it's the familiarity of it all.

Didn't see any of the Nationals given a good write up before the GP. And the Racing post sports section that aiways do a small piece for the GP's gave the British GP EXACTLY 2.3 inches, And even then, they struggled to put Chris Holders name at the bottom as their tip. Really does put British speedway into context.

Didn't see any of the Nationals given a good write up before the GP. And the Racing post sports section that aiways do a small piece for the GP's gave the British GP EXACTLY 2.3 inches, And even then, they struggled to put Chris Holders name at the bottom as their tip. Really does put British speedway into context.

LITTLE or no chance these days but once the football season starts, with cricket and the paralympics, forget it.

Thirty years ago when Gary Havelock won his World title I was working for the News of the World and they afforded his win an inside page lead despite the football. Times have changed sadly.

Classic Steve Brandon when interviewing Chris Holder after the epic Heat 8 with Emil.

"I mean at least you know now what a Russian kitchen sink looks like he threw everything at you then"

Chris Holder, after this Cardiff performance truly does look like a World Champion in the making. I've got so much admiration for him to succeed this year. He looks the real deal then ever before.

LITTLE or no chance these days but once the football season starts, with cricket and the paralympics, forget it.

Thirty years ago when Gary Havelock won his World title I was working for the News of the World and they afforded his win an inside page lead despite the football. Times have changed sadly.

Yep, don't we know it..

That was my fourth British GP and I loved it, the atmosphere around and inside the stadium, thought the racing was pretty decent, and Keith Flint was there! Don't tell me speedway isn't cool!

As a sporting spectacle, it is still pure theatre and one of the best live nights of sport around.

Phil... Does this tell us more about the press, the state of the sport in the UK, or a bit of both?