British Speedway Forum

British Grand Prix 2012

Fletch im sure would be a brilliant anchor if Sky ever snared him....they wont so irrelevent! Phil do u know if BSI intend to talk to Cardiff tourism about the hike in prices?! I was lucky as I booked Hilton last minute cheaper than jurys etc....getting pished now lol well done to my 'friend' Noddy lol

Bearing in mind your progress towards inebriation, did you mean a 'brilliant anchor'? Or was it a slip of the tongue???! :D

Well done to Chris and a Poole 1-2-3.

Just back at hotel in Caerphilly, congratulations to Chris Holder. Some very good racing, good performance from Scotty, bomber got better after a shocking start but too late.

The crowd looked abit down, although it was packed near me in middle tier. At the end of the day it's more about the atmosphere, tonight as ever was electric.

Must say great to see so many in Rico t shirts, truely brilliant. RIP

You mentioned the earphone you were given, did everyone who bought a programme get them? If so that's pretty decent, did you find it distracting during the racing?

They were included in the price I was told, pretty steep at a tenner!!. Bought mine at lunchtime from the fan zone.

I didn't find it distracting at all, it actually enhanced my enjoyment of the occasion.

I've been a big fan of radio commentary ever since I used to listen to midweek football on a transistor radio under the covers a kid in the 70's.

Edited by Shadders

Congratulations to Chris Holder on an awesome display tonight. First interview after a GP i can remember when he hasn't been 'stoked' though!!

I think that is now 6 out of 12 stagings at Cardiff that have been won by an Aussie, Crump 3, Holder 2 and Sullivan. Is that also the first GP at Cardiff when a Brit hasn't won a single race? Plymouth fans must be chuffed with Barker for choosing a non riding appearance at Cardiff ahead of the PL Pairs on Friday when the other reserve Josh Auty did both.

Couldn't justify the costs of tickets and travel myself again this year whenever it was going to be staged so made do with SKY again. Looked a good meeting with the usual excellent Cardiff atomosphere. Might go next year finances and ticket prices allowing.

And, Sky couldn't even show the Trophy presentation, very very poor by Sky.

• Like 1

I think that's because Speedway just isn't a sport that anyone notices so as long as the meeting is shown then it's job done by Sky. They may have made an exception if a Brit had won but still unlikely.

I thought the racing started off brilliantly in heat 1 and 2 but died down after that with only the odd heat with anything of any note. I always feel we glorify how good it is just because it's the British GP.

Holder isn't my favourite rider but he was a class above the rest of the field tonight. Bomber was most disappointing which was a shame to see. It'd have been nice for the fans who'd travelled there to have something to shout about.

Bearing in mind your progress towards inebriation, did you mean a 'brilliant anchor'? Or was it a slip of the tongue???! :D

Well done to Chris and a Poole 1-2-3.

Lmao no slip of the tongue but deffo a few slips down the neck! Jeez these keys r gerrin smaller (hic) by the second.....

btw thought the meeting generallallally was cack!

Well done Poole Pirates. Just shown what a mockery the team building rules in this country are. Let's hope the AGM gets tasty again.

:t:

NEVER write off Fast Freddie :lol:

A decent comeback after 3 dodgy rides. He needs to keep his form going with Antonio breaking into the top 8 and with AJ capable of a big finish.

Nice to see Middlo reward Tai as our next best hope on the International stage by giving reserve spots to PL riders.

Its clear his heart is with the Aussies. Shameful.

What an awesome GP. Cardiff yet again rises to the occasion as the pinnacle of the series.

Really? Must have come across better on TV, cos although the cardiff experience is enjoyable, the racing was dull.

Holder clearly the most popular rider there tonight after the Brits.

Only after Hancock & Gollob were out of the equation.

CROWD was just under 38,000 which was about 12 per cent down on last year.

About 8000 under? Thought it looked the lowest crowd at Cardiff for a good few years.

Also, noticed Keith Flint from the Prodigy was interviewed on the screen, but I couldn't hear. Is he a speedway fan? I had no idea!

He's a huge bike fan. Often visits MotoGP races and joins the Eurosport commentary team.

Edited by Wackie

really loved watching this one. Good to see Hans A getting into it. If people didn't like the racing then they're going to be sorely disappointed with speedway anywhere else!

It was good to hear that Greg H offered Chris advice of gates after Greg was out of the running.

Disappointing that the usual negative moaners on this forum try bring in downers on Poole , Middlo, Premier Leauge blah blah. when it's a GP thread.

Congrats to Chris H, handled the track and his interviews extremely well.

• Like 2

After watching an entertaining British GP I was looking forward to it being topped off by seeing the presentation of the trophy's, but no, all we saw was a gentleman walk up to the podium with, I presume the 3rd place trophy and then the programme finished.

They then showed 'bits and pieces' from the meeting. A poor finish to the night. :cry:

We have the Speed Channel feed here in Aus with Fletch and Jan doing the commentating. I am gutted for the Sky viewers not to have seen the entire trophy celebrations like we did here. I did notice that the transmission here over ran into 6am but still managed to show the whole presentation and celebrations with Chris.

Nice piece with Keith Flint from The Prodigy. He said he was a first time viewer to Speedway live and was impressed by the whole package it brought. No breaks and the smell of fuel were his words bless him!!

Keith talked about owning and riding his own racing team for his Enduro bikes. He's actually leading their Championship. We saw Mark Webber and John McGuiness at the meeting on TV, with John doing a really good interview with Brando.

Does Sky Sports News and Sky News in their sports segments actually do anything to promote and cover the British Speedway GP. On Speed Channel here I'd say nearly every commercial it has with the racing coverage they show and promote Speedway for Grand Prix's, Elite Lge and mention Darcy Ward and Chris Holder rather a lot.

Surely someone at Sky can sort out a package on footage and reporting for Speedway at league and GP level to feature in bullitins. I'm not saying all the time, but certainly when it comes to GP's and Monday night racing back home.

Edited by Undercover Elephant

When the entire sporting world wakes up to whats happening with peoples finances and lack of them, then and only then will attendances for all sporting events improve in the UK.

The Bank Holiday staging was a mistake from the start for the Britiish GP, so much going on and to compound matters Swansea playing at home and the Twenty20 Cricket finals in Cardiff. Before all berate me, we all know that many speedway fans, even the diehards do enjoy other sports outside speedway and with so much going on it is understandable that the crowd is down by so many this year.

Moving forward a complete re think on the staging date is necessary, so that it can attract as many supporters as possible and at a particular time that it does not compete against so many other events.

But the most important factor is pricing, this in no uncertain terms has a direct influence on the crowd size. This combined with lack of presentation of the product are main factors in my opinion.

Today a rather insignificant football fixture takes place at Shielfield Park in the Scottish Third Division as far as I am concerned, but it has been brought to my attention at least. Berwick Rangers will play Rangers, the resurected team from the once Scottish giants Rangers. It has captured the attention of all and sundry around Berwick, who will no doubt have a record crowd, the price for a ticket has been stated as £10. Sure some rogues will try to make a fast buck but what a experience of a lifetime for some of the Berwick fans and also some who never normally go.

Bottom line is, a Quarter full stadium at £50 a ticket and poor atmosphere or a full Stadium at £20 a ticket, with the other 75% additional fans is the spending power during their attendance and much more than that, the atmosphere.

But hey, this is never going to happen, this is British Speedway!

When the entire sporting world wakes up to whats happening with peoples finances and lack of them, then and only then will attendances for all sporting events improve in the UK.

The Bank Holiday staging was a mistake from the start for the Britiish GP, so much going on and to compound matters Swansea playing at home and the Twenty20 Cricket finals in Cardiff. Before all berate me, we all know that many speedway fans, even the diehards do enjoy other sports outside speedway and with so much going on it is understandable that the crowd is down by so many this year.

Moving forward a complete re think on the staging date is necessary, so that it can attract as many supporters as possible and at a particular time that it does not compete against so many other events.

But the most important factor is pricing, this in no uncertain terms has a direct influence on the crowd size. This combined with lack of presentation of the product are main factors in my opinion.

Today a rather insignificant football fixture takes place at Shielfield Park in the Scottish Third Division as far as I am concerned, but it has been brought to my attention at least. Berwick Rangers will play Rangers, the resurected team from the once Scottish giants Rangers. It has captured the attention of all and sundry around Berwick, who will no doubt have a record crowd, the price for a ticket has been stated as £10. Sure some rogues will try to make a fast buck but what a experience of a lifetime for some of the Berwick fans and also some who never normally go.

Bottom line is, a Quarter full stadium at £50 a ticket and poor atmosphere or a full Stadium at £20 a ticket, with the other 75% additional fans is the spending power during their attendance and much more than that, the atmosphere.

Berwick Rangers will get a sell out crowd today of 4400,all paying £10.1100 tickets were sold at Berwick with 3300 going up the road to Glasgow.

The crowd at Cardiff seems to get no bigger each year,always around the 40000+ mark,maybe dropping ticket prices would entice a few extra fans but tickets + hotel + food & drink makes it a very expensive trip for your average fan,a fan that has less money to go round than ever before,hopefully BSI will think about that when setting next years prices.

Good racing last night,and a win for Holder tightens things up nicely at the top of the World title charts.Wonder if its an idea to make Cardiff the last round,no chance of a rain-off and the title reaching its climax might get an extra few bums on seats.

Just watched Heat 19 again and the battle with Scott and KK made the difference in the end on making the Semi's for KK. Scott did himself proud once again. This surely seals CH 's fate next season. There is no justification to have him in the Series no matter how much his supporters want to see him succeed. I'm sorry people may disagree with the harsh reality as it stands after Cardiff.

Kind of Speedway related as far as start line girls go for Cardiff, but who was the cute chick in the yellow outfit last night?!!!! She was smoking beautiful!!

Enjoyed the whole day.

Daughter took along her partner, who has only ever been to two speedway meetings (EL) his words "boring", but after last night said he much prefers Cardiff and the GP, says he would defo go again. Really enjoyed it..

Congrats to Holder.

Hope Jason is ok, he looked in some pain ..

Only downside, took an age to get home.....................................

Just watched Heat 19 again and the battle with Scott and KK made the difference in the end on making the Semi's for KK. Scott did himself proud once again. This surely seals CH 's fate next season. There is no justification to have him in the Series no matter how much his supporters want to see him succeed. I'm sorry people may disagree with the harsh reality as it stands after Cardiff.

Kind of Speedway related as far as start line girls go for Cardiff, but who was the cute chick in the yellow outfit last night?!!!! She was smoking beautiful!!

I certainly dont disagree,with you,Harris has virtually no chance of making the top eight now,and cant be considered for a wildcard pick for next year IMO.Maybe a year away from the GPs might acctually help him as performances like last cant do anything for his confidence,and will give him a chance to go for the 2014 series through the qualifiers.

CROWD was just under 38,000 which was about 12 per cent down on last year. But BSI were happy in view of all the circumstances ... late August staging, Bank Holiday weekend, cricket in town, no hotels at a reasonable cost, people taking late holidays after Olympics.

Date for 2013 will be announced on Sky on Monday.

Yeah just under 38000 like 25000.

The place holds 72,500 and was no way near half full.

I only watch on TV true but I have eyes.

Any crowd figures related to speedway in this country should always be viewed with suspicion. :)

Even in the days of the '40000+ crowd I doubt many really believed that.

In the decade it's held the SGP I doubt there has been more than 40 on more than 1 or 2 occasions.

Edited by pandorum

Lot of sense spoken here about the staging date this year. Think it had to change because of the Olympics. Back to normal next year unless I'm wrong.

Not so much sense spoken when discussing Rangers though! ;)

"the once Scottish giants Rangers." Corn flakes spluttering everywhere!

THE Scottish Giants don't you mean?

35,000 season tickets sold, sell out games away and 49K at home and they're not giants?!!!

:nono:

Berwick Rangers will get a sell out crowd today of 4400,all paying £10.1100 tickets were sold at Berwick with 3300 going up the road to Glasgow.

The crowd at Cardiff seems to get no bigger each year,always around the 40000+ mark,maybe dropping ticket prices would entice a few extra fans but tickets + hotel + food & drink makes it a very expensive trip for your average fan,a fan that has less money to go round than ever before,hopefully BSI will think about that when setting next years prices.

Good racing last night,and a win for Holder tightens things up nicely at the top of the World title charts.Wonder if its an idea to make Cardiff the last round,no chance of a rain-off and the title reaching its climax might get an extra few bums on seats.

Could back fire Screm big time if series decided by that stage. I'd imagine they need a good crowd at Cardiff to subsidise some of the other venues.

25,000, 30,000, 35,000, 40,000!

What does it matter?

Are we speedway fans or accountants (God forbid!!)

We saw some good racing, were entertained by the best speedway riders in the world and should have enjoyed ourselves - whether there or on the TV.

Who says we British are moaners? :blink: