British Speedway Forum

No Laguta At Cardiff ?

I am amazed IMG dont sort all these things out for the riders in advance of the season starting. Unless they did and he was refused one? (Dad in the KGB or something :blink: )

Well, the Laguta's were born in Bolshoy Kamen, which is a closed City due to being a particularly sensitive naval base...so you never know :P

What a disgrace !

Terrorists are allowed into the country but not Laguta and im sure Laguta isn't a terrorist.

What would happen if he came into the country for a day? - Would he kill somebody?

Jesus.

No jesus was killed a long time ago so that wouldn't happen.

As for Laguta being a possible terrorist, I would be more inclined to check Bjerre out as he has blown a few things up this year.

Why is everyone so sure Laguta was refused a visa?

Taken from a report on the official Gp site

"The Czestochowa and Valsarna man has been forced to miss out after failing to secure a UK visa in time to ride."

That to me implies that the request for a visa was not put in at an early enough time to get a visa. I see no reason why exceptions should be made for sportsmen who cannot be professional enough to sort out their paperwork.

What a disgrace !

Terrorists are allowed into the country but not Laguta and im sure Laguta isn't a terrorist.

What would happen if he came into the country for a day? - Would he kill somebody?

Jesus.

what terrorists are allowed into the country? :unsure:

Ironically though if Great Britain has a list of potential nationalities to be concerned about.... then Russia would be high on the list while things are still so frosty since the Alexander Litvinenko incident

Why is everyone so sure Laguta was refused a visa?

Taken from a report on the official Gp site

"The Czestochowa and Valsarna man has been forced to miss out after failing to secure a UK visa in time to ride."

That to me implies that the request for a visa was not put in at an early enough time to get a visa. I see no reason why exceptions should be made for sportsmen who cannot be professional enough to sort out their paperwork.

No Madame,I can't accept it like that.

Let me ask again, how long does it take to issue a Russian sportsperson with a British visa?

And how come that his brother Grigory will now seemingly also not get a visa in time for the World Cup meeting in King's Lynn which is in July!!!

The saying goes: Where there's a will, there's always a way.

This one stinks! :angry:

That of course makes the assumption that he was to blame for the late paperwork, IF the paperwork was late in being provided.

One would imagine he would require to have some documentation from IMG to prove he was competing in the event. It may well have been them that were slow to provide him with this.

Just offering an alternative viewpoint ;)

But this visa problem seemingly only exists for him (and his brother) in Britain, not in any other EU countries. Why?

The UK is not part of the Schengen agreement.

For the rest of the EU they have free travel once they have their visa for one Country (presumably Latvia or Poland). To come to the UK they need a different visa.

But this visa problem seemingly only exists for him (and his brother) in Britain, not in any other EU countries. Why?

Russian nationals require only a Schengen visa to enter European countries, which is fairly easy for them to obtain. To visit the UK a totally different, UK only, visa is required, applying for which is a fairly long drawn out process, entailing visits to the embassy in Russia for biometric checks and often requiring a personal interview. There also has to be a deal of paperwork supplied before a visa can be issued.

Russian nationals require only a Schengen visa to enter European countries, which is fairly easy for them to obtain. To visit the UK a totally different, UK only, visa is required, applying for which is a fairly long drawn out process, entailing visits to the embassy in Russia for biometric checks and often requiring a personal interview. There also has to be a deal of paperwork supplied before a visa can be issued.

But he was confirmed in the GPs last October so no excuse....

How come footballers from these areas get visa's when their teams are playing British teams in Champions League and Europa League and the draw to pitch them together sometimes takes place only a couple of weeks before the match takes place?

How come footballers from these areas get visa's when their teams are playing British teams in Champions League and Europa League and the draw to pitch them together sometimes takes place only a couple of weeks before the match takes place?

Yep Tennis players etc has no such problems as well ...sounds like a cock and bull story to me .

Edited by orion

Yep Tennis players etc has no such problems as well ...sounds like a cock and bull story to me .

THE word at Cardiff over the weekend was that he didn't realise the time it takes (around 15 days apparently) to acquire a visa to come to Britain and left it late, especially as he had to surrender his passport while the application was considered. Speedway riders, especially those outside the EU, require their passports virtually every day. It also appears that the Russian federation haven't been very helpful but hopefully will get their act together to ensure a full strength Russian team arrives at King's Lynn in two weeks.