British Speedway Forum

Where Now For The Heathens?

Well as gutted as I am for Roynon our season must go on. Armstrong and Roynon are out injured and in May we face at least one challenge, one KOC, three league and one A.N.Other (Hackney?) meeting. So where the hell do we go from here? Roynon is irreplaceable on his average so a like-for-like change is off the table. We can't cover with r/r particularly as Armstrong is also out, Perry hasn't found his form yet and it's not quite clicked for Franklin either. Clearly they and one of the reserves can't score Roynon's points, although we're lucky Morris is going well. So do we make multiple changes and re-declare under the points limit as though we're starting the season from scratch? That's likely to result in an unwanted early season casualty to make room for new riders. But who's out there that can come in to a 'redesigned' line-up?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg Blair may potentially be out there, as is Mark Baseby.

Maybe James Birkinshaw as well?

Well as gutted as I am for Roynon our season must go on. Armstrong and Roynon are out injured and in May we face at least one challenge, one KOC, three league and one A.N.Other (Hackney?) meeting. So where the hell do we go from here? Roynon is irreplaceable on his average so a like-for-like change is off the table. We can't cover with r/r particularly as Armstrong is also out, Perry hasn't found his form yet and it's not quite clicked for Franklin either. Clearly they and one of the reserves can't score Roynon's points, although we're lucky Morris is going well. So do we make multiple changes and re-declare under the points limit as though we're starting the season from scratch? That's likely to result in an unwanted early season casualty to make room for new riders. But who's out there that can come in to a 'redesigned' line-up?

Haven't we been told for years this is a development league for 'british' riders. There's no foreigners in the way this year, I thought british riders were lining up to ride. Put some newbys in at the bottom and develop them.

This is what i dreaded happening Royno has been pretty much unbeatable for us in the NL, I have sent my best wishes to Royno elsewhere.

Personally I would stay loyal to who we have, and sign Mark Baseby to make up the Team, yes it may mean taking a short term hit by not being as succesful in 2011 as we would have been with Adam. It is almost impossible to find a equal rider ability wise on the average he is on, We only have i think 7.77 to replace Royno, so theres NO way we can find another 11.00 rider with a 7 + average so whoever it is we will be substantially weaker.

Kiwi, yes its a development league, but whilst we could put in another "newby" we already have Darryl and Luke, Ash who,s only 17, and Tom who is in his second season,Richard who is also Under 20, these were supported by Adam still only 22, and the experience comes from armo, who is in the veteran stage of his career. Armo is already out, and now Adam is out for a considerable time, we badly need experience at this time. The Heathens fans are argueably the best in British Speedway, but they wont stand for having a Team who may be whipping boys for the rest of the League, we need to be succesful at least at home, and competitive away, this also benefits other Teams as WE have far and away the largest away following in the NL, and the envy of many in higher Leagues, this support will not pay the hard earned and expensive costs involved in travelling away to see us thrashed. This may be controversial to say, but it is fact. We have no god given right to be succesful, but expect to see the strongest Team possible within the rules.

This is what i dreaded happening Royno has been pretty much unbeatable for us in the NL, I have sent my best wishes to Royno elsewhere.

Personally I would stay loyal to who we have, and sign Mark Baseby to make up the Team, yes it may mean taking a short term hit by not being as succesful in 2011 as we would have been with Adam. It is almost impossible to find a equal rider ability wise on the average he is on, We only have i think 7.77 to replace Royno, so theres NO way we can find another 11.00 rider with a 7 + average so whoever it is we will be substantially weaker.

Kiwi, yes its a development league, but whilst we could put in another "newby" we already have Darryl and Luke, Ash who,s only 17, and Tom who is in his second season,Richard who is also Under 20, these were supported by Adam still only 22, and the experience comes from armo, who is in the veteran stage of his career. Armo is already out, and now Adam is out for a considerable time, we badly need experience at this time. The Heathens fans are argueably the best in British Speedway, but they wont stand for having a Team who may be whipping boys for the rest of the League, we need to be succesful at least at home, and competitive away, this also benefits other Teams as WE have far and away the largest away following in the NL, and the envy of many in higher Leagues, this support will not pay the hard earned and expensive costs involved in travelling away to see us thrashed. This may be controversial to say, but it is fact. We have no god given right to be succesful, but expect to see the strongest Team possible within the rules.

See your point, but isn't better when you tough it out and find out what some of the riders are capable of when they don't have others to rely on.

One of the important factors for the Heathens in their quest for a new stadium is clearly building a big support with plenty of publicity, something they have managed spectacularly well so far. Their situation means that they need to be competitive, need to show big attendances (particularly at home) and need to rack up the column inches and broadcast coverage. So I guess they have to do whatever it takes to remain as competitive as possible.

In many ways they started with an ideal NL line-up of an out and out star, a heavy points scoring "old sweat" and a pack of young riders with potential. But Roynon on (I believe) 7.70 is an impossible act to follow. Big problem.

Better news is that Armo is back on Sunday at Brum, BTW.

Firstly what terrible news for Adam Roynon, after his horror accident at Kings Lynn I really doubted that he would come back and ride speedway competively again! Watching him at Mildenhall recently he looked fast and stylish and back to his best, so this latest setback for him is saddening to hear.

Unfotunately many teams have these problems 21st century heathen and there is every probability that Dudley wont be alone in finding themselves in a very difficult situation during the season. I certainly wouldn't make multiple changes, it is very early into the season and Perry, Franklin and Morris are all very talented young riders in my opinion and won't let you down over the season. I would think all three will improve their averages in 2011.

I understand that James Birkinshaw is looking to ride again,but would question whether his average would fit ? :unsure:

Personally I'd bring in Mark Baseby for Roynon, and look to book quality guests until Jon is ready to return.

Whatever, hopefully Dudley can continue to remain competitive and keep the crowds coming to watch them, your support certainly added to the occasion at Mildenhall recently :approve:

Haven't we been told for years this is a development league for 'british' riders. There's no foreigners in the way this year, I thought british riders were lining up to ride. Put some newbys in at the bottom and develop them.

Kiwi there is a distinct lack of riders at the standard required for the National League. It is all very well developing riders but teams need to be competitive or supporters won't watch. In my opinion it is worse this year and certainly at Buxton we struggled to field a team within the points limit and seriously questioned our ability to continue. There are a lot of youngsters competing in the U16 Champs this year but it will be a while before they are old enough to compete in the NL. Not sure where Dudley get a replacement from whoever they get wont score what Royno was but I'm sure they will pull something out of the bag.

Personally I'd bring in Mark Baseby for Roynon, and look to book quality guests until Jon is ready to return.

I agree - Mark is a very exciting rider, a crowd-pleaser and as he showed when riding for Bournemouth (@ Poole), really rises to the occasion when at a 'big club'. Mark and Dudley would be IMHO a match made in heaven...

Kiwi there is a distinct lack of riders at the standard required for the National League. It is all very well developing riders but teams need to be competitive or supporters won't watch. In my opinion it is worse this year and certainly at Buxton we struggled to field a team within the points limit and seriously questioned our ability to continue. There are a lot of youngsters competing in the U16 Champs this year but it will be a while before they are old enough to compete in the NL. Not sure where Dudley get a replacement from whoever they get wont score what Royno was but I'm sure they will pull something out of the bag.

Good point :approve:

The decision to bar all foreign riders from the NL may yet backfire - my own view being that one per club would not have made that much difference to development and its fair to suggest that they add to the attraction of meetings.

While I'd agree that there aren't that many young riders eligible, there are a number of 7 point riders (or so)who did not get a team place this season. I doubt if they would replace Roynon but someone like James Birkinshaw (who is definitely available and for whom a mid week track would be suitable) would be a reasonably good substitute.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

100% right Jayne, a point I made 18 months ago about Mildenhall - where is Malcolm when you need him? :nono:

Give Mark Baseby a spot against the Birmingham Bulls, and subject to his performance offer him a team spot, Its to much to expect our reserves to cover for Adam long term, whilst whoever we get to replace Royno wont score so heavily, so long as he tries and scores reasonably, then the fans will be behind him. :drink:

Good point :approve:

The decision to bar all foreign riders from the NL may yet backfire - my own view being that one per club would not have made that much difference to development and its fair to suggest that they add to the attraction of meetings.

While I'd agree that there aren't that many young riders eligible, there are a number of 7 point riders (or so)who did not get a team place this season. I doubt if they would replace Roynon but someone like James Birkinshaw (who is definitely available and for whom a mid week track would be suitable) would be a reasonably good substitute.

Simon Walker would love a chance to ride this season.

Couldn't Tyson Burmeister ride in the NL ?

It would be a benefit to him and Dudley to have one of the Wolves 1-7 in the line up