British Speedway Forum

Best Riders Never To Have Appeared In A World Fina

Guest mart W

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I've spelt his name right, Ovinyyd Berg, a very good Norweigian Rider.

His name was spelt Oyvind Berg. He was brought over from Norway by Ian Hoskins in the 60s to ride for the Edinburgh Monarchs eventually to join up with Bernt Persson and Reidar Eide in the Edinburgh side. Boy, did these guys improve from raw talent to world beaters.

B)  Yes,Bo Petersen scored 9pts at Gothenburg in the 1984 final.

Ther is one particular US rider who had a very high profile that no-one has mentioned. :blink:

:) Are we talking about the same Bo Petersen ?

'Fraid so

Martin Ashby was also reserve in 1975 and I was expecting him to get a ride when Ray Wilson (I think) broke the tapes, but the other reserve (a Gordeev brother?) came out instead.

Just a short list!

Simon Wigg, The 2 Booey's, Phil Crump, Jellyman, Jim Airey, Billy Sanders, Dave Jessup, Tommy Knudsen, I would love to have seen any of these starts win! & some 20 others :)

Regards.

B) Its riders who have NOT appeared :D:)

:) Everyone has their own particular favorites,but I dont really think there can be any arguement with Bobby Schwartz.

The fact that he never made it may be down to the system the Americans use to qualify.

:)  Everyone has their own particular favorites,but I dont really think there can be any arguement with Bobby Schwartz.

The fact that he never made it may be  down to the system the Americans  use to qualify.

Possibly. But he did qualify for a few Overseas Finals and didn't get through them. I reckon it was more down to World Championship events being held on big tracks (I think smaller tracks suited him better) and I just think he was one of those riders who performed much better in team rather than individual speedway.

Edited by falcace