British Speedway Forum

Ronnie Genz

Nevs

Oh No! Please don't start another topic about handlebars or we'll get into all sorts of trouble again. :P .. :D

I almost said whats all this handlebar nonsense?? Two years ago as a shy novice I missed it all and never felt quite confident enough to ask and two years later I still wonder what the hell that was all about but still too shy to ask!!!!!!!!!

Soooo Handlebars--whats that all about then???????????? :blink:

Nevsy I DID see the handlebars topic and still dont have a clue what it was all about :blink::lol:

In the early 70's, when Ronnie was riding for Oxford, I used to work in an office on the A40, 400 metres from the Oxford Ring Road (Headington) roundabout.

Several times late on a Thursday afternoon, about 4:30, Ronnie would park outside the building in the lay bye, it could even have been a bus stop.

He would then eat his tea/lunch(?), always had a vacumn flask.

Strange what sticks in your memory.

You need to get out more! :rolleyes::lol::wink:

Now Nevsy. A short lesson in handlebars. A million years ago all riders rode with individual styled handlebars. So designed, to suit there particular riding styles which again was usually all different. Handlebars were not all the same like they are today. Barry Briggs could not ride with Ronnie Moore's or visa-versa. Being that I was drawing speedway bikes then, and if you like had an eye for detail,  I could tell whose machine was whose by simply looking at the handlebars. Rather like that if you saw a Hofner violin bass guitar, it had to belong to Paul McCartney.

As kids with our cycle speedway antics. we would also try to bend the handlebars to the shapes of our hero's.

That is basically it. Here endeth the lesson, Ahmen. :wink:  :o  :)

Well said Dick! :rolleyes:

I think you deserve a drop of Holy Water :approve::lol:

• 12 years later...

Does anyone know if Ronnie Genz is still alive or have any details as to his whereabouts these days?

Does anyone know if Ronnie Genz is still alive or have any details as to his whereabouts these days?

Hi my dad Ronnie is dying, he is 86 and has been ill for several years! He was and still is a legend in my eyes x

• Like 1

Debbie, I can't tell you how sorry I was to read your post. I remember your dad very well and like you say he was a legend in my eyes also. Particularly remember him from the mid sixties with Poole before I left for Canada. I know that many people in forumland feel the same way, if possible please let your dad know how well respected he remains by a whole generation of supporters.Wishing you the best at this tough time.

• Like 1

Debbie, I can't tell you how sorry I was to read your post. I remember your dad very well and like you say he was a legend in my eyes also. Particularly remember him from the mid sixties with Poole before I left for Canada. I know that many people in forumland feel the same way, if possible please let your dad know how well respected he remains by a whole generation of supporters.Wishing you the best at this tough time.

Track legend at Cowley and well respected!