British Speedway Forum

Lee Richardson Quits Team Gb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the bigger picture that worries me. Look at the U21 World Cup last year, at Rye House, we had a poor team, bad organisation, when there was a chance to really put in a good performance. See our set up to the others that day,it was woeful. And before people say the money isn't there etc, I will tell you now that Team USA Voulenteers - not even the AMA, are putting together a massive effort to get their U21 competitive.

It's been 11 (I think) years we've had EL on Sky Sports and I've seen NOTHING in the way of money going into grass roots level speeday. Are you telling me they couldnt have bought 20/30 2nd hand mini bikes from Sweden / Denmark, and then for eg put 4 at Rye House, 4 at Wolves, 4 at Scunthorpe, 4 at Sheffield, 4 at Glasgow etc & brokered a deal with wulfsport for jnr rider clothing/protective gear so that we could have different centres to train and entice youngsters into out sport? Its ridiculous, look at what Billy Hamill's academy is doing on Youtube. BSPA, be ahsmaed.

Just saw the Billy Hamill Academy on YouTube, and must say it's an amazing project. Without recruits, the sport dies out. Cheers for Hamill and his team.

Screm, Im hoping that your post is slightly tongue in cheek, but given that attitude the Elite league will be reduced to 4 teams by July 1st. The bottom 4 will say - We cant win the league so were not riding anymore!

Its pride and patriotism - we (fans, clubs, promoters and BSPA) need to get that back and support through thick and thin.

edited : to make sense!!!

I will support GB in this years SWC,however I think we have to be realistic enough to accept that we have no chance winning the thing out right,Id be happy just to make the final. :blink:

I'm sure Rico won't be the last to walk away from Team GB.

According to Lee, team GB want riders to give up their main advertising slot on their racesuits for team use, costing riders money. He also says he was out of pocket by around £1500 after last years World Cup, with no explanation as to why his expenses claims were not paid.

I'd really like to know who finances TeamGB, is it the FIM, IMG or the BSPA? Who gains the most out of the SWC, FIM, IMG or the BSPA?

I'd really like to know who finances TeamGB, is it the FIM, IMG or the BSPA? Who gains the most out of the SWC, FIM, IMG or the BSPA?

I should imagine the BSPA finances teamGB-the prize money fund is listed somewhere on the FIM website-although there would be a shortfall the BSPA would have to cover.As for the 2nd point-there is only one winner IMG/BSI.

Who gains the most out of the SWC, FIM, IMG or the BSPA?

It's difficult to determine how profitable the SWC is compared to the SGP, but the one thing for certain is that it's not the riders who're profiting the most.

BSI appear to pay the FIM just over GBP 1.4 million per year for the SGP and SWC rights. The FIM are responsible for paying the prize money which presumably comes out of this, but this amounted to just over USD 1 million per year for the SGP and SWC combined, which converts to about GBP 650K at the current exchange rate. Not sure whether the FIM pays some of the expenses of the officials (accommodation has to be covered by the event organisers), but it's probably not unreasonable to say the FIM are profiting to the tune of GBP 700K per year.

BSI themselves recorded a profit of GBP 1.6 million in 2009, and a similar amount the year before. Profitability seemed to have been patchy in the preceding years though, although some of those losses may have been down to high staff costs and other ventures. The profitability also has to be put in the context of the parent company IMG(UK) losing GBP 15 million on other activities. :rolleyes:

With respect to the SWC, the winning team receives USD 25K (GBP 15.4K) with the lowest placed team receiving USD 8.5K (GBP 5.2K) from which all expenses have to be paid. Divide that between the 5 riders and the team manager, and you can see you're not going to get rich unless you can supplement that with sponsorship.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

sorry i meant the advertising places on the race suit which the riders normal sponsors are on. when i sponsored hans my logos were the same on his wtc suit as his normal one and i expect them to be the same on chris h suit this year or i wont be happy.

Do the riders pay for their own suits? If so I can understand them being unhappy

With respect to the SWC, the winning team receives USD 25K (GBP 15.4K) with the lowest placed team receiving USD 8.5K (GBP 5.2K) from which all expenses have to be paid. Divide that between the 5 riders and the team manager, and you can see you're not going to get rich unless you can supplement that with sponsorship.

So perhaps selling the prime spot on the TeamGB racesuits to the highest bidder is pretty important to help cover riders' expenses?

I know people say you should be proud to represent your country whatever BUT surely you shouldn't have to pay to represent your country in a professional sport??

I know people say you should be proud to represent your country whatever BUT surely you shouldn't have to pay to represent your country in a professional sport??

I suppose some might argue that riding in the SGP and SWC is a bit of showcase and helps you secure employment in national leagues. However, I certainly don't think riders should be expected to take all the risks for peanuts whilst others are making money off the back of them.

Rather than squabbling amongst themselves, the BSPA would be better served questioning why so much money is disappearing out of the sport to third parties, and then trying to do something about it.

Rather than squabbling amongst themselves, the BSPA would be better served questioning why so much money is disappearing out of the sport to third parties, and then trying to do something about it.

To third parties who don't have any input into grassroots and training of riders either, crazy situation when speedway at league and grassroots level is struggling.

you wernt far wrong there, rob lyons has quit at well.poxy bspa, are killing the sport.

:wink:

So perhaps selling the prime spot on the TeamGB racesuits to the highest bidder is pretty important to help cover riders' expenses?

problem is any sponsor money would go in there pockets never to be seen again and the riders wouldnt see a penny.

why dont they use a bit of the over priced entry fee each club pays each year to fund the team or a bit of the cash they get from the british gp. sorry forgot they spend that getting drunk at the bar.they want the team to turn up year after year and pay nothing.

on the flip side the riders sponsors get good coverage so they should maybe chip in a bit to maybe but pay it direct to the rider not bspa.

problem is any sponsor money would go in there pockets never to be seen again and the riders wouldnt see a penny.

why dont they use a bit of the over priced entry fee each club pays each year to fund the team or a bit of the cash they get from the british gp. sorry forgot they spend that getting drunk at the bar.they want the team to turn up year after year and pay nothing.

on the flip side the riders sponsors get good coverage so they should maybe chip in a bit to maybe but pay it direct to the rider not bspa.

How do you know?

Trees, I think "Mr. Meridian Lifts" would know a little about speedway sponsorship, wouldn't you?

All the best

Rob

Lol, just a little."The Know" is one of the most passionate people I know when it comes to British Speedway, an ideal candidate to come in and run the whole show IMO.