British Speedway Forum

Riders You Would Pay To Watch

TonyMac

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have paid to see the following and it was well worth every penny,

Peter Craven, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs, Ove Fundin, Bjorn Knutson, Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Michael Lee, Peter Collins, Soren Sjosten, Chris Morton, Chris Pusey, Tommy Knudsson, Denis Sigalos, Scott Autrey, Christer Lofquist, Erik Gundersen, Hans Neilsen, Bruce Penhall, Bobby Schwartz.

and;

Sverre Harrfeldt

Have you been converted at last then, Jim...er...Dick?

Guest cheetahhawk
I have paid to see the following and it was well worth every penny,

Peter Craven, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs, Ove Fundin, Bjorn Knutson, Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Michael Lee, Peter Collins, Soren Sjosten, Chris Morton, Chris Pusey, Tommy Knudsson, Denis Sigalos, Scott Autrey, Christer Lofquist, Erik Gundersen, Hans Neilsen, Bruce Penhall, Bobby Schwartz.

and;

Sverre Harrfeldt

So did I pay to see all the riders you mentioned and well worth every penny.

I would also like to add Garry Middleton,Barry Thomas,Andy Galvin,Finn Thomsen,Dave Morton,Alan Mogridge,Bo Petersen,Zenon Plech,Keith White,the list could go on for ever but I have to get up for work in the morning :)

Have you been converted at last then, Jim...er...Dick?

You can call me Jim, which is my name though I am grateful to other forum members for my alisas especially JJ though he deserts me now (you normally do in your emails Norman :o) No not really, but I have not the heart to upset CHK anymore. :(

Mellowing Jim B) (In yer old age)

PS JJs still about !

I would add Andy Galvin as well,he was worth watching at Shawfield cause everybody hated him!! Others who fall into that category were Mick "dodgy teabag" Poole,Jamie "God" Luckhurst and Martin Goodwin. Tigers worth watching were Merv Janke,the McKinnas at Blantyre 1 and Shane Bowes.

Considering the fact that I now travel fair distances to watch mediocre riders my list would be endless. However I'll throw one or two names into the hat;

Bruce Penhall, Erik Gundersen, Alan Grahame, Ole Olsen, kenny Carter, Michael Lee, Peter Collins, Phil Collins, Chris Morton, The Morans, etc, etc,

I have to say I love speedway so much that I'd travel many miles and put my hands deep into my pockets to watch any half decent speedway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest swillworld

I heard a few people mention John Cook, I am assuming that is John cook from California.... the cowboy... I just started racing when he was getting ready to go to europe, he was magical with that bike and how he would be all over the back getting any possible traction he could.. Didn't he get a top 5 in the world champs once? He was the master at the Baylands Raceway in Fremont California.. so how did Bart Bast do over there?

Bart Bast's career over here turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. He was signed by Swindon, but was released before the end of his first season. I think he was only averaging around 3 points a meeting at the time, although he was very popular with the supporters and I remember there being a campaign by some fans to keep him on.

I noticed recently that he's still riding in the States, though, and doing well, which is good to see. I also noticed that his father rides too!

Guest swillworld

Yes Harlan Bast Sr. still rides second division. He has encouraged me to get my weslake back together. Bart has been a very strong competitor in california for many years. I was reading that schwartz and Kelly Moran and Shawn O'connel had raced in New York in November. Those guys and Mike Faria are as old as I am..lol

As well as the above names, I'm lucky to have also Cheered on......

Nigel & Eric Booey, Jim Airey, Greg Kentwell All RED!, Phil Crump & Jr, Niel Street! ;o) Bert Kingston, Dennis Gavros, John Bulger, Billy the kid! Ove, Briggo, Gordon Guasco, "Bill Landels The Big Yin"!!, Arthur Browning! John Langfield, Roy Trigg. Best I stop! wish I could name the 1,000's, I have and would pay to see! Why can't we have a track that has speedway 24/24? or even 7/11. :o)))

Regards.

I remember it well. Sliding a trial bike over rough terrain to deliver said chocolates. Didn't look much like Arthur once he took the helmet off though.