British Speedway Forum

NL Treated with Contempt

I fear that this is almost demonstrating the BSPA's opinion of the National/Conference League, The worry is however, with noises coming from a few tracks questioning next years participation along with the uncertainty of Weymouth, when do the excuses that the NL is no longer viable start to appear, therefore leaving a few standalone clubs in limbo. Or will it be the 'we are dissapointed that the National League has not had the support from the clubs that it deserves and sorry to see it go' oscar worthy performances?

If the national league goes,?? it will be through lack of support through the turnstyles.people go on about bringing on british youngsters but how many support them in this league.? Not enough for sure.. And the BSPA seem not to be bothered about it..The National league is at the crossroads and could be the thin end of the wedge for British speedway... :(

Edited by waco

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And do you honestly think after all this that anybody's going to be bothered to make any kind of effort to turn up for a restaging..?! :angry:

I still think we need an explanation which actually makes sense... Why exactly is it that this meeting (Fours & NLRC) can't go ahead as planned on SATURDAY..? The YS match on the SUNDAY is no explanation in my book.. :blink:

All this is beginning to look like fixture changes by 'kneejerk.' If I remember correctly, when the NL events were scheduled originally over two days at the beginning of the month, Rye House offered an inclusive weekend ticket priced at £20. Even if Len has to charge a couple of pounds more now, surely this is doable.

What a shambles, the BSPA are a total disgrace :angry: . Its bad enough that this has been cancelled late with people coming from far away, going to a lot expense at the process. Why do it, Rye House are using Sunday so whats the problem with Saturday. Come on BSPA we want ANSWERS!!! :mad:

As someone said the kids in this league are our future and this is kick in the teeth from the BSPA MC. They are treating us like fools and wonder why people stay away at times.

Shocking :mad:

Edited by Brummie Kev

"what a shambles" "what a disgrace" What a flippin load of old tosh! Rye house Rockets, and to a lesser extent, Cobras, are len silvers BUSINESS at Rye House, the fact is, the nl matches were booked in it would appear, when there was a blank in uncle lennies fixture list.Due to some diabolical summer weather and an extended run in the young shield, where the rockets running is a must for the competition to be completed, that gap in the fixture list has been removed, possibly just put back.Can anyone honestly expect the track at hoddesdon to stand up to 2 days of racing, without running the risk of people moaning that the nl competitions had to make do with a second rate track cos its only the nl.

Another point, how succesful, especially in current financial climes would it be to expect people to put their hands in pockets 2 days in a row to watch speedway, cos lets face it i guess a decent proportion of the crowd would be rye fans anyway.

"what a bunch of moaners"

Another point, how succesful, especially in current financial climes would it be to expect people to put their hands in pockets 2 days in a row to watch speedway, cos lets face it i guess a decent proportion of the crowd would be rye fans anyway.

This comment often comes up. You can't expect people to pay out two days in a row. This is fine on the face of it. However, now let's go back to the 2nd/3rd October. Fans were expected to pay out for two days in a row then. Suppose those meetings were not rained off. Its a bit like saying; "We're not going to the Rye v Newport match because we already paid out to go to the NL fours and championship a fortnight ago.

This comment often comes up. You can't expect people to pay out two days in a row. This is fine on the face of it. However, now let's go back to the 2nd/3rd October. Fans were expected to pay out for two days in a row then. Suppose those meetings were not rained off. Its a bit like saying; "We're not going to the Rye v Newport match because we already paid out to go to the NL fours and championship a fortnight ago.

I agree if you couldnt afford to go to both then it makes no difference when they are staged if your forced to choose you'd choose what you want to go to delaying it makes no difference imo.

So has it been confirmed that it was 'postponed' because the track couldn't cope with meetings on 2 consecutive days?

Seems odd that it couldn't cope, what with the dry weather forecast?

It was always 50/50 that they'd have a semi final to fit in. If they lose that i bet they will bring the Ace of Herts

forward to the 24th and finish the season early, which would be an extra kick in the teeth if these important meetings never take place!

Edited by davidba

So has it been confirmed that it was 'postponed' because the track couldn't cope with meetings on 2 consecutive days?

Seems odd that it couldn't cope, what with the dry weather forecast?

David

It would be odd if this was the reason as they were planning on meetings on consecutive days on 2/3 October. They have also run meetings on consecutive days a number of times previously. Very disappointing all the same.

Regards

Eddie

Edited by WembleyLion

At the end of the day (well, the end of this, the sorriest day in the history of the third tier...) we need an answer. I was persuaded early on this morning, in that unique way some Speedway people 'in the know' have of subtle threats of "you'll get in trouble"..., that it wasn't the staging club Rye House at fault for this but the BSPA. RH's own club press statement more or less says as much too...

Yet, as many have said, the meeting that the BSPA allegedly insisted must go ahead this weekend (the YS semi home leg) is to happen on SUNDAY.

RH had committed themselves to staging the NLRC (which they've done successfully for a number of years now...) and the 4s Final; and once this was lost once to bad weather they'd set aside this SATURDAY afternoon (not a slot used before by the club...) for this 'double-header'

No-one as far as I can see, can think of any sensible or justifible reason why just because they must entertain Newport on the Sunday, that this original plan of the Saturday afternoon meeting can't go ahead.

Until the club themselves actually tell us WHY they've felt the need to cancel the NL events on Saturday, I really can't see how there can be any closure to this matter...

At the end of the day (well, the end of this, the sorriest day in the history of the third tier...) we need an answer. I was persuaded early on this morning, in that unique way some Speedway people 'in the know' have of subtle threats of "you'll get in trouble"..., that it wasn't the staging club Rye House at fault for this but the BSPA. RH's own club press statement more or less says as much too...

Yet, as many have said, the meeting that the BSPA allegedly insisted must go ahead this weekend (the YS semi home leg) is to happen on SUNDAY.

RH had committed themselves to staging the NLRC (which they've done successfully for a number of years now...) and the 4s Final; and once this was lost once to bad weather they'd set aside this SATURDAY afternoon (not a slot used before by the club...) for this 'double-header'

No-one as far as I can see, can think of any sensible or justifible reason why just because they must entertain Newport on the Sunday, that this original plan of the Saturday afternoon meeting can't go ahead.

Until the club themselves actually tell us WHY they've felt the need to cancel the NL events on Saturday, I really can't see how there can be any closure to this matter...

Couple of things

Rye House have used saturday Afternoon before ...Saturday June 12th against Newcastle so you are wrong there.

As far as running on Saturday before the Newport meeting on the sunday. 28 heats would have been ridden leaving the track with a hell of a lot of work needing to be done. A limited amount could have been done saturday evening but with sundays start time an enforced one at 1PM there would have been no time to carry out track prep on sunday morning. Rye House is now just across the river to a residential area from whom I am sure there would have been complaints had there been a couple of tractors circling the track at 7 AM on a sunday morning.

It's far to easy to target Rye House for the shortcomings of how a league and it's events are run.

Edited by westhamboy66

"what a shambles" "what a disgrace" What a flippin load of old tosh! Rye house Rockets, and to a lesser extent, Cobras, are len silvers BUSINESS at Rye House, the fact is, the nl matches were booked in it would appear, when there was a blank in uncle lennies fixture list.Due to some diabolical summer weather and an extended run in the young shield, where the rockets running is a must for the competition to be completed, that gap in the fixture list has been removed, possibly just put back.Can anyone honestly expect the track at hoddesdon to stand up to 2 days of racing, without running the risk of people moaning that the nl competitions had to make do with a second rate track cos its only the nl.

Intersting perspective so lets just stick with your 'its a business' approach

in business, you have a responsibility to operate within your limitations.

if lets say a business takes a booking to hold a conference in their meeting rooms but then have an outbreak of flu stopping them holding there own meeting the week before. then they decide that they will hold it the day after the booking was taken for but dont want the cleaners to have to come in 2 days running so cancel, at short notice the booking they took. Is that good business? hell no its a quick way to end up having to pay out wads of compensation and lose all credibility u have in the industry.

As a 'business', Rye House/BSPA should have known better. Thats not business, its taking the preverbial

What puzzles me is that Rye House was chosen to hold the NL Fours/NLRC in the first place.

As Rye run both PL and NL they already have a crowded programme, and it was odds-on that at the business end of the season they would have the PL play-offs or Young shield to fit in.

So why try to cram in these extra events?

Looking at the days that NL teams race, I reckon we have:-

Saturday - Rye House

Sunday - Buxton, Newport, King's Lynn

Monday - no one

Tuesday - IOW, Dudley@Wolves

Wednesday - Bournemouth, Dudley@Brum

Thursday - no one

Friday - Plymouth, Scunthorpe, Weymouth

So more than often there is no NL activity on a Monday or Thursday.

Now, as I've already said most PL teams are involved in play-offs or Young Shield, but if we look to the EL we have a number of teams not in the play-offs and out of the KO Cup who are left kicking their heels with no fixtures at all.

Swindon seem to have held some league matches back beyond the deadline, so they have something to pad the season out, but the teams most devoid of fixtures are Belle Vue and Ipswich.

these teams race on a Monday and a Thursday...the days of no NL activity...so they could have easily staged the NLRC and NL pairs. (and probably still could).

Maybe EL stadium rentals are higher, and they are not clubs who have an NL team, and so the crowd may be down. But surely out of all the Sky money, the BSPA could pay a couple of grand to rent one of these tracks and subsidise the paying admission down to a fiver?

They would then get the meetings on, have no fixture congestion, and may convert some EL fans into NL supporters?

Or is this too sensible?

What puzzles me is that Rye House was chosen to hold the NL Fours/NLRC in the first place.

As Rye run both PL and NL they already have a crowded programme, and it was odds-on that at the business end of the season they would have the PL play-offs or Young shield to fit in.

Saturday - Rye House

Monday - no one

Thursday - no one

Now, as I've already said most PL teams are involved in play-offs or Young Shield, but if we look to the EL we have a number of teams not in the play-offs and out of the KO Cup who are left kicking their heels with no fixtures at all.

Swindon seem to have held some league matches back beyond the deadline, so they have something to pad the season out, but the teams most devoid of fixtures are Belle Vue and Ipswich.

these teams race on a Monday and a Thursday...the days of no NL activity...so they could have easily staged the NLRC and NL pairs. (and probably still could).

Maybe EL stadium rentals are higher, and they are not clubs who have an NL team, and so the crowd may be down. But surely out of all the Sky money, the BSPA could pay a couple of grand to rent one of these tracks and subsidise the paying admission down to a fiver?

They would then get the meetings on, have no fixture congestion, and may convert some EL fans into NL supporters?

Or is this too sensible?

Of course it is!

It's far to easy to target Rye House for the shortcomings of how a league and it's events are run.

Complete rubbish.

Rye House made the commitment to run the NLRC in the full knowledge that there could be a fixture pile up and, at least according to their website, they haven't had a rain off since that made that commitment.

If there was a danger that they could not fit the meeting in (and, even without the benefit of hindsight, there clearly was) why agree to hold it ?

I fail to appreciate how the blame for the cancellation of this meeting can be laid at the door of the NL. It maybe that the BSPA directed it, but I have no doubt that that is when the problem was raised by Rye House so its their fault and theirs alone.

Ok now I am totally pissed off.

I went to a load of trouble to re-organise things so I could attend this Saturday and it is just not acceptable.

I agree with most of what has been said on here and I am seriously thinking about knocking this sport on the head. It is the most amateurish professional sport in the world.

Just as a thought why couldn't the YS semi against Newport be staged on the Saturday if the other meeting has been postponed?

Edited by BossMan

Saturday - Rye House

Monday - no one

Thursday - no one

Or is this too sensible?

Its sensible, John, but its impractical.

For a start, there's no way the BSPA would subsidise a meeting.

Secondly, the gate wouldn't be down at Belle Vue (or maybe even Ipswich), it would be practically non existent. You only have to read some of the posts on here to see the contempt that some EL fans have for the PL, never mind the NL, so they just wouldn't go. Allied to the fact that only Buxton is within 100 miles of Belle Vue supporters just aren't going to travel that far.

It would have to be a weekend and to my mind the best neutral place would be Swindon. Otherwise, I'd use Dudley. Superb track (people I know will not go to Rye House for that reason alone) superb stadium, big crowd, reachable by everyone.

Strange that it would have been able to cope with consecutive meetings on 2nd and 3rd October then!

Its sensible, John, but its impractical.

For a start, there's no way the BSPA would subsidise a meeting.

I'm talking maybe £2k or £3k out of the Sky £5M. that's not impractical...it's petty cash.

Secondly, the gate wouldn't be down at Belle Vue (or maybe even Ipswich), it would be practically non existent.

Just realised Belle Vue held a successful NL meeting against the Americans on Monday, and Ipswich are doing the same tonight. So your argument doesn't hold water there either.