British Speedway Forum

The greatest rider never to be world champion. He's nearly 40, had plenty of tries, so why hasn't he been champion ?

Maybe because he's temprementally flawed and throws it away when the chips are really down. To be a champion you cant have any serious flaws no matter how good your perceived to be.

maybe he will win this year but his lead is being eroded with just 3 to go.

I want the best rider to win, dont care where he was born

Hmm, well I don't care where Gollob was born either but I still want him to be champion...

And BTW, your comment was , er, rather illogical... The whole point of terming someone the greatest rider NEVER to be World Champion is, er, because they've NEVER been World Champion. Ergo, to date they, er, haven't won it...! :blink::wink:

What Gollob has done, though is to have been on the rostrum in the world championship far more times than anyone else who's not actually secured top spot, so over many years he has run close.. Yes, you can argue if you want, that coming up short before says something but injuries and misfortune have played at least an equal part.

And with all due respect, when one sees that once Mark Loram was GP champion and think how much better Gollob is and always has been than Mark, I think for justice to prevail it is indeed time for that Polish champion, eh!!! :neutral:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest rider never to be world champion. He's nearly 40, had plenty of tries, so why hasn't he been champion ?

Maybe because he's temprementally flawed and throws it away when the chips are really down. To be a champion you cant have any serious flaws no matter how good your perceived to be.

maybe he will win this year but his lead is being eroded with just 3 to go.

I want the best rider to win, dont care where he was born

What a load of rubbish!

Peter Collins had a serious flaw in the fact that he could'nt gate, but he still became a world champion. Egon Muller had a flaw in the fact that he did'nt ride enough speedway each year to become world champion but lo and behold he becomes world champion. Michael Lee was told he was to tall to be a good speedway rider and that he did not have the temprement to win the big prize, but lo and behold he became world champion. And the best of the lot, i remember Peter Craven being told at Liverpool that he was to small to be any good at speedway, but lo and behold he becomes world champion!!!

What a load of rubbish!

Peter Collins had a serious flaw in the fact that he could'nt gate, but he still became a world champion. Egon Muller had a flaw in the fact that he did'nt ride enough speedway each year to become world champion but lo and behold he becomes world champion. Michael Lee was told he was to tall to be a good speedway rider and that he did not have the temprement to win the big prize, but lo and behold he became world champion. And the best of the lot, i remember Peter Craven being told at Liverpool that he was to small to be any good at speedway, but lo and behold he becomes world champion!!!

lets see if Gollob wins this season, or cracks like before, he will never have a better chance with Bydgozcz the last gp.

What a load of rubbish!

Rather a cobbled together argument. PC wasn't the greatest from the tapes, but let's not re-write history..he could certainly hop out at times. Muller's victory was down to a German stitch up. Who told Mike Lee that? When? Where? The Peter Craven stuff is fascinating and probably holds an element of truth. Is this a conversation you actually heard though?

As for Gollob..at one time I would have loved him to win it, now I'm not too sure. Yes, I agree he is the most talented rider not to have won it. But the fact that there are three GPs in Poland this year and his rather dubious tactics on at least three occasions have left me feeling a little hollow over the prospect of a Gollob title. I never thought I'd be rooting for Crump, but there's something about his battling approach against the odds this year that has me really warming to his challenge.

Edited by falcace

The difference between Hancock and Harris? Simple.

1 Hancock - more often than not can gate. He has mastered it.

2 Harris - more often than not - can't. But he's gradually getting there and that was the difference.

That's one of the few little snippets of info he's let slip. The rest is just simple basic posi-speak tripe :rolleyes:

I like him and want to see him do well but what's the point of interviewing him after every win.

It even looked as though some riders - Gollub and Crump particularly - just wanted to get away from this trivial nonsense.

Egon Muller had a flaw in the fact that he did'nt ride enough speedway each year to become world champion but lo and behold he becomes world champion.

I wouldn't really classify that as being a "flaw".

Nor would I describe, as a later contributor has, his 1983 victory down to a German "stitch-up" anymore than Penhall's 1982 victory was an American "stitch-up". Muller was a fabulously gifted rider, who invariably had excellent machinery and as far as I can tell was respected by the greatest riders of the age (Mauger, for example). For one season he concentrated solely on preparing for the world final at Norden, got himself a superfast machine (the first GM-powered world champion) and took advantage of the final being on a track in his native land.

Which brings us neatly, to why Gollob, for all his natural ability, hasn't yet become world champion. Times have changed. Perhaps on a single day, on a track in his homeland, Gollob would have claimed a world title by now, just as Szczakiel did in 1973. We'll never know, of course.

This season should see one of two riders finally lay a demon to rest. Gollob will be world champion, or Crump will finally defend a world championship. Why hasn't Crump managed that before?

Cheap shot from and armchair critic?

Well yeah, doesn't everyone get annoyed when important things go wrong, particularly in sport? Of course the TV people must love winding them up more than they already are, anyone could tell by Holder's body language in particular that he was ermmmmmm "annoyed" lol

Time to leave well alone if they didn't want the viewers to hear expletives I'd have thought??!!

Nor would I describe, as a later contributor has, his 1983 victory down to a German "stitch-up" anymore than Penhall's 1982 victory was an American "stitch-up". Muller was a fabulously gifted rider, who invariably had excellent machinery and as far as I can tell was respected by the greatest riders of the age (Mauger, for example). For one season he concentrated solely on preparing for the world final at Norden, got himself a superfast machine (the first GM-powered world champion) and took advantage of the final being on a track in his native land.

Which brings us neatly, to why Gollob, for all his natural ability, hasn't yet become world champion. Times have changed. Perhaps on a single day, on a track in his homeland, Gollob would have claimed a world title by now, just as Szczakiel did in 1973. We'll never know, of course.

This season should see one of two riders finally lay a demon to rest. Gollob will be world champion, or Crump will finally defend a world championship. Why hasn't Crump managed that before?

As a three-time World Champion already, I doubt if Crump considers that much of a "demon". Theoretically a rider could end up winning the World Championship seven times without once successfully defending it.

On the other hand, Gollob will struggle to win it once, if he continues to let the pressure get to him, as he has in the last two GPs. He had a much bigger lead in 1999 with three rounds to go (including one to come at Bydgoszcz) and then managed to let that one slip. I can see history repeating itself.

All the best

Rob

Cheap shot from and armchair critic?

A very very accurate shot if you ask me ... but great TV :D

Come on Crumpy I say ... we all know that had you not been carrying an injury early on that the Poles would not be anywhere near you .. as for Gollob he lost many peoples respect when he could have killed Emil with that "stupid" move that finished the kids season off .. so stuff him :)

Not exactly sure why Penhalls win was a stitch-up unless you are referring to the overblown Kenny Carter incident. Mullers win was as stitch-up in that the track was specially prepared to suit his long-track style and he was allowed a lot more practice on it, than the other riders, behind closed doors. Whether that counts as a stitch-up depends on your view point but it was certainly a stage-managed event that was the beginning of the end for the one-off world final.

I don't like Gollob much but if he wins it will be a genuine win, by a genuine world champion which is more than can be said for Szczakiels win.