British Speedway Forum

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now then have been trying to get my plans sorted to make arrangements to see this round. Would be grateful for any info that might help thanks

Best 2 options are to fly to Graz in Austria(ryanair) or Zagreb(wizzair)or even Budapest and even ljubljana. We flew to Graz for the u21 final last year,hired a car lesiurely 2-3 hours drive,stayed in hungary,only about 20 miles from Gorican.Great trip would recommend.

Mileages are

Graz to Gorican 102 miles

Zagreb to Gorican 70 miles

Budapest to Gorican 151 miles

Ljubljana to Gorican 155 miles

Edited by racers and royals

We have a flight booked from Luton to Zagreb on the 27th departing at 7.55am returning on 30th at about 11.30 am, price for two is just over £200. Never been to Croatia before so can't offer any other help.

Zagreb is a lovely relaxed City, friendly people, nice food, great weather in summer, you will have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Having been asked by friends to look into a trip to the Croatian GP, I thought folk might like to know that I am organising a coach transfer to the GP from 3 airports in the vicinity.

I am hopeful that the coach would cost no more than £50 per person based on costs from previous trips I have organised and based on the coach being 75% full.

Not only that but if people require a hotel then please feel free to contact me as I am currently negoitating a deal with a hotel near to Zagreb.

Details as follows.

Thursday 26th August

Coach pick up from Trieste airport in Italy at 1700 hrs.

Coach pick up from Ljubliana airport in Slovenia at 1900 hrs

Arrival at Hotel at 2000 hrs

Friday 27th August

Coach pick up at Zagreb airport at 1130 hrs

Arrival at Hotel at 1200 hrs

Saturday 28th August

Depart for GP at Gorican at 1500 hrs

Return to Hotel after SGP.

Sunday 29th August

Coach drop off at Zagreb airport at 0945 hrs

Coach drop off at Ljubliana airport at 1500 hrs

Coach drop off at Trieste airport at 1630 hrs

Please contact me in the first instance via email, info@cleancutsports.com, or by PM on here, should you wish to register your interest, and ahead of booking your flights.

Please dont book any flights ahead of checking as I will need to confirm availability of a seat on the 50 seater coach.

Flight Options are as follows.

Trieste from Birmingham with Ryan Air

Ljubliana from Stansted with Easy Jet

Zagreb from Luton with Wizzair

Edited by ballinger

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update on our tour to the Croatian SGP, especially as Ryan Air flights are currently set to 'no taxes' status from Stansted to Trieste !!

Target price for B&B hotel, all coach transers, SGP tickets, and flights was £400, but due to Ryan Airs current prices it will be significantly less.

A reminder of our schedule

Thursday 26th August

Flight from Stansted to Trieste arriving at 1435.

2nd Flight arrving from Birmingham at 1630.

Coach pick up from Trieste airport in Italy at 1700 hrs.

Arrival at Ljubliana Hotel at 2000 hrs

Friday 27th August

Day of leisure

Saturday 28th August

Depart for GP at Gorican at 1500 hrs

Return to Hotel after SGP.

Sunday 29th August

Depart Ljubliana for return to Trieste at 1030 hrs.

Coach drop off at Trieste airport for Stansted flights at 1230 hrs

Afternoon of leisure in Trieste.

Coach drop off at Trieste airport for Birmingham flights at 1600 hrs

Please contact me in the first instance via email, info@cleancutsports.com, or by PM on here, should you wish to register your interest, and ahead of booking your flights. Please dont book any flights ahead of checking as I will need to confirm availability of a seat on the 50 seater coach.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the SGP Challenge Final safely out of the way we can now concentrate on the final four GPs of a very enjoyable season, starting with the Croatian GP in Gorican this coming Saturday. The world championship is still "up for grabs", as are ever-important places in the top eight.

The last GP in Malilla saw Tomasz Gollob take the lead in the race for the title from his fellow countryman Jaroslaw Hampel. Gollob also increased his lead over Jason Crump, lying third in the title race, even though Crump was second in Malilla and Gollob third. The world title race now seems to be a straight contest between those three, with Gollob holding the "whip hand". Gorican provides Gollob with an opportunity to really stamp his authority on the world championship, while at the same time provides Hampel and Crump with an opportunity to ramp up the pressure on Gollob. All three will be looking for good shows at the first ever Croatian GP.

If it's unusually tight at the top, it's predictably tight in the race for a place in the top eight. Andreas Jonsson currently sits in eighth place on 55 points, a single point ahead of Fredrik Lindgren, with Greg Hancock a point behind him and Chris Harris a couple of points adrift of Hancock. Of those four, Fredrik Lindgren is sure of a place in 2011, having qualified from Vojens, but it's "squeaky bottom" time for the other three.

Andreas Jonsson started the season in reasonable style, but after a couple of high-scoring GPs where he failed in the semi-finals amid tough and uncompromising riding from Gollob and Crump, his season has been in freefall. Only the travails of Nicki Pedersen at Malilla see Jonsson in the top eight. He desperately needs a good performance in Gorican to steady the ship, but you have to question whether he has what it takes to do so. He's never really seemed to perform well in the crisis situation and generally falls well short.

Lindgren can rest easy. The pressure is off. Will that see him start to really perform in the GPs? We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. He has every chance of making the top eight if he maintains his concentration, but Hancock did well in Malilla and if he can keep that up, he's in with a great shout of overtaking the two Swedes and confirming his 2011 place (Hancock is also very good at Bydgoszcz, host track for the final GP).

As for Chris Harris, I just can't see it. Can you? Nice guy, perhaps, but always likely to throw up a dismal ride or two, leaving his with poor gate picks on the rare occasions he manages to make the semi-finals. The pure and simple truth of the matter is that he's not up to the challenge.

As for the rest, well there's not much Kenneth Bjerre and Chris Holder to race for. They look perfectly secure for 2011. Rune Holta could yet pressure the top three for a podium place, while Hans Andersen needs to keep scoring well or he could be dragged into the top eight dogfight. Nicki Pedersen doesn't look good for the top eight, but could do with a return to form and will be desperate to salvage something from an awful season. Magnus Zetterstrom, who hasn't been disgraced in the GPs, will be looking to bow out with his dignity in tact.

Davey Watt should be looking forward to having another GP spin, while Tai Woffinden should perhaps be reflecting on a silly decision to accept a nomination.

Not much for the "wild card" Jurica Pavlic to race for. The way things are looking for next season, he has no chance of impressing enough to gain a nomination, although a win might make things even more complicated than they already are for BSI when it comes to nominations.

Hopefully a good GP awaits.

Have any of the GP field (with the exception of Pavlic) ever been to Gorican before?

The World Under-21 final was there last season, so Woffinden definitely has. The stadium has also held other FIM events, such as GP qualifiers, so perhaps the likes of Lindgren have been there. I'm not so sure about the top riders.

The World Under-21 final was there last season, so Woffinden definitely has. The stadium has also held other FIM events, such as GP qualifiers, so perhaps the likes of Lindgren have been there. I'm not so sure about the top riders.

Ahh I forgot about woffinden being there, just trying to get a wee edge on the bookies. Not sure Woffinden will be it though.

Have any of the GP field (with the exception of Pavlic) ever been to Gorican before?

Over the past few years Gorican has been used for a round of the GP Qualifiers.

As well as the already named Harris and Holder, Kenneth Bjerre raced in a round in 2008.

Gorican also gets used quite often for training, I think.

For example, the Gorzow club went there for a training camp before the Polish season started this year. Tomek was definitely in attendence, and I guess Nicki probably was too.