British Speedway Forum

Sgp Challenge Final

Nearly time for one of the more eagerly anticipated meetings of the season when we find out three of the qualifiers for the 2011 SGP series. Last season's qualifiers from Coventry were Magnus Zetterstrom, Chris Holder and Jaroslaw Hampel, two of whom currently find themselves in the top eight, while the third (Zetterstrom) has had his moments.

The contenders this season, as far as I can tell are as follows:

Tomasz Gapinski (POL)

Grigory Waguta (RUS)

Andrey Karpov (UKR)

Janusz Kolodziej (POL)

Artem Waguta (RUS)

Roman Povazhny (RUS)

Chris Harris (GBR)

Fredrik Lindgren (SWE)

Leon Madsen (DEN)

Niels-Kristian Iversen (DEN)

Simon Stead (GBR)

Antonio Lindback (SWE)

Thomas H Jonasson (SWE)

Magnus Zetterstrom (SWE)

Grzegorz Walasek (POL)

Sebastian Ulamek (POL)

Fingers will be no doubt crossed in the offices of BSI hoping that the result gives them more scope when it comes to the nomination process later in the season. A Polish qualifier would be a spanner in the works, while a couple of Poles would be a bit of a disaster for BSI, since the three Poles already in the series are more or less assured of places in the top eight. Ideally for BSI the top three in Vojens will be free of Poles. However, all of the Poles will go into the meeting in the knowledge that they have to qualify if they want a place in the GPs. That's a powerful motivation.

In an ideal world for BSI a Briton, a Dane and a Swede will emerge from Vojens, but how likely is that? Iversen qualified the last time the final was staged at Vojens and the recent SWC showed he still knows how to get around Ole Olsen's track to good effect. Chris Harris also showed to good effect in the SWC final, although Simon Stead was rather abject and the same can be said about Sweden's (and Wolverhampton's) big hope Fredrik Lindgren. Antonio Lindback, on the other hand, showed some good promise in Vojens, but he's likely to find himself on the wrong end of a tapes exclusion at some stage or another. Jonasson was good value in the GP at Malilla and is likely to put himself about a bit. I don't tend to think Jonasson is as good as some people, but after last night it's possible he could be the surprise qualifier. That could also present a problem for BSI, especially if Lindgren and Andreas Jonsson find themselves outside of the top eight after Bydgoszcz.

I wouldn't totally discount one of the Wagutas getting amongst the qualifiers.

It should be a fascinating meeting.

WadyWuck,

My prediction is:

1. Niels-Kristian Iversen

2. Chris Harris

3. Seb Ulamek

All the best

Rob

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that Leon Madsen is going to cause a suprise. I spoke to him last night at Wimborne Road and he is very possitive about his chances.He was impressive last night and fast out of the gate. And being on home turf might suprise everyone, though it would be a shock for him to be one of the three qualifiers.

I'm not sure if Greg Hancock may be 'past his worth' regarding inclusion in the GP. I mean it's not as if there is a large following for the sport in America. Neither will his sole availability be enough to interest the american public in making a GP in his land a worthwhile prospect.

Greg is very much still good enough to be at the party .... as he proved at the weekend

I see your point with his nationality not being as important for IMG as Pole/Swede/Brit/Dane ..... but then again they do very much need scattered representation from elsewhere to make it at the very least resemble a bona fide world contest

If we are talking who brings what sponsorship to the table.... which is what permanent wildcards have sometimes come down to... then I should imagine Greg's drink product placement attempts stand him in good stead.... but who knows what the figures are

It was a bit worrying how stale things were a year or two ago but I still think it should come down to the best 15 in the world as much as they can and to stagger the youngsters coming in as much as they can

I'd like a Freddie, Bomber and Kolodziej 123 but results over time have thankfully thrown up some shocks .... so maybe we will get another 'zorro' result

Edited by spook

I've a horrible feeling Madsen might get in the top 3, which would leave a nasty taste in the mouth after his silencer issues earlier in the qualifying.

Ulamek can gate as good as anybody and might also do well. Harris rode well in the WTC Final but I doubt if the track will be the same this weekend.

Would love to see one of the Russians get through.

Not sure if he's eligible to ride but would love if THJ qualified and Kolodziej and Artem Laguta to go through, GP's need some more fresh blood.

See what Holder has added this year the guys above I think could add to the entertainment.

No great shock, but they are currently predicting rain for Saturday evening in Vojens...I wonder if they just check the speedway schedules to determine the forecast for that area wink.gif

Must be moving across from Swindon...

WadyWuck,

My prediction is:

1. Niels-Kristian Iversen

2. Chris Harris

3. Seb Ulamek

All the best

Rob

God I hope not...

I hope that Kolodziej will qualify (2nd league in Ekstraliga this year, just behind Gollob) cause he deserves it and is awesome this year...

...while I also hope that Walasek, Ulamek and Gapinski will not qualify (all 3 simply too weak to ride in SGP).

Unless i missed it this weeks Speedway Star hasn`t even previwed the meeting-just some mentions in other articles-not even the line-up.Pretty terrible in my opinion.

In an otherwise typically excellent edition, i too thought it was a major omission.

Is this meeting televised my Sky Sports and i also hope they will ride on old silencers to me sound is important side of this sport and new silencers just sound wrong ,FIM should just realize if it aint broke dont fix it.

No not on sky but on polish/Danish tv so should be on net.I am sure they will be on new silencers in this meeting

I have a feeling that Leon Madsen is going to cause a suprise. I spoke to him last night at Wimborne Road and he is very possitive about his chances.He was impressive last night and fast out of the gate. And being on home turf might suprise everyone, though it would be a shock for him to be one of the three qualifiers.

Would be totally found out at GP level. I hope for his sake he doesn't qualify, it'll ruin his confidence.

I'm providing a race card on the basis that the event is on the internet.

It's only a short thread and if you had read a page or so earlier you will see that someone mentioned it's live on polish tv. That fact usually guarantees an internet stream being available on Sopcast etc. The DK4 coverage in Denmark used to mean a live stream, alas rarely now. There is also swedish tv coverage which may mean somebody will provide a feed.

I suggest your best bet is to look on the day for internet availability. There is at least one planned from the quick search i just did. Although, that's a decrease on the other day. The meeting is scheduled to start at 6pm BST (7pm local time & 5pm UTC/GMT).

At the moment there are two possible streams listed on http://soccer-live.pl/transmisje.php?id=motorsport but tommorrow around 5.45pm best time to look-that will be Polish language coverage and someone might be able to put up danish coverage(dk4)stream around start time-6pm uk time.

It's worth pointing out that whilst some streams will include the surrounding tv studio coverage and actually air before the meeting starts, don't despair if it's approaching the hour mark and nothing is showing. Depending on the feed some wait until just before the first race begins and several wait until the parade is over.

Not sure, i haven't got time to check, but i have a slight inkling that in the FIM supplementary regulations it mentioned ten past the hour to actually start racing. Don't hold me to that though at all lol. I've not got the greatest memory. Anyway, as i mentioned yesterday, certainly start checking out your usual list of stream sources before 6pm BST (7pm local time & 5pm UTC/GMT) and don't necessarily panic if unsuccessful at first. I may be out at the time of the meeting, trying to get back in time to watch it, but i'm sure many of the regular posters on here will be supplying links to streams live.

Never thought Id see the day that Simon Stead was just 5 rides away from the GPs. :lol:

I was stood with two millionaires last month in the depths of a bank, so near and yet so far from millions of pounds. I fear that may be a similar scenario for Simon Stead and his 2011 GP series hopes tomorrow night.

I sincerely hope not though, wish him all the best as well as Chris Harris.

The official line-up seems to have survived injury withdrawals so

Score-As-You_View Race Card for 2011 SGP Challenge

As usual with the 'Score-As-You-View' Race Cards i produce it is colour coded and also contains relevant additional info. If you so wish you can fill in each riders accumalative score next to their name for each race (as well as traditional score grid). In order to make this quick and easy i've colour coded their next programmed ride. There are also various other bits of info.

I'll probably give a reminder tomorrow after practice for those looking at this thread for the first time.