British Speedway Forum

American Touring Team 2010 October Tour!

Thanks for clarifying the ages, Steve. I had wondered if some of the guys would be eligible for free bus passes whilst over here! A little early in Boogaloo's career to tkae part in this tour? Seriously, you're all very welcome and it will be great to re-see some from the past we never expected to see race again in England and the new boys showing us what they can do.

But don't expect an easy ride. The Brits will want to beat ya!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting close and we are all VERY excited! We have been doing a lot of fundraising in the USA to cover the costs of Minibus and petrol costs (at UK prices!!!) and are close to making our target. We had an offer from someone in the UK today to chip in, leaving us just $700 short of our target. Just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone else wanted to join the fray. These guys spend a lot of money in coming over and put on a fabulous show, so any help, big or small, really helps. PM me if you are interested!

As well as our 8 touring riders, we will also have Ryan Fisher, Chris Kerr and Ricky Wells riding for us in the Ipswich match (and hopefully Sheffield too). Before anyone does the maths (as thats 11 riders), the plan with the PL matches is to run an 18 heat, 9 man formula. Each team will field a #8 and #9 who race each other 3 times. Both teams 8 and 9 will most likely be made up of the lesser experienced Americans.

At Lakeside too we will run the same format though most likely Fish won't be available at #1 as it clashes with Edinburgh's night, so likely he will be replaced with a non American guest.

It's definitely exciting to be racing Premier Level teams (Ipswich and Lakeside will be putting out PL level opposition too)whilst a little scary as we have no idea how we will do! Whilst the American Touring Team is not affiliated to the American Motorcyclist Association, this series of races is the closest we have had in a long time to a test match series with a USA team. I'm sure those as old as me rememeber how great they were!!

Below is our traditional pre tour ebay action - this time a helmet signed by American World Champions including Individual, Pairs, Team, Under 21. So far Penhall, Hancock, Ermolenko, Hamill, Schwartz, Preston and Larsen have all agreed to sign.

Link below;

http://cgi.ebay.com/American-World-Speedway-Champions-Autographed-Helmet-/130433677429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5e73f875

Last spot on the squad is likely to go to Jason Ramirez, who debuted last year. Jason had bad luck on the last tour (got sick from a spider bite and missed the last two races) and then broke his back in April, though he has shone in three meetings since returning including Victorville last night. Jason and his dad are working really hard to get things together in time and I hope to have 100% confirmation in the next day or two.

I like the way you focus on the spider bite incident and then casually throw in the broken back as an afterthought!

At Lakeside too we will run the same format though most likely Fish won't be available at #1 as it clashes with Edinburgh's night, so likely he will be replaced with a non American guest.

It's definitely exciting to be racing Premier Level teams (Ipswich and Lakeside will be putting out PL level opposition too)whilst a little scary as we have no idea how we will do!

Don't wish to be branded a pessimist or a 'wet blanket' but I note that Lakeside make no mention yet of the Oct 15th. visit of the USA team on either the news or more importantly the fixtures pages on their web-site nor I believe in the fixtures in their programme!! :shock:

Only some of us have vivid memories of the 'London Riders Championship' (sic) which never did happen at Arena...: and THAT after a big publicity splurge!! :rolleyes:

I do hope that this meeting at Lakeside (the USA one) is going ahead but a little confirmation from that club might not go amiss... :neutral:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We, Team Castro, would like to take this opportunity to THANK EVERYONE who made this tour a success. To all of you who actually did the work without expecting any of the glory !

Who gave us the gift of your hospitality, from a warm bed to taking care of our laundry, transportation to home cooked meals. To those who saw a need and met it with flying colors ! THANK YOU. Our merchandise girls where able to cover the expense of the entire team + entourage at one of our over night stays ! THANK YOU. To our family and friends both here and abroad for your encouragement. Thank You.

Steve Evans - it goes without saying, but I will .....Thank You !

Colin, you didn’t let us run out of methanol ! Mary (Mandy & Ryan), Andrew of the Penhall Museum, Tricia, Sandie (you are still my bbff even after what you said!),

Lora, Fez, Glyn Taylor,Laurence, Geoff @ Cov Comp, Merle & Sophie

( sorry Sophie, I know those New Yorkers are a hand full !) , the Neil’s (Corbett & Painter) for excellent equipment, Nick Wellstead for our bibs.

To all the the Fans ! Wow ! You kept us going.

Thank You to ALL the track Promoters, who keep us coming back. Our friend Mike Bowden, Neil Machin. CVS can now boast to having the ‘Oldest Rider in His Olympique’ !

Our personal tour Sponsors, Alan, Team Hellbound ( Autohaus & Maniac Mike) the Fieslers, Capt. Methane, Butch, Johnny ! THANK YOU.

These tours are the beginning of bringing Americans back to the

World Arena of Speedway !

~Eddie and Romie Castro~

What a lovely posting, Romie. Surely the Speedway Star will contact you or Steve for an interview during the winter close season. I'd hoped they would do one while you were over here and include photos.

Thanks for coming over and entertaining us. No rain offs this time! You should be proud of your old man Fast Eddie maximum man Castro! Please return next year.

Edited by Storming Norman