British Speedway Forum

Swc Final, Vojens, 31/07/2010

Self serving promoters. With no interest in British speedway, just their own clubs.

How many clubs run training schools, or give young riders the opportunity to practice.

I understand tracks that have other events staged there, Football, Rugby or Banger racing etc.

Vojens is a copy of Loomer road in Stoke (The track, not the facilities, I hasten to add).

A track that is not used for anything else, the Danes practice there, so why not Team GB?

Surely thats what the NL is for ... to bring on young british riders who then go on to the PL and hopefully the EL ... I think the problem lies with the size of the Elite League, its does not offer enough meetings to encourage young british talent to move up.

We also have riders in the comfort zone earning good money in the PL who lack ambition or belief for a prolonged effort in the EL :(

Whatever happened to the Marvin Cox 80cc scheme from years ago ... that was going to be our saviour once :neutral:

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on - you really WEREN'T listening if you didn't notice that for the last five or six heats the commentary team gave virtually no mention to the battle between the Danes and Poland for the title, whilst instead screaming and shouting about whether or not 'Team GB' could overhaul Sweden for what they called 'bronze' or 'a place on the rostrum'. :shock:

Quite the most extraordinary commentary I've ever heard for a televised sports event...

\

You after another job now then Parsnips old fruit? :rolleyes::wink:

Like quite a lot im gutted SKY didnt repeat the final in full as i expected.

Shame really, unless its live programme today cant see why they wouldnt have sloted it in.

Gutted as i stored the other meetings.

If we all email Sky they may put it on anytime?

Why give Sky so much stick? They had 4 lives events scheduled for Sunday afternoon with 4 channels. The Speedway was rescheduled from Saturday giving them 5 live events to cover on 4 channels. It wasn't their fault that it was rained of on Saturday and they did a fine job fitting it in on Sunday.

Sure it was disappointing for some people, but you can't really blame Sky.

Oh you watched it ok then???

Fair enuff about the re scheduling,but why must they repeat tonights meeting THREE times/

They could edit the SWC and show it in place of onr of those repeats??

You haven't looked very hard if you've not found other sports with countries using people born in other countries. And is that really all you could find in the England cricket team????

I wasn't looking or researching, that would be pretty sad to spend ages Googling just to justify a point on a discussion forum, I commented with what I knew off top of my head.

Come on - you really WEREN'T listening if you didn't notice that for the last five or six heats the commentary team gave virtually no mention to the battle between the Danes and Poland for the title, whilst instead screaming and shouting about whether or not 'Team GB' could overhaul Sweden for what they called 'bronze' or 'a place on the rostrum'. :shock:

Quite the most extraordinary commentary I've ever heard for a televised sports event...

But surely this broadcast you recieve was for British people, other countries take the visuals from SKY and have their own commentators for their TV, I watched it on a Polsh internet stream and they were on about the Polish riders most of the time, that commentary you listend to doesn't go out around the world

GB would still have bottled it at the end, as they did.

They didn't "bottle it". They were just beaten on the day.

Why is there post after post on this forum belittling and condemning the team or the team manager no matter how hard they tried. Some people hardly ever praise any rider anymore for their efforts, but then I suppose it is easier to keep to the trend of having a go at them :blink:

Without STILL not knowing the result, I'm particulary angry at the non record of the reply on Sky Sports this morning/afternoon.

I set the Sky+ for the time it said on the sky listings, come home to put my feet up and enjoy the meeting........and no sodding programme recorded. No other replays, and a really cheesed off sky customer.

In the end, Great Britain were only 6 points behind the silver medal place

If Scott Nicholls had bothered to turn up, GB could well have made 2nd place

Mind you, the Swedes can probably say the same about Lindgren

Well done to Chris Harris, only Gollob won more races

At LFC, we dream of a team of Carraghers

Perhaps GB should dream of a team of Harrises!

The worry, though, is that the five selected riders are still probably our top 5

Who's coming through?

We must make more places available in our leagues for home-grown riders

This thread is about the SWC Final – can you guys go and start your own thread – please!rolleyes.gif

You've lost me - how is commenting on what was truly shockingly bad coverage by Sky in any way not relevant to this thread..

It was after all the method by which over 90% of us commenting on here (I'm guessing...) saw this meeting...

As for the comment that it's a British coverage so it should concentrate on the GB position.. Well, that's like saying that the commentary on the 2012 Olympics 100 metres Final should ignore the race between Bolt and Gay for the Gold medal and concentrate only on the GB athlete finishing sixth or seventh... It wouldn't happen in that sport and frankly it insulted our intelligence as Speedway fans that Pearson & Tatum did what they did yesterday...

Without STILL not knowing the result, I'm particulary angry at the non record of the reply on Sky Sports this morning/afternoon.

I set the Sky+ for the time it said on the sky listings, come home to put my feet up and enjoy the meeting........and no sodding programme recorded. No other replays, and a really cheesed off sky customer.

Yep - Load of Dog rubbish eh? :sad:

In the end, Great Britain were only 6 points behind the silver medal place

If Scott Nicholls had bothered to turn up, GB could well have made 2nd place

Mind you, the Swedes can probably say the same about Lindgren

Well done to Chris Harris, only Gollob won more races

At LFC, we dream of a team of Carraghers

Perhaps GB should dream of a team of Harrises!

The worry, though, is that the five selected riders are still probably our top 5

Who's coming through?

We must make more places available in our leagues for home-grown riders

I dream of ...

1. Peter Collins

2. Dave Jessup

3. John Louis

4. Malc Simmons

5. Chris Morton

6. Michael Lee (1978-80)

7. Ray Wilson

8. Gary Havelock

9. Kenny Carter

10.John Davis

11.Les Collins

12.Phil Collins

13.Martin Ashby

14.Gordon Kennett

15.Simon Cross

16.Mark Loram

17.Chris Louis

18.Martin Dugard

19.Simon Wigg

20.Jem Doncaster

21.Doug Wyer

and even Kelvin Tatum !!! ... shows just how far we have slipped from the days when we had to think who to leave out and how to tell them ! :(

I dream of ...

1. Peter Collins

2. Dave Jessup

3. John Louis

4. Malc Simmons

5. Chris Morton

6. Michael Lee (1978-80)

7. Ray Wilson

8. Gary Havelock

9. Kenny Carter

10.John Davis

11.Les Collins

12.Phil Collins

13.Martin Ashby

14.Gordon Kennett

15.Simon Cross

16.Mark Loram

17.Chris Louis

18.Martin Dugard

19.Simon Wigg

20.Jem Doncaster

21.Doug Wyer

and even Kelvin Tatum !!! ... shows just how far we have slipped from the days when we had to think who to leave out and how to tell them ! :(

It is a list of riders spanning about 20 years or more if you take them at their best.This year we just can pick from the best at the moment.But if we produce a list from this year and going back 20 years,we can include some of the riders in your list as well.There were a few(and only a few if you look back at our history)when we produced a crop of good riders.To have a period like we are in now isn't a one off.We had to bolsted our squad with Antipodeans for quite a while because we couldn't produce enough quality of our own.........

As for the comment that it's a British coverage so it should concentrate on the GB position.. Well, that's like saying that the commentary on the 2012 Olympics 100 metres Final should ignore the race between Bolt and Gay for the Gold medal and concentrate only on the GB athlete finishing sixth or seventh... It wouldn't happen in that sport and frankly it insulted our intelligence as Speedway fans that Pearson & Tatum did what they did yesterday...

Now that's not what I said at all, I did not say they should concentrate on the GB position, I said they were doing it because it was being broadcast to Britain.

If you could see other countries broadcast of the same pictures, you get their countries commentators putting their slant on whats happening, with the emphasis on their riders, that's all I said.....It's the same the world over

Makes no difference.

GB would still have bottled it at the end, as they did.

Yet again, got into a medal positions (2 up on Sweden) and bottled it.

Totally wrong attitudes once again from the off.

"We're aiming for bronze". They should be aiming to win, not likely, but that should still be their aim.

Your quite right, there were times in the meeting where they were within shouting distance of the lead, and if attitudes or bikes were better then they may have got a lot nearer to poland!