British Speedway Forum

Mauger Better Than Rickardsson?

TonyMac

It's a tricky argument - one-off World Final v GP - but in a way I'm glad for Ivan Mauger that Tony Rickardsson didn't manage to emulate his record six individual title wins this year.

Nothing against Tony, of coyrse, who is a great champion in his own right.

It's just that Mauger deserves to continue to reign supreme in history. Had the GP series been in place years earlier he would doubtless have been crowned champion almost every year throughout the 70s, as well as the last two years of the previous decade.

Oh, what have I said? OK, PC would have taken some beating in 1976 & '77, had the GP applied then but could he have quite matched Ivan's incredible consistency.

Blimey, though, remember when PC courageously ignored his terrible leg injury to race in the wet at Gothenburgh in '77? What an effort that was.

I suppose the Ole Olsen fans will be on my case now, too...

Why did I start this argument?

No, I'm sticking with Ivan. He would have won at least 8 titles under the GP format, but I can't see Tony adding three more to his impressive haul - not now that Pedersen has broken through and Jason Crump, Ryan Sullivan and Leigh Adams are also on the charge...

Well, what do you think????

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the one off meeting for the world title no longer exist Ivan Maugers' record cannot be broken, therefore he will always have the crown for his record number of World Championship titles until this event is resurrected, if ever it is :neutral:

TRick on the other hand has set a new record for the GP series World Championship title.

I've read this and read this, I understand it :unsure: I think :oops: then again maybe I've not worded it right but hey I know what I meant :approve::D

We must be on the same wavelength, because I understand what you mean...and I agree. You cannot compare the two because they won their world titles under two completely different set ups.

Ivan's record is 6 "world titles", Rickardsson currently has 5 "world titles" to his name. Should Rickarddson win another he will equal Ivan, 2 more and he will better it. The format is totally irrelevent for the purpose of deciding who was world champion the most times, it isn't a matter of personal opinion, it is fact laid out in black and white.

As for who would have won more given different formats now that is a matter of opinion, I would guess Ivan would have maybe won a couple more early to mid seventies under a GP format but then again I doubt he would have won in 1977 or 1979 under a GP format. Six is probably a fair reflection of how he would probably have faired under any format.

Based on pure ability on a speedway machine, I'd go for Tony any day of the week. The guy can gate, overtake (inside/outside), he's fast, he's hard - he's just got it all.

Mauger's outstanding talent was his ability to gate under pressure. That is what won him World Titles in years in which he really wasn't the best on the planet (72, 77, 79).

Guest wes lake

There is no argument here Tony is far superior rider wise, Ivan was a master at trapping but from the back was nowhere near as good as Tony,although Ivan was a fantastic rider in his day and has six ind titals, for sheer riding ability and guts it has to be Tony for all round ability.

I dont think you can compare the two riders at all. Two totally different era's of speedway with different rules, machines etc. Only think you can compare riders who have ridden at the same time where there is stability in rules, tracks, machines etc.

Hey Wes, dont take it personal, but think you are totally wrong. Tony has the make up to be as great, but Mauger was the original hard case psyco, tempered with extremely high intelligence and determination. Until Tony, all due respect, knows what it is like to clean the showers out at a speedway track for the chance for a second half ride, and then become multi champ thru determination without a lot of natural ability, then i will agree, so until then, shoot, get outta town! Go get in the truck! All of this is said with greatest due respect to the great Swede. :blink: Weslakes were underpowered dude, but i will admit it is rumoured they had good torque.. ;)

Tony has the make up to be as great, but Mauger was the original hard case psyco, tempered with extremely high intelligence and determination. Until Tony, all due respect, knows what it is like to clean the showers out at a speedway track for the chance for a second half ride, and then become multi champ thru determination without a lot of natural ability, then i will agree, so until then, shoot, get outta town!

There seeems to be this assumption that Tony came to England with a silver spoon in his mouth. I remember him first arriving here to ride for Ipswich as a young 18/19 year old, he wasn't the best in the world straight away, he battled away and eventually established himself.

Just because it took Mauger a lot longer to make it shouldn't reflect badly on Rickardson. If anything it points to the opposite - Tony made it quicker because he was more talented.

Sorry falcace, I didn't think about how they became world champions when I posted, I was just commenting on the fact that they both within their rights of being World Title record holders.

Jez I think hit the nail on the head when he said : "I dont think you can compare the two riders at all. Two totally different era's of speedway with different rules, machines etc. Only think you can compare riders who have ridden at the same time where there is stability in rules, tracks, machines etc."

Both Ivan Mauger and Tony Rickardsson are Champions. Michael Lee was my absolute hero as a kid (next to Uncle Ted and Kelvin Mullarkey of course :wink: ) but Hans Nielsen ............. pure class.

Mauger's outstanding talent was his ability to gate under pressure. That is what won him World Titles in years in which he really wasn't the best on the planet (72, 77, 79).

Agreed on 77 & 79 but 1972 from memory was one of Ivans better years and that despite breaking both wrists part way through the season.

all i can say is Mauger would have won the Grand Prix this year had he been as close as Tony was. having said that, age and outdated equiptment would have made it a wee bit tougher for him.. B) i also reckon Ivan, in the Elite League racing against the current batch of racers, would have fared with an 8 or 8+ average....... Main reason being of course is he is in his sixties!!!!! :rolleyes: . Is it just me????

Edited by sandman

• 11 months later...
Guest BilaHora

All

Please forgive me for coming [very] late to this thread but, in my opinion, as with others here, is that you cannot compare the achievements of these two fine riders. However, what I believe you can compare in the two is the way they have both taken speedway riding to a new level. Ivan Mauger was probably the first to bring total professionalism to the sport, attracting sponsors and such like, while now Tony Rickardsson hires executive boxes to accommodate his sponsors at certain grands prix. In this respect, in my opinion, the two men are comparable.

Regards

BilaHora

Who's to say that if you transported Crunp, Adams, Pedersen and Trick back to the Mauger era that they would not have all beat him out of sight? ow do we not know that Mauiger didn't have it easy as all his challangers while good, were not of the same standard as the guys TRick has had to beat? Or the other way around, Mauger may have won every GP series ever if he had been around now.

You simply CANNOT compare era's, it's not possible, never will be either. At the end of the day Mauger has the most world titles, Trick second best (I'd love to see hm take a couple more, just so I have something to tell the grand kids!).

One thing I do seem to remember, about 3 years ago, during a meeting in Aus, Phil Crump and Ivan Mauger had 3 match races, the first match race was the fasterest time of the night, then the othet guy won the the 2nd one in what become the fastest time of the night and then the guy who won the first one (I think it was Mauger, Crump, Mauger) won the 3rd in what was the fastest time of the night. Them 3 times remained the fastest 3 times of the night. Maybe I have got it wrong (I don't think so though) but if I have not, it does seem to suggest the guys of the "good ol' days" were better than the modern guys.

can't really go on match races as these are all for show, but if times are faster, then fair play.

have had more than one good chat with Ivan and Vaclav Verner about the merits of laydown engines compared to the older Jap/2-valve etc, and both agree whole heartedly that the laydowns are just far too easy to ride.

when you put that together with slick tracks you have both ingredients required to look good.

opponents for both eras is a little harder to call ...

Mauger (without the 'i') era ... he 'only' had to contend with the likes of Briggs, Olsen, Michanek, Peter Collins, Mike Lee (at his best), Fundin (although at the end of his great career), Harrfeldt, Ronnie Moore (once again leaning towards the end of his career), the Poles on their own tracks were unbelievable, and the list could go on ...

Rickardsson era ... Jason Crump, Hamill, Hancock, maybe Loram, Gollob, Leigh Adams the list could go on here too ...

sometimes i feel had GP's been around in Mauger's era he would have won more titles, and had one-off finals stayed, Rickardsson may not have won so many... swings and roundabouts really, but something everyone has to agree on is that both were/are (Ivan can still get round a track pretty sharpish) fantastic riders.

Edited by stevehone