British Speedway Forum

Grand Prix In Australia And New Zealand?

Just a few days ago I saw an interview with someone from BSI or FIM mentioning that 2011 could possibly start with March GP meetings in Australia and New Zealand. Actually, similar stories are heared all around every year or two but I was wondering if you see any chance of getting that pushed through. If so - where would that be held? Sydney? Melbourne? Wellington? Somewhere else?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few days ago I saw an interview with someone from BSI or FIM mentioning that 2011 could possibly start with March GP meetings in Australia and New Zealand. Actually, similar stories are heared all around every year or two but I was wondering if you see any chance of getting that pushed through. If so - where would that be held? Sydney? Melbourne? Wellington? Somewhere else?

wheels are turning

Sorry I don't agree the last Grand Prix in Australia was fairly well attended it was just in the wrong location.

I think the cost of hire and clean up afterwards crippled the local promoter.

A more humble abode is required but Australia deserves a GP. New Zealand not so sure but it makes logistical sense.

I don't think Sky would worry one little bit about taking a feed from the other side of the world.

Edited by Fingersfin

it will never happen. cannot get the crowds in oz. sky will make sure of that.because they did not get the crowds in sydney. being sky has a lot of say in these gps. :approve:

Both NZ and Oz are too keen on cars - especially sprint cars and midgets - when it comes to speedway. Other forms of car racing dominate the NZ track scene. About 30 tracks there - not one really interested in solo bikes (apart from Rosebank).

New Zealand not so sure but it makes logistical sense.

Seemed to be a fair degree of coverage of speedway (in its various forms) when I went to NZ a couple of years ago, and it was more visible than in many of the major speedway countries. Wasn't Wellington mentioned a few years ago, when a NZ GP was briefly announced and then deleted from the SGP calendar?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Isn't Western Springs under some threat because of noise. Or has that been sorted out?

I am not from Auckland, but do believe that there are still problems with the 'neighbours', mores the pity.

Somewhere around 25 years ago, the Australasian Final of the World Championship was held at Ruapuna Park (Templeton) Speedway. At least I had the honour of being to say that I started the events just one step below the final.

Ruapuna still do hold the odd solo and side car races, but there is a dedicated track for Solos and Sidecars few kilometres Westward out of Christchurch at West Melton. Some excellent meetings are being held there.

Speedway Fan (for more than 54 years)

Edited by speedwayfan

Just looked at a picture of that. Beautiful place for motorsport.

Good spot for a Rock Concert too - I remember seeing Fleetwood Mac and the Beach Boys there in the '70's, as well as speedcars (Midgets) and bikes.

Mainly remember the Beach Boys concert 'cos a mate from Oz was doing the sound for the tour, so we managed to sleaze backstage after the gig, and after the after-gig party I staggered back to me ol' Humber, started 'er up, went to change gear and the gearshift came off in me hand - like, 'Wow, Man'!! :oops: Taxi!!

How about Homebush Park again? Not sure if ANZ Stadium would be the best choice but there is a 460m speedway track on the new Sydney Showground. The only issue with it is that fences are concrete and even putting air fences on it does not make it safe enough. The showground's infrastructure isn't good enough from my point of view. Although if GP could have been run in Vojens, Linkoping, Mallila or Krsko, then the showground doesn't look that bad (despite poor vision at the second bend).

Parramatta could be another pick. It is used for sprintcars only though.