British Speedway Forum

British Final And Semi Finals

Awful, awful, awful meeting last night. Track was prepared the slickest I've probably ever seen it which I called at the start of the meeting as a gate & go track, which is exactly what was served up to a disappointed paying public.

Couple of nasty looking crashes which I hope all are OK but when a National League rider provides most of the entertainment & track reserve at that it just shows how poor it was last night.

I could have walked out after the first 8 heat but as always stuck around in hope that it would get better. It didn't

I'm sooooo looking forward to the World Cup meeting now, NOT :angry:

gate and go track and clewsy qualified, weird

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that statement from Woffinden! Very dissapointing. hopefully it was just said in the heat of disappointment having not qualified.

Wuffy moaning about his lot. Just think if he did decide to ride for Oz instead of GB. 1. He would have no Grand Prix to worry about. 2. No British semi final to cause him any stress. 3. No World team cup so could also have a nice summer break. Or maybe he hadnt quite thought that one through. ;)

Awful, awful, awful meeting last night. Track was prepared the slickest I've probably ever seen it which I called at the start of the meeting as a gate & go track, which is exactly what was served up to a disappointed paying public.

Couple of nasty looking crashes which I hope all are OK but when a National League rider provides most of the entertainment & track reserve at that it just shows how poor it was last night.

I could have walked out after the first 8 heat but as always stuck around in hope that it would get better. It didn't

I'm sooooo looking forward to the World Cup meeting now, NOT :angry:

One of the 'problems' last night was the fact that Richardson, Harris, Stead and Bridger met in heat one.

With all respect to the riders on show, Heat 20 was almost a foregone conclusion as a win for Bridger.

I have long advocated for Individual meetings that the promoters seed the 'expected' top four riders to No's 4, 5, 11 & 14. (They would still 'ballot' those 4 riders for those positions)

I know it doesn't always work out that way, but the majority of times it would produce an interesting Finale.

ATB

Dave

One of the 'problems' last night was the fact that Richardson, Harris, Stead and Bridger met in heat one.

With all respect to the riders on show, Heat 20 was almost a foregone conclusion as a win for Bridger.

I have long advocated for Individual meetings that the promoters seed the 'expected' top four riders to No's 4, 5, 11 & 14. (They would still 'ballot' those 4 riders for those positions)

I know it doesn't always work out that way, but the majority of times it would produce an interesting Finale.

ATB

Dave

Keep it nice and fair for everyone, yeh?

Let's scrap the semis, and even the final. Just chuck Harris, Richardson, Woffinden, and Nicholls out in a race and the winner is British champion :rolleyes:

Keep it nice and fair for everyone, yeh?

Let's scrap the semis, and even the final. Just chuck Harris, Richardson, Woffinden, and Nicholls out in a race and the winner is British champion :rolleyes:

Can't see where I suggested anything like that! :angry:

Just that a heat 20 with the 'top four' riders in would be a mouthwatering end to a 20 heat meeting, and could potentially lead to three explosive heats if the meeting format had a Semi Final and Final!

ATB

Dave

The track was a bit slicker than usual so whoever gated was going to have a prime chance of winning the race, it only needed a bit more dirt and water and it would have been a lot better racing, having said that buster was probably under instructions and it had also threatened to rain all day. Furthermore i think the gulf in quality from Harris,Bridger,Stead and Kennett showed, dont get me wrong Schramm,King,Clews all looked good to but where never going to beat the others, thought wilko was try hard too. If the british final was to be at Kings Lynn with your Nicholls,Danny King and had he qualified Woffinden in it you would see better and closer racing. Good to see Mallet in there mixing it with them and also good to see Roynon go out and get a heat win and start to look like the rider we know :)

Nothing wrong with the track last night. Bridger showed how to pass when outgated in his third ride.

There were always going to be poor races due to the gulf in class between the EL boys and the rest and the fact that four of them met in heat one. Daft to compare the meeting to the upcoming SWC as that will have at least three riders in each race of similar ability.

I heard a few years ago that if a reserve replaces a rider for an entire meeting then his score counts.

Eg. Rider number 1 crashes on 1st bend and is carted off to hospital, ref calls for all 4 back, reserve takes place of rider number 1 for that one riders 5 rides, his score counts

I should have been more precise. There are two types of reserves in formal individual competitions. The case you give is where a meeting reserve replaces just one rider for all of his five programmed rides. Meeting reserves are usually the highest non-qualifiers outside the 16 riders in the meeting itself and would have been next in line if a rider had withdrawn from the meeting prior to the start.

Track reserves are usually riders who are nowhere near qualification level for the meeting, and usually members of the local team or its juniors. Obviously if they are replacing various riders, taking an odd number of rides, facing some riders twice or even more or not at all their scores can't count.

Can't see where I suggested anything like that! :angry:

Just that a heat 20 with the 'top four' riders in would be a mouthwatering end to a 20 heat meeting, and could potentially lead to three explosive heats if the meeting format had a Semi Final and Final!

ATB

Dave

The old World Championship qualifying rounds often were dealt with in just the way you suggest but with the top four meeting in heat 19!

Talk about spitting the dummy! Now he wants to take his ball and run back to Oz?

I have complete sympathy with Tai. He is having a difficult year after the death of his dad. Also, owing to the lack of credible British candidates, he is plunged into the SGP series before he is ready just to suit Sky who want two British riders in the competition. I guess their thinking is that just because Emil had such a sensational debut season so can Tai. However, Tai does not have the financial resources that Emil has. He doesn't have a collection of bikes at his disposal hence he had to ship his own out to Gothenburg then rely upon borrowed equipment in order to line up for the semi at Sheffield. Then, of course, there is the abandonment of the Sheffield meeting from which Tai may well have qualified (although on Jonno's bikes this could always be a bit of a lottery!).

Now, I want you to think very hard about this. Can you imagine that on the eve of a SGB, say at Cardiff, that in Poland or Sweden their governing bodies would insist that their GP riders take part in a meeting on the prior Thursday in their home countries. I somewhat doubt it. No wonder, and not just in Speedway, that so many successful sports men and women have gained their successes in spite of the system rather than because of it.

The old World Championship qualifying rounds often were dealt with in just the way you suggest but with the top four meeting in heat 19!

It was pretty much a convention in most individual meetings. It gave a heat's break to any of the riders in heat 19 who might then have to go into a run-off.

I have complete sympathy with Tai. He is having a difficult year after the death of his dad. Also, owing to the lack of credible British candidates, he is plunged into the SGP series before he is ready just to suit Sky who want two British riders in the competition. I guess their thinking is that just because Emil had such a sensational debut season so can Tai. However, Tai does not have the financial resources that Emil has. He doesn't have a collection of bikes at his disposal hence he had to ship his own out to Gothenburg then rely upon borrowed equipment in order to line up for the semi at Sheffield. Then, of course, there is the abandonment of the Sheffield meeting from which Tai may well have qualified (although on Jonno's bikes this could always be a bit of a lottery!).

Now, I want you to think very hard about this. Can you imagine that on the eve of a SGB, say at Cardiff, that in Poland or Sweden their governing bodies would insist that their GP riders take part in a meeting on the prior Thursday in their home countries. I somewhat doubt it. No wonder, and not just in Speedway, that so many successful sports men and women have gained their successes in spite of the system rather than because of it.

totally agree.other countries look after there riders.then you get the idiots on here who want a succesfull brit but critisize him when he gives it a go at the top level.tais young and needs all the help he can get and no matter what fans think he is our best hope of getting to compete at the top

From BSPA website

BIG hitters Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris will clash in the opening race of the eagerly-awaited British Final at Wolverhampton on June 14.

Harris, who qualified for the event from the King’s Lynn semi-final, has been drawn in the number two racejacket and Nicholls, who is rejuvenated this season, is at number four.

That means a mouthwatering first heat in a meeting which sees Harris defending his national title – and ex-champ Nicholls is desperate to win it back!

There’s also the extra motivation of a place in the British Grand Prix at Cardiff on July 10 as the wildcard should Nicholls regain his title – or finish runner-up to Harris who is already in the SGP series.

Series co-ordinator David Hoggart said: “To see Chris and Scott up against each other in the opening race means fans can’t afford to be late for this one!

“We also have the run-off for the last qualifying spot between Danny King and Richard Hall and both riders will be desperate to make it through. Danny’s Elite League experience will make him favourite but Richard will have other ideas.

“A place at Cardiff is a terrific incentive and the way Scott is riding he could go all the way, but there are 14 other riders who are desperate to make it.

“Wolverhampton is a fine stadium and always provides terrific entertainment. I expect this meeting to be no different.”

BRITISH FINAL DRAW – Wolverhampton, Monday June 14 (7.30):

Andrew Tully, Chris Harris, Oliver Allen, Scott Nicholls, James Wright, Jason King, Paul Clews, Edward Kennett, Simon Stead, Lewis Bridger, Richard Hall or Danny King, Jordan Frampton, Ben Barker, Chris Schramm, Stuart Robson, Leigh Lanham.

Scott had a good meeting at Wolverhampton on Monday.Gate 4 in heat 1 is never easy but at least it gets the Scott vs Bomber race out of the way, that is unless there is a run-off :-). I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but there was a section in the Bees program vs Ipswich where Bomber was saying how good it was to see Scott back on form which was good to read.

Scott had a good meeting at Wolverhampton on Monday.Gate 4 in heat 1 is never easy but at least it gets the Scott vs Bomber race out of the way, that is unless there is a run-off :-). I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but there was a section in the Bees program vs Ipswich where Bomber was saying how good it was to see Scott back on form which was good to read.

I can sure Guess what Scott will be doing if he doesn't hit the traps in Ht one !!! ;)