British Speedway Forum

British Final And Semi Finals

Seems to be the British way though, lets knock the guy, the guy who has tonight shown he is the 3rd best Brit when it matters. It's ok saying Tai, Simon and Rico have higher averages in the league but in individual meeting Ben has shown he can step it up. We have a young British rider I the rise and some can only slag him off. I could sit here and come up with a long list of Bens flaws but tonight he beat all but the top British GP rider and one who's been there for years, he's caught and passed the likes of King and Kennett who have for years been the next big thing and he has gone quite some way ahead of Woffy by even being there. How about rather than claiming Ben is, "That Barker has fast bikes and low skill levels. A massive crash waiting to happen and nearly always out of control. Large cahooners but little else." congratulating him on a fine 3rd place in the British final with some great gating and passing when he had to do it.

I am not a Ben Barker fan but credit where it's due and you are spot on with your postSCB:approve:

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ref must have wanted Harris to win, as if , as he should have excluded him, then he wouldn't have made the final!!

He'd have score 9, which would have made him 3rd qualifer for the semi. You have to fancy that if he could win the final with 3rd choice of gate, he'd have won the semi with 3rd choice of gate too. Even allowing for Bomber not being in that race so Bridger somehow winning it (so he is also elevated above Jason King in that race) he only scored 9 too, but Bomber had beat Robbo and Lewis and had more wins so would have beat them pair, even in a run off he'd have beat them.

There is no way Bomber would have failed to make the final, even if he had been (right, IMO) excluded.

track is shocking, ruining what should be an entertaining meeting.
Track is a disgrace IMO to be honest even though Eddie K thinks it ok. A tricky track at the best of times but when its prepared like this it produces horrible crashes like Harris and Bridger..
on that track tonight alot of riders looked out of control

Its called dirt !!

There was nothing wrong with the track, it had plenty of grip on it and most riders had set them selves up to get out of the gates more than the top end power so in the turns their bikes were finding grip and they found it hard to control.

I hope Ben Barker doesn't qualify for cardiff as It's more entertaining reading about his antics in the crowd on the forums

After watching Ben being almost carried into the stadium last year, it looks like the takings may be down a bit in some of the public houses in Cardiff now he is meeting reserve !!

Overall, Bomber and Scott showed that they are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack tonight and I'm pleased it was those two that filled the top 2 places.

Well Done to Ben Barker who rode well and Stuart Robson who rode like that earlier in the season at Monmore with Lakeside. Ed Kennett was ok but not up with the big three as Daniel King for me was one of the best on parade and its good he gets to expierence the Cardiff atmosphere as a reserve.

Bridger has no one but himself to blame tonight. Dropped vital points that would have placed him in the semi's ... a wiser head on his shoulders may have seen him through and a possible final place that ensures a trip to Cardiff.

Pity Barker mucked up the first turn, would have been much better to see a new wildcard at Cardiff, a young GB rider on his way up rather than, the old guard on their way out.

GP this year has shown the new young breed starting to dominate, if GB are to catch up, Barker or King would have learnt more from a wild card position.

track is shocking, ruining what should be an entertaining meeting.

not surprising to see a few of the pl boys get out of shape but when you see Harris going flying like that 14 heats in to a meeting! something is definitely not right.

Sorry but your talking a load of old pony there friend IMO ;) .I believe it's called racing on a grippy shale surface(remember them?!!)The track looked lovely and smooth and was commented on that way by several of the riders including Scotty Nicholls.Ever thought crashes were down to 'pilot error'? :shock: Some riders have become far too used to racing on slick motorway surfaces-fine for them but not the fans!Real speedway riders just get on with it-i cannot remember derogatory comments from Chris Harris or other riders about the track so go figure....

Edited by Young51

Ref must have wanted Harris to win, as if , as he should have excluded him, then he wouldn't have made the final!!

What a load of . . .

Do you really think that if Harris had been excluded in that race, the crash in his race against Barker would actually still have occurred?

The track looked far from easy to ride in the early heats to be honest but with 23 heats last night then maybe a little more dirt was put on, the poole riders managed to ride it no problems tonight :unsure::lol: The racing did improve after heat 6 or so and in the end it made for good racing.

Gutted Scott didn't win, he got caught between the cornish mafia in the first bend of the final with Barker taking him out wide then locking up allowing Harris to shoot off. At least he Nicholls is at Cardiff in a few weeks.

Congrats to Bomber Harris - deserved British Champion once more ! Also, great display from Ben Barker on brand new bikes ( should see the real rider this season now ! ).

Tough meeting and for a Bees fan I for one am pleased to see the back of without major injury to any rider - is there anywhere a more competitive meet outside of the GPs / WTC ?

Cheers

Very disappointed after last nights British final, It appeared to me that along with the referee the Sky team had very little time for the Premier League riders involved ( Who might i add had every right to be there ).

Andrew Tully's start from heat 1 was brought up in conversation until heat 8!! The lad didnt even do nothing wrong maybe got a flyer but didnt touch the tapes at all, then the worse comment ever came, something along the lines of he got in Nicholls way for a lap and a half - unbelievable!!

Lanham - Belle vue?

Schramm - Eastbourne?

I hear people saying that its the weakest line-up in the British final for some time, well deal with it thats all we've got and until certain people start to give the "lesser riders" a chance it will be Scotty, Bomber and Kennett for some time to come!

Congratulations to Chris Harris on his fine win.

A unhappy PL fan. :mad:

Edited by Stoney=Legend

ANYONE know where the refs box is at monmore? does it face the track!! :blink: Frampton being excluded is one of the worst ive seen,what on earth..........why does charlie keep asking nicholls or Harris what will it means to be british champ? i think they answered the question sometime way back!! Special mention to stuart Robson.How do they do the gate draw for semi and final?same as grand prix? anychance sky showing it or were there just straws involved?

She ask the same questions every time!! What does it mean,are you going to change your set-up etc etc.For christ sake girl,say something original.

What with the screaming imbecile telling us the bikes roar,and weve got a race on our hands nuff said!

Pity Barker mucked up the first turn, would have been much better to see a new wildcard at Cardiff, a young GB rider on his way up rather than, the old guard on their way out.

GP this year has shown the new young breed starting to dominate, if GB are to catch up, Barker or King would have learnt more from a wild card position.

Totally disagree, Scott getting the Wild Card was the best result for British Speedway as he is the only real Brit that can compete in a GP presently not in the Series and Barker and King will learn more from being kitted out in the kevlars on the day taking in the atmosphere and giving them a glimpse of what they could have in the future if they stay committed.

Tend to agree with the sentiment that better Nicholls be the Wild Card currently.

Throughly enjoyed the meeting watching on the box. What a performance by Bomber

in the circumstances. To get up from that fall and win ultimately was outstanding.

Pleased for the likes of Robbo and Danny King on the night.

The track looked far from easy to ride in the early heats to be honest but with 23 heats last night then maybe a little more dirt was put on, the poole riders managed to ride it no problems tonight The racing did improve after heat 6 or so and in the end it made for good racing.

Wasn't it wrong set ups as has been said already, probably through lack of experience on tracks with plenty of dirt (perhaps ;) ) and not enough grading being allowed (but that is always the way when SKY are in town, schedules to keep etc!)