British Speedway Forum

Brandonapolis Is Back

It has been announced that the once hugely popular Brandonapolis individual meeting is to be re-introduced to the Coventry racing calendar. The meeting which used to be held just after the World Final was once known as the revenge meeting because Charles Ochiltree would book as many as possible of the competitors from the world championship final, and it was an opportunity for riders to get one over on those who had done well in that event. The meeting went the same way as many other individual meetings in that it ran out of steam in the mid 1980s. The management appear to have decided that by holding it early in the season, before the Swedish, Polish and Grand Prix seasons commence, the top class rider will return, for an opportunity to sharpen up for the season and at the same time possibly win a substantial prize. The Bees top men are set to compete along with a number of current Grand Prix stars, names to be announced in the near future.

What do you, the speedway public think, will you be interested in attending such an event?

Edited by Beeone

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I much prefer to watch team racing than individual meetings, but I'll be there of course.

I remember the old Brandonapolis...... and The Golden Gauntlets at Leicester...... so it's good to see it has been revived.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I've seen the admission prices I don't think my family will be going. £20 for adults and £15 for concessions is having a laugh. I don't suppose my season ticket will be valid. When paying out for season tickets for my family I didn't expect to have to find another £60 to see the second meeting of the season! I'm still struggling through the recession!

Would be fair enough to offer discounts to season ticket holders at least IMO. As pointed out, to expect them to pay £20 for the second meeting of the season is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Does depend on the quality of the field, of which as yet we've heard 0%

Hans Andersen, Matej Zagar, Chris Harris, Edward Kennett, Rory Schlein & Ben Barker are the first riders named

http://www.coventrymotorspeedway.com/news.php?extend.1117

Please invite Freddie :D

Andersen & Zagar, excellent news, excellent quality

Would've been expecting to see Bees top 4.

The normal admission cost for you and your family would be £48, somits £12 extra, I dont see how you could think this meeting would be included in the cost of your season ticket.

Why not

At present we get 16 league, 1 KO Cup & 1 friendley for £300 thats 18 meetings @ £16 I make that £288. Not to mention already having my money gaining interest for them

I notice the Anniversary meeting at Somerset is free for season ticket holders but in any case the admission costs are a more reasonable £13, £10 and £4 AND the line up includes Hans Andersen, Lee Richardson and Seb Ulamek. Much better value for money imo. Why fleece the supporters to give silly prize money?

I notice the Anniversary meeting at Somerset is free for season ticket holders but in any case the admission costs are a more reasonable £13, £10 and £4 AND the line up includes Hans Andersen, Lee Richardson and Seb Ulamek. Much better value for money imo. Why fleece the supporters to give silly prize money?

Probably they are looking to make a profit, then they'll pay some tax, then your husband can be given his unemployment benefit.