British Speedway Forum

Joe Owen

Mike Litrus

Bring back the Gunners !

Oh yes.

Is the stadium still open for dogs and football? I remember reading a story in the Liverpool Echo that it was to be redeveloped. I spent many happy nights there watching the likes of Jacko and Peter Carr, and ,istening to and learning from the excellent Doug Adams on the p.a.

They were good years in the old National League and I have so many happy memories of some fine riders.

Rob McCaffery

Oh yes.

Is the stadium still open for dogs and football? I remember reading a story in the Liverpool Echo that it was to be redeveloped. I spent many happy nights there watching the likes of Jacko and Peter Carr, and ,istening to and learning from the excellent Doug Adams on the p.a.

They were good years in the old National League and I have so many happy memories of some fine riders.

Rob McCaffery

As far as I know there is still greyhound racing there. Also lets not forget Stuart Shirley who lost his life at the track.

Sorry John, must have been typing at the same time B)

Have to get onto my old mate John to amend his website.

Thanks for pointing out the error on the Ellesmere Page of www.defunctspeedway.co.uk I have corrected it. If anyone wants to reminisce with pictures of Tom and Joe there are dozens of pics on the 1970's pages of www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

One hell of an entertaining rider in his day. Bags of potential which we all failed to see because of his injury which forced him into early retirement. He was such a stylish rider, i just loved the way he used to twist his body on a bike. I would put him in the same rider mould as chris holder and darcy ward. My belief is that he would have reached great heights in speedway but sadly we will now never know how high.:cry:

Edited by bubble

One hell of an entertaining rider in his day. Bags of potential which we all failed to see because of his injury which forced him into early retirement. He was such a stylish rider, i just loved the way he used to twist his body on a bike. I would put him in the same rider mould as chris holder and darcy ward. My belief is that he would have reached great heights in speedway but sadly we will now never know how high.:cry:

If anyone is interested I have got a few matches on DVD featuring Joe Owen...and yes he really is that good!

Please drop me an email to fletcherh1961@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yes.

Rob McCaffery

I went there today, Rob, coming home from a short break in North Wales.

I don't think there is any football played there (if there is the pitch is very rough indeed) but the dog track is in place and there was some practice going on.

Its very run down and looks ripe for development, if truth were told. I doubt you'd get planning permission for speedway as its on the edge of a big housing estate. The M53 motorway is behind the old back straight stand.

I doubt you'd get planning permission for speedway as its on the edge of a big housing estate. The M53 motorway is behind the old back straight stand.

Both were there when it ran speedway but times change.

Thanks for confirming the situation though. Ironically I passed through the town on Saturday but I didn't get the chance to take a look.

I think the football club moved out a long time back. It wasn't running at a very high level. Vauxhall Motors play in Ellesmere Port but at a different ground.

Rob McCaffery.

Edited by rmc

there was many great nl riders,joe owen and jacko were brilliant,but lets not forget steve lawson and martin yeates ,when they turned up at any track you knew they would score double figures.dave perks was another mike ferreira wayne brown all top nl riders.

Edited by burton

there was many great nl riders,joe owen and jacko were brilliant,but lets not forget steve lawson and martin yeates ,when they turned up at any track you knew they would score double figures.dave perks was another mike ferreira wayne brown all top nl riders.

lets not forget lou sansom he was also a top dog,cant remember much about him that was a long time ago.does anyone else remember him?

Tony Mole had 2 applications to reopen Ellesmere Port in 2001 turned down bacaue of the noise and parking issues!

Would make a great venue for National Leaue racing in present times!

For once, I can see why the applications were turned down. It is very close to a large housing estate and car parking is non-existent.

Pity, though, because I agree it would be ideal for NL racing. I can just see someone coming up from Weymouth and seeing a track that must be double the size of theirs (if not more) :D

The Gunners pub is still there, though. When I went there in 1985, it was the best speedway themed pub I have ever seen - sadly all gone now.

lets not forget lou sansom he was also a top dog,cant remember much about him that was a long time ago.does anyone else remember him?

A neat smallish rider with a great style and rode mostly for Workington. Had a great admiration of Ivan and copied his black and white check on the base of his helmet, al la Ivan.

A top rider in the lower league. :approve:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: