British Speedway Forum

Scottish Wc Squad

I nominate Paulco and Midnight Lady as joint managers. :lol:

Seriously, I don't see any harm in Scotland having their own team in the World Cup. Can you imagine if they got through the World Cup preliminary round and got through to ride in the competition proper against England? Would be a great ocassion, nothing like a bit of England/Scotland rivalry.

All the best

Rob

And Perhaps to show their unity ML can wear a James Grieves scarf and Paulco can get Sneddon with the number 1 emblazonned on his Rangers shirt :lol:

Thats me in disguise for Diamonds northern excursions :rolleyes:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Briton it saddens me say that I feel it highly unlikely that Scotland could possibly put together a team of true Scots strong enough to mount a meaningful challenge to any of the nations who presently contest the World Cup.

Sorry Ron but you fail to see the problem - we are SCOTS born and bred - AND PROUD OF IT!

At least you have Team Eng......... sorry TeamGB!

It's time to return for the world stage - one step at a time. Then people up here might sit up and take notice of our beloved sport. Then we might get an NL track where we can bring on young SCOTS which will be to the benefit of speedway as a whole and to Scottish speedway in particular.

PS Ron as seedif said I doubt few of the Hungarians, Croatian, or Italians (no disrespect to them) would beat Tully Grievesy or Oor Wullie round Armadale and / or Ashfield on a regular basis. But until it happens we'll never know.

Time to light the fiery cross - "Oh Flower of Scotland ....... " :approve:

Test matches and the like are bi-lateral arrangements between promoters, so can feature anything and anyone. The rules for FIM events are quite clearly defined, and only FMNs from UN or IOC recognised countries can enter representative teams.

Where there have been composite sides in FIM events in the past, I suspect they're essentially riding as track reserves to make up the numbers.

No discrimination at all. The FIM rules are one national team per FMN, which internationally is the ACU for Scotland.

So does that mean that a team not called Team Uk or Team GB cannot represent the ACU in the UK?

I doubt we'd see Scotland in the SWC but no reason why the team listed couldn't do some challenge test matches - heck I'd love to bring a USA side consisting of Fisher, Wells, Kerr, Werner, Fishback, Ingalls a+nd Gomez to do a 3 matc contest one weekend!

Wonderful idea - Scotland vs the USA. The Americans (minus Hancock) would be the ideal strength for a test series with the Scots, and a great attraction for the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Berwick supporters, too. I am sure the fans would love to see, much more so than any other club challenge matches. It just has to be arranged between the two nations. So, come on Scotland, go for it! The Yankees are waiting to come!

Wonderful idea - Scotland vs the USA. The Americans (minus Hancock) would be the ideal strength for a test series with the Scots, and a great attraction for the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Berwick supporters, too. I am sure the fans would love to see, much more so than any other club challenge matches. It just has to be arranged between the two nations. So, come on Scotland, go for it! The Yankees are waiting to come!

AT LAST a sane and constructive post

As for Sir Jasper's comments as the song said

Do no touch me :lol:

I had a similar discussion about a Scottish team with Snyper once, before he vanished, presumably banned again!

I said I thought it would be a great idea to have a Scottish team as at least there would be a team England could beat comfortably and not be the whipping boys ourselves! :lol:

I doubt we'd see Scotland in the SWC but no reason why the team listed couldn't do some challenge test matches - heck I'd love to bring a USA side consisting of Fisher, Wells, Kerr, Werner, Fishback, Ingalls a+nd Gomez to do a 3 matc contest one weekend!

Speaking as a neutral,(an Englishman who would not actually see the series) it seems like an excellent idea, as someone has already said, minus Hancock, the current crop of American riders should provide an exellent test for a scotland team

Speaking as a neutral,(an Englishman who would not actually see the series) it seems like an excellent idea, as someone has already said, minus Hancock, the current crop of American riders should provide an exellent test for a scotland team

As an Edinburgh fan, who would get to see these matches, I can only say that I would LOVE it.

The earlier suggestion of getting the Germans over would also ensure my attendance at the match.

Scottish speedway doesn't have a mass of talent at the moment, but getting some international matches going would surely help things....

I think it's a wonderful idea . Fixing it in would be easy too , as there are too many Tigers/Monarchs meetings anyway and the Spring Trophy could easily be consigned to the dustbin ( where that hideous trophy deserves to be btw ) .

Would be a great curtain raiser , we could have one test each on both Scottish tracks .

A good speedway match is about two evenly matched teams whether it be Wolves Vs Swindon, Birmingham Vs Rye House, Weymouth Plymouth, etc. As long as the opponents are of a similar level I think Scottish internationals would be a roaring success.

Could not agree more! Might just be the type of kick start that is much needed in Scottish Speedway. I for one would gladly travel north to watch them or anywhere else for that matter :wink:

Great! It seems everyone wants this, so where are the people to make it happen????? Hello out there .... :unsure:

Forgive me but I have been out of the country for a few weeks and I have just been told about this thread regarding

Scotland on the Forum.

It's true that in the past, Scotland was represented at FIM World Best Pairs and World Team Cup events and were not disgraced. In fact, Jim McMillan & myself qualified from Belle Vue to the World Best Pairs Final in Sweden and Scots such as the late, great, George Hunter, Brian Collins, Bobby Beaton, etc., always put on a good show against international opposition.

The reason I have been given for Scotland no longer being recognized by the FIM is that we do not have an FIM-homologated track north of the border, so we have to be part of Great Britain in official World events.

Scotland were, as mentioned earlier, moved aside in the FIM events to make way for the USA and now our riders can only ride for 'Team GB' (why not call the team, 'England') so the standard is much higher than we have in Scotland at the moment. However, although we are not up to true 'World' standard these days, Scotland could be very competitive against teams such as Germany or USA (without Greg of course!) and it would give the young riders of all of the teams some very valuable International experience.

We did have a short Test series against England Under-21 a few years ago, and I thought it had been a great success but unfortunately, it was not continued in the following seasons. We just have to convince promoters that putting on a fixture with a 'Scotland' team would pull in the crowds.

I am sure that with riders such as James Grieves, William Lawson, Andrew Tully, Derek Sneddon, Adam McKinna and Sean Stoddart, with Gary Beaton, Cal McDade, James McBain and Kieren Morris in the wings, we could be a crowd-puller in Tests vs. Germany or USA and don't forget that MANY years ago, we had a "Haggis-Bashers" Scottish team which raced against Wimbledon and wore kilts over their leathers for the parade. Yes, the Scots are a colourful bunch and once you buckle on a St. Andrew's Cross body colour on a Scot,.......Watch out for fireworks!

In the past, Scots were always very popular when racing in Germany, so perhaps we will be able to meet 'Bavarian' and his fellow countrymen with our "New Scots" this season.

Bert Harkins

The reason I have been given for Scotland no longer being recognized by the FIM is that we do not have an FIM-homologated track north of the border, so we have to be part of Great Britain in official World events.

Bert Harkins

Bert

What are the standards (of track) that need to be met for an FIM event?

I hope that Edinburgh consider this aspect if/and/or/when they build their new track. There is also talk of a training track as part of the set up, ready to kick start more Scottish talent? Who knows. Hopefully it's not just talk, where there's hope.

Sorry Ron but you fail to see the problem - we are SCOTS born and bred - AND PROUD OF IT!

At least you have Team Eng......... sorry TeamGB!It's time to return for the world stage - one step at a time. Then people up here might sit up and take notice of our beloved sport. Then we might get an NL track where we can bring on young SCOTS which will be to the benefit of speedway as a whole and to Scottish speedway in particular.

PS Ron as seedif said I doubt few of the Hungarians, Croatian, or Italians (no disrespect to them) would beat Tully Grievesy or Oor Wullie round Armadale and / or Ashfield on a regular basis. But until it happens we'll never know.

Time to light the fiery cross - "Oh Flower of Scotland ....... " :approve:

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to be proud to be English anymore, and have these team GB rules enforced upon us. I don't think we get as much as you do out of being team GB, as all of the riders seem to be English, unless I'm mistaken, therefore, it would be most welcome if they decided to create a team Scotland, and give us English our team back. It would only give us another sport to beat you at.