British Speedway Forum

Scottish Wc Squad

Reading through the "predictions" thread it went "off-topic" to football and Scotland and a question arose... Could Scotland have a team in the "speedway" world-cup. Who would be in the team and how far could they go.?

Just a winter poser. (I kept it in the premier section because im sure all the team would come from that league)..

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake Anderson (Grand-father Scottish)

Based on that we could have many riders. I'll start with Craig Watson, Robert Ksiesak and Joel Parsons. I swear a disproportionate number of Aussies have Scottish grand parents. I guess they are all related to criminals in Aus, so......

Based on that we could have many riders. I'll start with Craig Watson, Robert Ksiesak and Joel Parsons. I swear a disproportionate number of Aussies have Scottish grand parents. I guess they are all related to criminals in Aus, so......

Looks like Scotland would have very good team then.

James Grieves

William Lawson

Andy Tully

Derek Sneddon

Adam McKinna

It is possible.

How far? Not very. :neutral:

With JDC as TM, that 5 would take some stopping.

Derek Sneddon is long overdue the call to represent Team GB and if the Peter Oakes speedway almanac is consulted you'll see Adam McKinna destroyed more TRs than any other rider at PL level last season.

Edited by rockthedazbah

only the one's that got caught

James Grieves

William Lawson

Andy Tully

Derek Sneddon

Adam McKinna

Greg Blair

Gary Beaton

It is possible.

How far? Not very. :neutral:

That team would struggle against most PL sides,let alone picking any 5 for the world cup!

Reading through the "predictions" thread it went "off-topic" to football and Scotland and a question arose... Could Scotland have a team in the "speedway" world-cup. Who would be in the team and how far could they go.?

Just a winter poser. (I kept it in the premier section because im sure all the team would come from that league)..

Didn't think that you would stoop so low Shaun just shows how you've changed since moving from Wales. :wink:

This bugs me - as far as I am aware and from what Jimmy Tannock has told me what has happened in the past there seems to be 2 reasons

1. Scotland were moved aside to make way from team USA as they emerged to prominance for the Worls events - remember Jimmy Mac and the late Greorge Hunter gave the big boys a severe bloody nose in the World Pairs at Belle Vue (?) in the late 60's early 70's when the took some big scalps that evening.

2. From what I have gleaned the ACU insisits that all Scottish Speedway Riders take a British ACU licence to race in this Unitd Kingdom of NATIONS so FIM only recognise Speedway TEAM GB. HOWEVER, I understand that yhis does not apply to other motorcyclists who can race for Scotland under using a Scottish ACU licence in FIM events.

Once again I state that IF THIS IS TRUE then there is blatant discrimination against Scottish speedway riders and this gets in the way of developing the sport in Scotland. What young sportsman or women does not aspire to represent his country on the world stage, and I do include young English Welsh, guys as well.

Rant over - it's time to light the fiery crosses.

ALBA / Scotia / Caledonia - as Arnie We'll be back!

Edited by BTL

Is Scottish Speedway represented by the Scottish ACU?

Does Scotland have a national team manager?

Would Scotland be interested to engage in international test matches?

If so, can someone please put me into contact with their manager, because Team Germany are seeking international opposition for some test matches this year. They will probably meet Italy early in the season, but with Edinburgh having a couple of German riders (Wolbert and Dilger) it'd be a great opportunity to bring the rest of the German team over for a couple of internationals at Armadale and Glasgow over one weekend (perhaps even at Berwick, too).

Given that joint Slovenian/Croatian teams and numerous scratch teams have participated in World Cup events I see no reason why not being directly affiliated to the FIM should prevent Scotland from entering the World Cup

Is Scottish Speedway represented by the Scottish ACU?

Would Scotland be interested to engage in international test matches?

If so, can someone please put me into contact with their manager, because Team Germany are seeking international opposition for some test matches this year. They will probably meet Italy early in the season, but with Edinburgh having a couple of German riders (Wolbert and Dilger) it'd be a great opportunity to bring the rest of the German team over for a couple of internationals at Armadale and Glasgow over one weekend (perhaps even at Berwick, too).

That sounds an excellent idea, Bavarian. The last time Scotland had a full international was 1998 and 1999 if I remember right. They took on the England U21's in a couple of Test series. Bert Harkins was very much at the forefront of organising it I believe and maybe he would be a good first point of contact. I am sure someone on here could put you in touch.

Scotland comes under the whole ACU umberella as part of the UK, but that hasnt stopped them taking part in internationals as a seperate nation in the past. Unofficial representative meetings should'nt be a problem, I would imagine and even if that failed what about tour anyway, taking on Edinburgh, Berwick and Glasgow over a weekend :unsure:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

If there is anybody interested and responsible for the Scottisch National Team, he may simply get in touch with the German team manager Rene Schafer via the German Speedway Team website, link here: http://www.speedway-germany.com/_kontakt.htm

I know that Schafer is trying to find international Test match opposition for the German team, so why not grab this opportunity with both hands and use it revive the Scotland team. As I already said, with two Germans riding for the Monarchs this year, it's the perfect situation and makes it all so much easier. And believe me, there are some talented German youngsters waiting for the chance to ride in Britian. Potential new assets for the Scottish clubs, maybe?

As a Briton it saddens me say that I feel it highly unlikely that Scotland could possibly put together a team of true Scots strong enough to mount a meaningful challenge to any of the nations who presently contest the World Cup.

Scotland comes under the whole ACU umberella as part of the UK, but that hasnt stopped them taking part in internationals as a seperate nation in the past.

Test matches and the like are bi-lateral arrangements between promoters, so can feature anything and anyone. The rules for FIM events are quite clearly defined, and only FMNs from UN or IOC recognised countries can enter representative teams.

Where there have been composite sides in FIM events in the past, I suspect they're essentially riding as track reserves to make up the numbers.

Once again I state that IF THIS IS TRUE then there is blatant discrimination against Scottish speedway riders and this gets in the way of developing the sport in Scotland.

No discrimination at all. The FIM rules are one national team per FMN, which internationally is the ACU for Scotland.

As a Briton it saddens me say that I feel it highly unlikely that Scotland could possibly put together a team of true Scots strong enough to mount a meaningful challenge to any of the nations who presently contest the World Cup.

Don't know about that fella ...not saying they would be up there with the big guys but right place right time I would see us giving the Finns, Hungary or Croatia or teams like that a go.

Don't know about that fella ...not saying they would be up there with the big guys but right place right time I would see us giving the Finns, Hungary or Croatia or teams like that a go.

I think i know exactly where your coming from on this one how many Hungarians would beat Grieves in a qualifier at Ashfield or would you expect to see a Croat beating Lawson at Armadale.

Even if a Scottish Team could be put together for a couple of test meetings against maybe England or even Wales they would be moneyspinners i think. :approve:

I nominate Paulco and Midnight Lady as joint managers. :lol:

Seriously, I don't see any harm in Scotland having their own team in the World Cup. Can you imagine if they got through the World Cup preliminary round and got through to ride in the competition proper against England? Would be a great ocassion, nothing like a bit of England/Scotland rivalry.

All the best

Rob