British Speedway Forum

My only problem with Craig Saul is do we have to listen to all the same information EVERY time a rider appears during the meeting. :wink:

At least you can see Craig puts some effort into it ... The rest of the "presentation" I can imagine has changed very little since the early 70's. To be honest it's rather embarrassing.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

havent had time to post on here so here goes

enjoyed my day out and was a good turn out for the cause. im sure alot of money was raised :approve:

the meeting.. i know im obviously a Sheffield fan but the racing was not even in the same league as last year. len silver really needs to sort that track out. i heard loads of people complaining about it throughout the day.

i hope they choose a racing track next year such as brum, peterborough or swindon? because i think its a waste getting the best riders in the world to come and have to watch them on a track such as rye, people of course want to put their money into the ben fund but i'm sure they would also like to be entertained if they travel so far.

i will certainly not be going to rye house when the tigers visit, cant stand the place

i hope they choose a racing track next year such as brum, peterborough or swindon? because i think its a waste getting the best riders in the world to come and have to watch them on a track such as rye

Got to agree with that ! :approve:

QUOTE (YorkshirePudding @ Mar 17 2010, 09:40 AM) *

i hope they choose a racing track next year such as brum, peterborough or swindon? because i think its a waste getting the best riders in the world to come and have to watch them on a track such as rye

Got to agree with that ! :approve:

Can we please have it a little further north next year - just to be fair.

Pretty Pllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

QUOTE (YorkshirePudding @ Mar 17 2010, 09:40 AM) *

Can we please have it a little further north next year - just to be fair.

Pretty Pllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

How far north do you want it-it was at Sheffield last year. Is that not far enough north?

Would have been good to have had it at Ipswich,then no home track advantage to any rider. It would have been a bigger crowd and not all that conjestion.

How far north do you want it-it was at Sheffield last year. Is that not far enough north?

Would have been good to have had it at Ipswich,then no home track advantage to any rider. It would have been a bigger crowd and not all that conjestion.

Sheffield's not that north but it was, in my opinion, easier for ALL fans to attend without it taking all day to drive there.

I read the usual RYE track knockers are out in force again. Last Sunday was luckily the best days weather of the year so far.

So did you not here Len publicly thank the track staff for a superb effort over a number of days to even get the meeting on.

Yes, heat one was an unacceptable dust cloud, but after that - regular watering and grading settled the track down.

Im sorry, but many of the Elite field had never riden Rye, so first visit and so early in the season - they were never going to take unnecessary chances to over-take. Case in point was Wuffy - who knows Rye backwards, but seemed to settle into whatever position he found himself after the first turns.

First meeting of the season, tremendous turnout by fans and riders, for a terrific cause - lets please focus on that.

I read the usual RYE track knockers are out in force again. Last Sunday was luckily the best days weather of the year so far.

So did you not here Len publicly thank the track staff for a superb effort over a number of days to even get the meeting on.

Yes, heat one was an unacceptable dust cloud, but after that - regular watering and grading settled the track down.

Im sorry, but many of the Elite field had never riden Rye, so first visit and so early in the season - they were never going to take unnecessary chances to over-take. Case in point was Wuffy - who knows Rye backwards, but seemed to settle into whatever position he found himself after the first turns.

First meeting of the season, tremendous turnout by fans and riders, for a terrific cause - lets please focus on that.

So, the weather being nice, the track getting watered regularly and the fact that it was a good cause, was enough for you? The main reason we all went was to support a great cause, but, am I the only one who wanted to see some exciting racing too? I think a lot of people are frightened to criticise the meeting because of peer pressure. It was, IMO, easily one of the worst meetings I have ever attended, so much so, that I doubt very much whether I will ever attend an individual event again, barring Cardiff of course, but that is a different experience altogether. No wonder the promoters in this country don't listen to the fans. Why would they, when most display this pathetic, arse licking attitude.

So, the weather being nice, the track getting watered regularly and the fact that it was a good cause, was enough for you? The main reason we all went was to support a great cause, but, am I the only one who wanted to see some exciting racing too? I think a lot of people are frightened to criticise the meeting because of peer pressure. It was, IMO, easily one of the worst meetings I have ever attended, so much so, that I doubt very much whether I will ever attend an individual event again, barring Cardiff of course, but that is a different experience altogether. No wonder the promoters in this country don't listen to the fans. Why would they, when most display this pathetic, arse licking attitude.

I dont resort to personal abuse, and Im certainly no "arse-licker". The point about the nice weather on Sunday, was supposed to illustrate how awful this winter's weather and build-up to the meeting was. Of course I've seen better racing at Rye and obviously elsewhere - but taken in the context of the first meeting of the season for the track staff and all riders in attendance - this meeting was never going to be fantastic, but was an acceptable opener none-the-less.

Just out of interest i know the riders give their time for free,but what about Rye House? Does len silver just cover overheads so the track prep would have been kept to a minium.How does it work?Maybe len didnt take a penny so all the flak he is getting may be a bit out of order.Also just out of interest did NP PICK UP ANY TROPHY for winning or was it just a morale boosting thing to whoever won the meeting?

Edited by speedy den boy

I have to say I find it awkward to criticise Len bearing in mind what he has contributed to the sport over the numerous years he has been involved and, I think, this is partly the problem. If a new promoter turned up and presented the type of racing surface or presentation we have witnessed during the past year or so, not just Sunday, fans would have voted with their feet. As for Bryn being dropped in it as announcer, it is unlikely it would have been a great deal better if he had known in advance. Bryn is a great bloke, another loyal supporter of the sport for years, but his presenting skills are about as good as mine, (although better than the excrutiating Bryan Knights who announces at Foxhole lol!)

As for the racing surface is the problem the fact that it is laid upon what was the old stock car track, ie., concrete/tarmac. If it is, by putting down plenty of 'dirt' might make the situation worse and dangerous creating patches when unexpected grip could launch riders straight through the safety fence. I do not know as I wasn't a visitor in the early days but, perhaps, more diehard supporters could clarify.

here is a couple of vids (sorry bout the shakiness my hands were cold)

http://www.youtube.com/user/seahorse48?feature=mhw4

http://www.youtube.com/user/seahorse48?fea...u/1/2oMWT5Fw23s

I would put some pics on but took over 400

Thanks for the videos. Try signing up to http://www.webshots.com put you album there then post the link.

stoke is a better track than rye house, sorry. you see passing oh.. AND THE RIDERS!

they dont call it dry house for nothing :wink::lol:

"they" being you presumably?

There's been many posts here pointing out what this meeting was really about so I won't go any further into that because the knockers don't care what you say they'll still moan because they don't have anything to do with their time than complain about our track, this is genrally from fans of less succesful teams recently than rye, maybe they are jealous?

I do agree however, Craig apart the presentation of our meetings isn't up to scratch. Even a slight variety of music would be nice as opposed to the now cd that we get each week.

I have to say I find it awkward to criticise Len bearing in mind what he has contributed to the sport over the numerous years he has been involved and, I think, this is partly the problem.

Ok I will start by saying that I am a Wimbledon supporter and still live in hope that one day Speedway will return there.

Since 2005 I have been going to Rye House and have hardly missed a home meeting I have seen some great racing, meet some great people and made some good friends.

I was at the Ben Fund and was bloody cold, bored with all the waiting and watched a ok meeting.

Whilst I have the greatest respect for everything Len has done for speedway and his continued promotion it appears that he takes all supporters for granted.

The simple facts are that unless he starts moving with the times and begins to change things then he will try closing the doors long after the supporters have started walking.

Despite what the press are saying it is still a tough world at the moment and if you want people to spend money then you have to give top quality entertainment, not just in the racing but in every aspect of a good night out.

Just my views – off for a lie down now. :lol: