British Speedway Forum

£15.00 well worth it just to see Nicki smoke the ginger one a couple of times.

KK, Niels and Jonno! Impressed. Tai, Shields and Barker didn't.

Highlight of the day probably saying hello to Zonkers and meeting KevH.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived at 12 noon and parked pretty close to the stadium and went on inside. Found a place to park our backsides on 1st bend without a problem. But the stadium soon filled up - wonderful support.

Time went pretty quick as it was great meeting up with people for the first time this season.

Heat 1 was absolutely terrible. It was like a Car rally in a dust bowl!!! And to be honest we didnt see Nicki P go over the fence. It was all a pile of dust!

But water was brought out immediately and I wont be as negative as the previous posters.

Not much passing except a couple of sweeps by Crump around the outside and a fantastic last bend and pass of Scott's to beat Neils.

We enjoyed our day out. Good meeting for a great cause.

Have to agree with some comments on here, yes there was completely no atmosphere there at all which was abit rubbish but overall (please note first visit to Rye House) the track was poor and so was the racing, but credit has to be given to the track staff for getting it all ready in the first place, so overall bit disapponited but glad I went to support the fund.

Funny how we all see things differently. All things considered I quite enjoyed the afternnon out.

Its always nice to go to a meeting where there are fans from all over the place and it was nice to strike up conversations with lots of different people.

I didn't think the track was all that bad except for excessive dust in the first race. Racing-wise it was not the greatest meeting ever but it was far from being the worst, in fact it was better value for money than last seasons GP Challenge at Coventry IMO. Nils, and Fred, in particular were involved in a number of decent races, Scott had an exciting last bend victory and it was interesting to see how well Chris Neath went against some of the big guns. The only disappointment, if you could call it that was that as the meeting went on Nikki was becoming more and more invincible and nobody could get near him, but thats speedway.

Obviously the weather meant that the track needed a lot of attention but quite a number of the races were called on very quickly only to be put on two minutes because riders weren't ready.

The only thing I would say is that after all these years as promoter Len is still pretty clueless when it comes to putting on a show. The PA seemed a bit weak and the music was almost inaudible, and its details like these that add to the entertainment.

But still for me no serious complaints overall and glad I went.

True enough it wasn't the best of meetings & with the dust in heat 1 i thought good god here we go.

Thankfully the dust at least was controlled.

Nice to see some racing at last & a pleasure to say hello to Zonkers & get uncle len's book signed.

Many layers of clothing we're consigned for the cold today yet they weren't required, hoorah.

Getting the coach over the bridge was......................... interesting. :lol:

All in a good cause & well done to everyone, nice to hear Garry Stead say a few words. :approve:

One other thing, a shame Nigel "British speedway" Pearson couldn't have done the announcing. Craig Saul was great as ever but the other guy just didn't have anything about him, didn't do anything particularly wrong but was just a tad dull IMO.

not being negative but why were the rules changed for the top 2 qualifers.why not award 2nd spot to the fastest heat winner from crumpie or kristof.also why did they have a coin toss between neath and johnston.didnt steve have a race win.petty i know but speedway as we know does seem to make it up as we go along.i was trying to convince a non fan to attend the other night but what with guests. having to get rid of riders because of averages etc etc he thought it was a bit mickey mouse.sorry for the rant but i did feel here we go again its speedway.

One other thing, a shame Nigel "British speedway" Pearson couldn't have done the announcing. Craig Saul was great as ever but the other guy just didn't have anything about him, didn't do anything particularly wrong but was just a tad dull IMO.

I agree.

Someone earlier said - no atmosphere.

Thats because there was no one getting the crowd going.

not being negative but why were the rules changed for the top 2 qualifers.why not award 2nd spot to the fastest heat winner from crumpie or kristof.also why did they have a coin toss between neath and johnston.didnt steve have a race win.petty i know but speedway as we know does seem to make it up as we go along.i was trying to convince a non fan to attend the other night but what with guests. having to get rid of riders because of averages etc etc he thought it was a bit mickey mouse.sorry for the rant but i did feel here we go again its speedway.

Is that a rule! Fastest time goes through?? What are the rules relating to a 20 man meeting where they dont all meet.

I called the 'all three to final' as I felt it was the fairest thing to do.

Not sure about the coin toss though! It would have been much more entertaining taking into account the two characters to have done something like an egg and spoon race to find the 4th semi finalist!!!

Not really any rules here - but some agreement between the riders. Well done to them.

Whats wrong with the way they did it ? Krystoff and Jason finished as joint second highest scorers on equal points, each had three wins and a second, they didn't race each other, and each had only been beaten by Nikki. I thought it was fine doing it the way they did it. Not Mickey Mouse at all. Quite right that both should be seeded into the final rather than to have to race a semi against riders who had scored less points.

Whats wrong with the way they did it ? Krystoff and Jason finished as joint second highest scorers on equal points, each had three wins and a second, they didn't race each other, and each had only been beaten by Nikki. I thought it was fine doing it the way they did it. Not Mickey Mouse at all. Quite right that both should be seeded into the final rather than to have to race a semi against riders who had scored less points.

It's bleedin NICKI!!!! (not Nikki)

Mr Pedant.

"The other guy" you refer to was me 'Blazeaway' - sorry don't know exactly who you are - and I went along today to watch, paid my admission bought a programme, began to wish I'd worn a heavier coat and jumper pretty quickly was then asked circa 90 minutes before the start time if I wouldn't mind doing the box as Craig was going to go on the radio mic rather than be up there. Sorry if I was a "tad dull" but having only had five hours kip last night, having done no preparation as I just didn't expect to be doing anything other than watching and enjoying the meeting, I can only apologise for my dullness!

Just glad to see such a big turn out for a very worthy cause for which, hopefully, much money was raised.

Bryn Williams

P.S. being even more pedantic it's bleeding NOT bleedin! :wink:

Edited by Bryn

"The other guy" you refer to was me 'Blazeaway' - sorry don't know exactly who you are - and I went along today to watch, paid my admission bought a programme, began to wish I'd worn a heavier coat and jumper pretty quickly was then asked circa 90 minutes before the start time if I wouldn't mind doing the box as Craig was going to go on the radio mic rather than be up there. Sorry if I was a "tad dull" but having only had five hours kip last night, having done no preparation as I just didn't expect to be doing anything other than watching and enjoying the meeting, I can only apolgise for my dullness!

Just glad to see such a big turn out for a very worthy cause for which, hopefully, much money was raised.

Bryn Williams

Like I said you did nothing particularly wrong and fairplay for stepping in at short notice.

Reading most posts it seems my original post was right why was it held at the worst prepared and worst racing track in the country.

nobody said it is the worst prepared or worst racing track, you shouldn't make things up as you go along. The point of the meeting wasn't about the racing or the riders who were riding today, it was about the sport and the men who have and do risk life and limb for our entertainment. Still some people aren't happy unless they are putting down others efforts and spouting s*** are they?

nobody said it is the worst prepared or worst racing track, you shouldn't make things up as you go along. The point of the meeting wasn't about the racing or the riders who were riding today, it was about the sport and the men who have and do risk life and limb for our entertainment. Still some people aren't happy unless they are putting down others efforts and spouting s*** are they?

Well said Ben...

Personally, I've seen far worse meetings than what was on show today... Yes, the track was crap but there were two or three races with good passes in them.... The whole thing that made today special was seeing how well this meeting was supported and also the men that have paid the ultimate injury within the sport and still wanting to be involved.... It was about those men for me :approve:

The point of the meeting wasn't about the racing or the riders who were riding today, it was about the sport and the men who have and do risk life and limb for our entertainment. Still some people aren't happy unless they are putting down others efforts and spouting s*** are they?

Well said Ben. The racing was exactly what I expected, no more, no less. It was a good season opener, a chance to see a few riders who don't ride over here, a chance for the riders to get a few laps in before the nitty gritty of the season begins and most importantly a load of money for the Ben Fund. Some people are so hard to please.

Riders risk life and limb for money otherwise most would not do it :rolleyes:

I know people say speedway riders have a few screws loose to do what they do but nobody would pick speedway as a profession for a certain income, the first time any rider puts his leg over the bike it's for love of the sport and that's exactly what the20 men riding today were doing.

I know people say speedway riders have a few screws loose to do what they do but nobody would pick speedway as a profession for a certain income, the first time any rider puts his leg over the bike it's for love of the sport and that's exactly what the20 men riding today were doing.

Correct they do it for themselfs not for are entertainment ...