British Speedway Forum

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I will start by saying that I am a Wimbledon supporter and still live in hope that one day Speedway will return there.

Since 2005 I have been going to Rye House and have hardly missed a home meeting I have seen some great racing, meet some great people and made some good friends.

I was at the Ben Fund and was bloody cold, bored with all the waiting and watched a ok meeting.

Whilst I have the greatest respect for everything Len has done for speedway and his continued promotion it appears that he takes all supporters for granted.

The simple facts are that unless he starts moving with the times and begins to change things then he will try closing the doors long after the supporters have started walking.

Despite what the press are saying it is still a tough world at the moment and if you want people to spend money then you have to give top quality entertainment, not just in the racing but in every aspect of a good night out.

Just my views – off for a lie down now. :lol:

Some fair comments, there BossMan.

What I was trying to get across in previous posts: very harsh to judge and criticise Rye on one/first meeting - given prior weather difficulties and mind-set of riders so early in season.

I agree Len is stuck in his ways in-terms of presentation, and also frustrates the hell out of regulars with his policy of not watering the track an hour or so before heat one. That said, what he and his team have done in transforming the stadium into a very comfortable place to watch speedway - is nothing short of marvellous (Dont forget it is now FIM approved). Some of the speedway stadiums around the country are stuck in a time-warp and not plesent places to watch speedway at all.

As for the track, we all have our own teams - so will defend the home racing to the point of tinted glasses. Everybody knows Rye is a tight packed-down track, which doesnt lend itself to loads of dirt. However, home supporters have still been treated to some excellent racing over recent years, including some outstanding riders capable of entertaining overtaking manoevres. That said, you will of course get some rubbish meetings at all tracks (even Somerset and Scunthorpe which many rightly include

as good tracks for racing) and unfortunately we endured many last season at Rye.

In conclusion, the setup at Rye has many things much better than most other PL teams - the stadium and facilities, good safety-fence record, and a consistent track surface - not prepared to just suite home riders. There are aspects of other clubs that are definately better than Rye....yes that does include length, shape and track surface. But we all support our own teams and enjoy seeing different types of racing around the country, so I dont think a track can be judged on one meeting alone.

Rant over....now looking forward to the proper business of Premier matches !!

Some fair comments, there BossMan.

What I was trying to get across in previous posts: very harsh to judge and criticise Rye on one/first meeting - given prior weather difficulties and mind-set of riders so early in season.

I agree Len is stuck in his ways in-terms of presentation, and also frustrates the hell out of regulars with his policy of not watering the track an hour or so before heat one. That said, what he and his team have done in transforming the stadium into a very comfortable place to watch speedway - is nothing short of marvellous (Dont forget it is now FIM approved). Some of the speedway stadiums around the country are stuck in a time-warp and not plesent places to watch speedway at all.

As for the track, we all have our own teams - so will defend the home racing to the point of tinted glasses. Everybody knows Rye is a tight packed-down track, which doesnt lend itself to loads of dirt. However, home supporters have still been treated to some excellent racing over recent years, including some outstanding riders capable of entertaining overtaking manoevres. That said, you will of course get some rubbish meetings at all tracks (even Somerset and Scunthorpe which many rightly include

as good tracks for racing) and unfortunately we endured many last season at Rye.

In conclusion, the setup at Rye has many things much better than most other PL teams - the stadium and facilities, good safety-fence record, and a consistent track surface - not prepared to just suite home riders. There are aspects of other clubs that are definately better than Rye....yes that does include length, shape and track surface. But we all support our own teams and enjoy seeing different types of racing around the country, so I dont think a track can be judged on one meeting alone.

Rant over....now looking forward to the proper business of Premier matches !!

a very fair post. what i want as a neutral rye regular is just a little more dirt and a bit more water prior to the start of meetings. :wink:

"Len Silver did a great job with the track - he gave us a slick track on the first day of the season, which was important. There was some good racing"

Jason Crump in todays Spar.

But what does Crumpie know compared to some of the, er..., "experts" on here? :rolleyes::lol:

All the best

Rob

I'm not an expert, but I know when I've been entertained or not. Isn't that what it's all about? If Crump et al want to get some early experience of slick tracks, do it at another venue in private, not at a meeting where 4000 people have paid to be entertained. Yet another suck up merchant.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, the dvd of the event is now ready.

2.30 hours long, loads of ints, all the action plus what did Nicki say when he returned to the pits, we have exclusive footage without any beeps!!!

Just £15 and all the proceeds are going direct to the fund.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, the dvd of the event is now ready.

2.30 hours long, loads of ints, all the action plus what did Nicki say when he returned to the pits, we have exclusive footage without any beeps!!!

Just £15 and all the proceeds are going direct to the fund.

Great. I'll purchase/order tomorrow.

it was stupid of the BSPA to even consider having a meeting like the ben fund at what is the worst track in british speedway.

entertainment = 0

A little unfair considering tonight's meeting at Workington.

Workington vs Redcar

Check the comments ... I counted TWO passes in 15 heats!!