British Speedway Forum

Rip Keith Farman

speedyguy

Renowned speedway researcher Keith Farman, best known for his work on behalf of Yarmouth and the sport in East Anglia, died yesterday (Friday December 4 2009) at 3am. Condolences to his family. He will be missed not only by his family but many who only knew him through speedway. Keith's funeral has been arranged for 12.40pm Thursday December 17 at Gorleston Crematorium.

Edited by speedyguy

Renowned speedway researcher Keith Farman, best known for his work on behalf of Yarmouth and the sport in East Anglia, died yesterday (Friday December 4 2009) at 3pm. Condolences to his family. He will be missed not only by his family but many who only knew him through speedway. Keith's funeral has been arranged for 12.40pm Thursday December 17 at Gorleston Crematorium.

Oh dear...that is so very sad..he was indeed a great authority on all things from the home of the Bloaters. also an extremely well read and articulate man. My personal condolances to the family.

Besides his great knowledge of Yarmouth, Keith Farnam was also an expert on the early 1930s largely unlicenced grass-speedway tracks of East Anglia. The competitors included 'Johnny Bull' and Wimbledon's Fred Leavis (or was that the same person, Fred under an alias?) and also the 'mystery man' Alvin 'Spike' Rhiando who, some suspect, was the unknown American rider AJ Franchetti who turned up at Stamford Bridge in 1932.

Edited by speedyguy

• 2 weeks later...

I have only just become aware of this thread and the sad contents.

Whilst I did not know Keith personally I am sure I must have met him and I have read some of his very nostalgic material about speedway racing in Great Yarmouth. Living in the same Borough as Keith I am sure we shared a joint wish for the return of the sport to the Caister Road Stadium where I am certain it would be a success at third tier level.

I would like to express my sincere condolences to Keith's Family and Friends.

Malcolm Vasey

Do you think there is any chance of Caister Road reopening-if it did I'd come over from Canada just to go there.

Tony Mole investigated the possibility a few years ago whilst improvements were being carried out but nothing came of that.

I feel that the best bet would be for a "Weymouth" style development using land which I understand is behind the Stadium but I have not heard that being mentioned as a possibility. A few years ago it was suggested that a track could be built as part of the racecourse complex but that seemed to just peter out but often people that I meet in the town ask me about the idea of a team at Yarmouth.

Are you from Great Yarmouth?

Malcolm Vasey

Nice thoughts Malcolm.

My first ever meeting was at Caister road..and everytime I go Horse racing nearby I always have a quick look at that lovely stadium

There is indeed land at the rear..but the sheer use of the stadium for Dogs/Stockies, would I feel make it virtually impossible to have a race night. i believe in fact only fridays remain as a "quiet" night.

keith was a sad loss..lovely bloke.

Regards

James

In the summer, greyhounds are on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, while stocks are Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. That does leave Friday clear - how could a speedway be laid inside the two oval tracks. Nice if it could be.

Is there really a stadium that stages stock cars three nights per week? I'm amazed that people would turn out so regularly to watch such nonsense.

Is there really a stadium that stages stock cars three nights per week? I'm amazed that people would turn out so regularly to watch such nonsense.

This been a regular feature to my knowledge for AT LEAST 10 years in the summer months - probably much longer than that. In the winter, there's occasional Sunday meetings.

Edited by speedyguy

Yes the slapstick of motor sport.

It would be so good if speedway could return to Great Yarmouth.

Malcolm Vasey

Have you ever seen the ultra-expensive non-contact National Hot Rods (very similar to big circuit saloon cars) or the equally expensive Brisca F1 in action?

Have you ever seen the ultra-expensive non-contact National Hot Rods (very similar to big circuit saloon cars) or the equally expensive Brisca F1 in action?

No I have never been to any kind of stock car meeting whatsoever but have seen it on TV. I don't care for Formula 1 or Formula anything else either. And I did peep in once at Buxton when I was there for speedway and they had cars with what looked like metal sails attached but I could not watch it.

Each to his own but it has no appeal to me.

I am happy to discuss this further but not on this thread which is meant as a Tribute to the late Mr Farman.

Malcolm Vasey

No I have never been to any kind of stock car meeting whatsoever but have seen it on TV. I don't care for Formula 1 or Formula anything else either. And I did peep in once at Buxton when I was there for speedway and they had cars with what looked like metal sails attached but I could not watch it.

Each to his own but it has no appeal to me.

I am happy to discuss this further but not on this thread which is meant as a Tribute to the late Mr Farman.

Malcolm Vasey

Yes Keith Farnam is the main subject. But I went through all this stock car stuff a couple of years ago. Not really interested in another debate.

I just wondered if you had ever been to a meeting.

Getting Yarmouth speedway back would be a fitting tribute to Keith Farman.

Edited by speedyguy

Just staying on the subject of Yarmouth for a moment, back in the early nineties when Rye House was struggling for survival I did get the feeling that Great Yarmouth Rockets was a possible alternative.

Obviously I can't speak for Ron Russell (well not since 1993) but he of course has strong connections with Norfolk.

Rob McCaffery.

Great Yarmouth Rockets!

What a ridiculous name!

Keith wouldn't of had that nor would any other sane long term speedway fan!

Nearly as bad as daddys boy, big mouth, little action Chapman suggesting if he'd of been reopening Birmingham speedway (which in reality he would never do cause he wouldn't be capable unless his old man was pulling the strings!) he would of called them something other than the Brummies which is the original, traditional nickname of Birminghams speedway team which has a link to the area!

Yes speedway reopening at Great Yarmouth would be a fitting tribute to the late, great Keith Farman but they'd have to be called the Bloaters!

Like Malcom said, 3rd tier racing at Great Yarmouth, particularly during the late May to the end of August summer period would be viable!

Great Yarmouth Rockets!

What a ridiculous name!

Please calm down and let me explain.

It would have had as much logic as Rayleigh Rockets becoming Rye House Rockets in 1974, or Crayford Kestrels becoming Hackney Kestrels, or Weymouth Wildcats becoming Poole Wildcats, etc. etc. - it would have been the transfer of a team, not some ridiculous attempt to offend.

As I stated it was only a suspicion of a possibility not a developed plan.

I posted just to show that Yarmouth hasn't been ignored over the years.

Rob McCaffery.

I'm calm apart from when I see boy Chapmans smug ignorant face in the speedway star as part of the BSPA committee who are supposed to be guiding our sport in the right direction!

It wouldn't of had the same logic as the Rayleigh-Rye House and Crayford-Hackney switches cause those venues wern't to far apart and some fans would of switched over but Rye House is a long way from Yarmouth!

Though I'm sure it was probably one of the many unfounded rumours about track openings that go round all the while.

I know Ronnie Russell looked at Swaffham raceway a while back but that'd never be a goer being to close to King's Lynn in a low populated, low income area.

I laughed when Laurence Rogers was going round TALKING (unfortunately nothing else!) about reopening at Caister Road by building a speedway track inside the stock car track - had he even been to the stadium? - no room for such a move!

I like Malcolm Vasey and indeed Keith Farman when he was alive think that Yarmouth could support a speedway team though I did disagree with Keith cause he wanted to see the Bloaters in the Premier League which I didn't think would be viable!

I've had my fingers crossed for a double Norfolk speedway reopening at Norwich and Great Yarmouth since both closed just like Keith did!!

Edited by 25yearfan