British Speedway Forum

2010 Grand Prix wildcards

A long time ago, an old girlfriend of mine had a single released, and it charted at number 76, with the official sales figures that got it there approximately 160. The same week, a song called " Frankie", I think, by Sister Sledge, reached number one, with the number of sales at around the 4000 mark. Of course they don't monitor every sale, just as they don't with the viewing population.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read in SS that over 250,000 watched the Cardiff Grand Prix on Sky. Would have been a lot more if it had been on mainstream TV. Plus the 40,000 at the stadium.

Also remember reading that around 70,000 pay to watch at least 1 speedway meeting in a season, with crowds averaging about 30,000 a week.

250 000 watch cardiff 45 000 go pretty much 300 000, around 35 000 active supporters, we make up 12% of cardiff.

proving that sky hold the whip hand, if they want 2 brits in, they get 2 brits in!

P.S (and on the side topic)

The singles chart...

Sales figures are now completely accurate, and proving to be bigger than ever before.

99% are by download and are therefore very easy to collate.

The previous Gallup sales system was setup in over 6,000 shops across Britain, and even in the 50's it was more than just "3 shops in London", honest. It automatically reported all sales via barcode readings at the till. Not infallible, but considered by experts to be accurate.

As for TV viewing figures...they're formed by using 5,100 carefully selected households, with an extremely detailed system for them to use. Sounds very much like a chore suited to anoraks...meaning that it may well be giving an exaggerated figure when it comes to speedway meetings ! :lol:

P.S (and on the side topic)

The singles chart...

Sales figures are now completely accurate, and proving to be bigger than ever before.

99% are by download and are therefore very easy to collate.

The previous Gallup sales system was setup in over 6,000 shops across Britain, and even in the 50's it was more than just "3 shops in London", honest. It automatically reported all sales via barcode readings at the till. Not infallible, but considered by experts to be accurate.

As for TV viewing figures...they're formed by using 5,100 carefully selected households, with an extremely detailed system for them to use. Sounds very much like a chore suited to anoraks...meaning that it may well be giving an exaggerated figure when it comes to speedway meetings ! :lol:

So if I wasn't selected I'm not an anorak thats good to know, :lol: thanks

Why on earth was Mataj Zagar overlooked? All they had to do was watch that magical race against Jason Crump at the SWC @ Peterborough and that alone should have made him a dead cert.

Couldn't agree more with that part of your post - one of the best races I've ever been fortunate enough to witness.

Well done to Bomber and Tai.

Could be make or break for Bomber in the GPs this upcoming season; I'm sure he isn't happy about his results since Cardiff 2007 and equally convinced he still has the desire to do better.

Tai's selection is thoroughly deserved; he more than anyone else is the future of British Speedway, and unlike any other GB riders comes with no excess baggage. You mob should get behind him rather than concentrating on running him down at every opportunity.

I look forward to seeing both of them in the GPs not only next season but for a few more to come, especially in Oz March 2011.

As it was when Harris was in the frame for a selection, a very unpopular choice, even with the majority of British fans. Not clear to me how and why he has been chosen, and it would be interesting to hear from those people who had the final decision. Lets see if he can justify his place, with some good performances, instead of excuses as to why he has had yet another poor meeting.

quite simple really, they have decided to have two brits in the GP,

Tai - give a good young rider the chance

Bomber - British Champion, did the qualifiers and finished best British rider who could be bothered to do them.

As I said....................

Quite simple. :approve:

Edited by Daddy Hammer

quite simple really, they have decided to have two brits in the GP,

Tai - give a good young rider the chance

Bomber - British Champion, did the qualifiers and finished best British rider who could be bothered to do them.

As I said....................

Quite simple. :approve:

If, by some miracle, he actually does well next year, then I will take all the criticism back, but you have to use his past record as a yardstick, and there are more deserving cases. His league form isn't even good enough to justify his inclusion.

Personally, if it had to be another brit, I would have chosen Richardson over Harris.

If, by some miracle, he actually does well next year, then I will take all the criticism back.

That's just it isn't it. This is Bomber's big chance to prove he has got what it takes, his last chance probably. Nobody on here has considered that Chris himself might feel that way too. Nobody has said that Chris might think he's gonna need time out if he can't get in the top 8 this time, the same way as Nicholls has been honest about it this year.

That's just it isn't it. This is Bomber's big chance to prove he has got what it takes, his last chance probably. Nobody on here has considered that Chris himself might feel that way too. Nobody has said that Chris might think he's gonna need time out if he can't get in the top 8 this time, the same way as Nicholls has been honest about it this year.

I sincerely hope that Bomber makes the most of his big chance to ''prove it'' -- and if he doesn't cut the mustard then he may well have to take the ''crap'' that Scott (and some will say deservedly so) had to accept ! Let's hope he will be dignified in that acceptance (if necessary.)

I sincerely hope that Bomber makes the most of his big chance to ''prove it'' -- and if he doesn't cut the mustard then he may well have to take the ''crap'' that Scott (and some will say deservedly so) had to accept ! Let's hope he will be dignified in that acceptance (if necessary.)

Bomber surely should have been thinking of this season as his last chance to prove himself...As I said before, he missed out by 22 points in 2008, so he was lucky to be selected again....but he didn't take his chance and actually got worse, finishing 36 points outside of a qualifying spot.

For all the abuse Nicholls got, he has at least qualified on merit a couple of times and been close to the qualification spots most other years...When he failed miserably this year, he had the decency to say he wasn't interested in being selected...Harris has never qualified and has been well out of touch for the last two years, but gets back in yet again.

Based on what?

Woffinden is in because there are too few twenty-somthings challenging the top riders and if we don't blood some youngsters now there is going to be a mad panic in a few . Hancock and Gollob are still usually the best of the rest, but won't be there much longer. Crump and Pedersen are also over 30. Zagar and Lindback again. Why?.

[/quote

What absolute twaddle. It might have escaped your notice but the series already has almost 30% of the field aged 25 or under, nameley Bjerre, Holder, Freddie and Emil.Thats plenty to be going on with at the moment. Young riders can gain experience in the qualifying rounds, then IF they are good enough move on to the GP's. The GP's are not going to wither and die if we dont put young riders in but they will deteriorate if we don't put capable riders in.

The inescapable fact is that Tai was not even capable of getting through to the GP Challenge this time round so why should he be leapfrogged ahead of riders that did progress further simply on the basis of his age ?

The whole idea of having each country have a wildcard at its own GP is to give young riders the experience. If Tai is good enough he will get wildcard at next years British GP, but he was clearly found wanting this year as Kennet beat him .

On the basis of your argument about blooding youngsters we might as well ban anyone over 21 from entering the qualifiers.

Get behind the GB boys

Bomber has to deliver or he is yesterdays news

Woofy can have 2 seasons to find his feet but then he has to deliver. Big learning curve.

Nicholls has proved himself better than these 2 in the past

Edited by Mark

I see people are still comparing non-British riders to Harris and Woffinden. There's no point...but I won't keep repeating meself.

For those suggesting Zagar and Lindback...you have to prove they deserve their chance ahead of Lindgren or Andersen.

And for those riders who may feel cheated by the selection process...maybe they should have qualified by right ! ;)

Aaaahhhhhhhhh some sense at last. The 'decision' taken that caused all this was that there would be 2 Brits in the SGP, and as I have said previously once that happened you had to chose the 2 best ones, Harris is British Champ and got the furthest in the quailfiers, then we were down to Woffinden, Richardson, and well, no-one else really.

I think that the 2 Brits selected are the correct 2 Brits.

Also on another but related point, can anyone seriously beleive that any rider not in SGP 2010 could crack the Top 6?

Thought not!.

Funny isn't it how us brits like to call the Aussies whingers.

Well, some of you brits on here could whinge for queen & country.

.......yet i wonder how many will be waving there british flags at cardiff.

Irony

Edited by colincooke

yea i remember him saying that in the past , tho he recently has been making enough noise about he deserves to be in the GP`s now.

Shame he cant be bothered to do the qualifiers as he obviously expects to be wild carded all the time.

He has had his chance - the only way he should get in is if he qualifies in my opinion.

Not surprised about Bomber. Think being reigning champion has something to do with it.

Richardson entered the qualifiers but pulled out on the eve of the meeting (semi final i think) cause of illness after he had travelled to the venue (can't remember where it was held off the top of my head).

To me that is the core of the problem when it comes to the performance of the Brits. Rather than them having to finish top 8 or qualify top 3 in the Challenge a Brit knows that 10th would be enough to ensure selection for next year or even worse as long as they maybe have a couple of decent performances at the end of the season.

Having this safety net does them no favours. Tai will go into 2010 knowing that the chances are he will also be guaranteed a slot for 2011. Unless he is totally out of his depth (possible, but unlikely imo) or 2 other Brits qualify as of right for the following year (possible, but highly unlikely imo) then Tai will know that he is likely to be back.

For years Nicholls - and now Harris - have known that as long as they finish top 10 or 12 and there are no other contenders then they will get a pick in all likelihood. This must affect their attitude to their racing. Compare the way Rune Holta seems to ride his socks off each year to get into the top 8 - the difference being that Rune knows if he doesn't make that cut-off it is unlikely he will get a seeded spot.

That's a very good point. I think if they had less or no seeded places available more top riders would enter the qualifiers and you should get the best riders through. If a weaker rider qualifies on merit then they deserve to be in it. Why are they so keen on younger riders being seeded in, i've seen some fantastic races over the years starring Adams, Crump ,Hancock & Gollob. If they're so keen on young riders how about Przemysław Pawlicki?

If they're so keen on young riders how about Przemysław Pawlicki?

Because its not particularly about young riders , that is a secondary concern, its about commercial appeal and money.

Therefore it has been decided that the SGP series needs 2 Brits, and forgive me if I am wrong but I presume that Przemysław Pawlicki doesnt meet the British criteria.