British Speedway Forum

2010 Grand Prix wildcards

Richardson was also rider of the year at Eastbourne last year, so he is a very popular rider in three clubs out of nine which is about as much as most riders are.

Bomber and Tai can't claim any exceptional support outside of their own clubs.

But the GP's are not about being popular and I can't believe you seriously think it is going to take Tai and Bomber to keep the British fans interested. Seriously, how much interest did Bomber generate in the GP's last year ?

well this is the issue isnt it? Nobody knows because it hasnt been put to the test.... and it doesnt look like this generation of IMG management are willing to put it to the test. More and more as time goes by it appears to be about one or both of two things..... the Cardiff attendance or the finer details of the Sky contract

re: the Bomber/Rico debate... I felt that they were the two who should be in .... maybe that was as inspiring a choice as offering it to someone like Peter Karlsson.... but Mr Karlsson is actually a very good example of what has gone wrong with the GP's................ only a part of speedway has ever been about 'box office'... and imo its certainly true that the day contrived and over reaching decisions were made in the name of 'box office' is the day that the sport loses a chunk of credibility.............. Peter Karlsson is still at the top of the game in multiple leagues and yet has been out of the GP's since what seems like forever............. so what is the issue? Is it that Black Country hurdy gurdying? is it that he is a speedway pensioner? or is it that he has some fetching steel frames on his face and a down to earth attitude?......... I think the group of guys who are now being passed over is becoming too large.... or rather the average difference between those in the competition and the new blood is too much......... is there really a tangible point where a rider has had his last chance?

Edited by spook

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think the host nation of any world sporting event automatically qualify?

What like the speedway world cup you mean ?

Speedway already has wildcards from the host nation as a rule in every meeting to help sell tickets etc and i dont have a problem with that as you have to get balance between a true championship event and the money side ...the trouble is in the last few years it's gone to far over to the money side in terms of what riders get picked and where they are having the events like Poland 3 gp's world cup finals in Poland and Denmark Every other year .

Four consecutive wild cards for Chris Harris has created an arrogant and utterly delusional rider with no credibility on the world stage. Even the year where he won the British Grand Prix he failed to reach the top 8, and year after year his inclusion looks more and more farcial.

At least Nicholls, poor as he was at times, was able to qualify by right on at least one occasion.

JT.

Even the year where he won the British Grand Prix he failed to reach the top 8

lets be fair now .... he missed out by a gnats whisker and it was his debut year ........ how many rookies in recent years have made the top 8? (in fact how many permanent wildcards have?!)

I'm interested in what has gone wrong since aside from the periods of duff gating on slick tracks....... it seems to me that his machinery has not been the same since Brian Andersen

Edited by spook

lets be fair now .... he missed out by a gnats whisker and it was his debut year ........ how many rookies in recent years have made the top 8? (in fact how many permanent wildcards have?!)

I'm interested in what has gone wrong since aside from the periods of duff gating on slick tracks....... it seems to me that his machinery has not been the same since Brian Andersen

Emil and Bjerre this year even if Bjerre came in via qualifications.

edit see this post

Edited by Ghostwalker

Emil and Bjerre this year even if Bjerre came in via qualifications.

edit see this post

indeed... and debuts since 2002........?

Zagar 2006 (7th)

Hampel 2004 (8th)

and since the start of the gp's ....

Sullivan 1998 (7th)

Brian Andersen 1997 (6th)

Nilsen 1997 (8th)

Peter Karlsson 1996 (6th)

in all the riders who have entered the gp's very few have managed it since 1996, and especially in recent years..... like I said Bomber's whisker away from 8th was one of the best debut gp seasons ....and the issue has been since then

Edited by spook

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing like a bit of added 'fuel' to the Harris - Nicholls feud :lol: teehee...

From Speedway GP site:

Nicholls was pleased to see Woffinden rewarded for his impressive progress at home and abroad. But he admits he was surprised to see Harris receive another chance in the SGP series, after the Coventry man finished 14th last season.

He said: “Personally, I think Tai and Lee Richardson should have been given wild cards.

“Lee hasn’t been in it for a while and he has been in pretty good form everywhere. His scores in Sweden and Poland are better than mine and Chris’ and his British form is good.

“I was surprised Bomber got the nod over Lee. That’s just my personal opinion – I was surprised Lee didn’t get a wild card and he deserved one most out of all the British riders.”

• 9 months later...

I have just had a smile to myself looking through a few of the posts here and i was going to quote a few but to be honest

i think i'll leave it at just this one.

Steve Shovlar, on 13 November 2009 - 12:40 PM, said:

Terrible to chose Harris. In fact disgraceful. I would have chosen Eddie or Richardson over Harris any day of the week. Bomber has had his chance. in fact I would have chosen Nicholls over Bomber as well.

With one round to go .......

1st Tomasz Gollob 163

2nd Jaroslaw Hampel 131

3rd Jason Crump 129

4th Kenneth Bjerre 102

5th Rune Holta 97

6th Greg Hancock 95

7th Chris Harris 94

8th Chris Holder 90

3 points from 5th in the world ?, yep, they sure made a massive error picking Harris didn't they ?.

Try looking at last season's results. Shovlar was on the mark, his view was entirely correct. Two riders not chosen finished ahead of Harris last year. He was picked because he was British. Fair enough, he took his fourth chance. Remember, Harris still has never qualified for the GPs on merit. He is going to do so this year, but he should never have been given the chance.

Try looking at last season's results. Shovlar was on the mark, his view was entirely correct. Two riders not chosen finished ahead of Harris last year. He was picked because he was British. Fair enough, he took his fourth chance. Remember, Harris still has never qualified for the GPs on merit. He is going to do so this year, but he should never have been given the chance.

You make some decent points, one that Chris Harris was picked because he was British, but this season he should now qualify out right, and is showing that he is becoming a quality rider.

The riders mentioned by Shovlar Nicholls, Richardson and Kennett would not have made the impact that Bomber has made this season.

I have just had a smile to myself looking through a few of the posts here and i was going to quote a few but to be honest

1st Tomasz Gollob 163

2nd Jaroslaw Hampel 131

3rd Jason Crump 129

4th Kenneth Bjerre 102

5th Rune Holta 97

6th Greg Hancock 95

7th Chris Harris 94

8th Chris Holder 90

3 points from 5th in the world ?, yep, they sure made a massive error picking Harris didn't they ?.

Justice finally done as one of the most exiting riders of modern times wins the title. Also, well done Bomber who now moves up 15 points ahead of the rider in ninth place. It is now a big ask for any of the persuing group, Andersen, Jonsson, Pedersen and Lindgren to overhaul him or even Holder for that matter.

This could result in tricky situation with regard to wildcards.

Kolodziej was assured of a pick if Lindgren finished in the top eight but, as this is unlikely to happen, he may now miss out unless the organisers are happy to have four Poles in the series. Then, what of Denmark - will they get two wildcards. If they do then they will be obliged to offer one to Jonsson as well.

Sayfutdinov will be in, I am sure. Now, though they have the opportunity to seed a second Brit. It won't be Tai, who has been largely out of his depth and the pick came at the wrong time. Lee Richardson is the obviuos choice but he has just transferred to Lakeside, a Friday night track and a promotion who wish do not wish to stage meetings other than on Fridays.

1st Tomasz Gollob 163

2nd Jaroslaw Hampel 131

3rd Jason Crump 129

4th Kenneth Bjerre 102

5th Rune Holta 97

6th Greg Hancock 95

7th Chris Harris 94

8th Chris Holder 90

With Bjerre riding like a donkey of late its not impossible for Bomber to take 4th spot .... Bjerre could score 10 in the qualifiers & still be passed by Chris if he made the semi's with 12pts and won his semi & took 2nd in the Final giving him a 9pt swing. This depends on other riders as well of course. Must be honest cannot see Bjerre getting 10pts anyway on a racers track.

Nest years picks should be Emil & Nicki (nailed on) ... Janusz & Tai Woffinden .... Andersen & Jonsson have had there chances, and Tai has done okay for his first attempt in a difficult year for him. If Noddy messes up he should get a spot. :)

I don't think some of the Hierachy would allow 4 poles and 2 danes tbh. Top 8 will stay the same, with the wildcards going to Andersen, Pedersen, Saifutidnov and then one out of Kolodziej, Jonsson or a brit. Imo Andersen has done more than Jonsson this year by making two finals to Jonssons one, whilst also picking up injuries on the way, Jonsson has had no troubles this year and ever since that exclusion in the semi earlier in the year just doesn't look interested, at least Andersen is trying.

I reckon the 2011 GP line up will be ....

1 ~ Tomasz Gollob

2 ~ Jarek Hampel

3 ~ Jason Crump

4 ~ Rune Holta

5 ~ Kenneth Bjerre

6 ~ Greg Hancock

7 ~ Chris Harris

8 ~ Chris Holder

9 ~ Artem Laguta

10 ~ Antonio Lindback

11 ~ Fredrik Lindgren

12 ~ Nicki Pedersen

13 ~ Hans Andersen

14 ~ Andreas Jonsson

15 ~ Emil Sayfutdinov

16 ~ WILD CARD

17 ~ 18 ~ Track Reserves

19 ~ Janusz Kolodiej

Emil is gauranteed a selection while the Series wouldn't be the same without Nicki P who has had a bad year and injuries keeping him back from claiming a top 8 spot. When you look around at the World Class riders, there isn't anyone better than AJ and Hans and they can both still mix it with the best and on their day make the rostrum.

As Janusz Kolodiej is first reserve, then he will probably get a few rides any way but being Polish Champion now he may get a call up but would they want a fourth Pole as well as a Russian ?

Can't see how Britain can be given a Wild Card as Scott Nicholls has proved year after year he isnt up to it and looks much better now he is out of the circus while Tai will get another chance in the future.