British Speedway Forum

2010 Grand Prix wildcards

Well obviously not all of them are that bright,because some are still asking for Zagar to be included in their possible line up,and last time I checked he had a far higher average than Rico.Poole,Coventry,Peterborough,Swindon,Eastbourne have all tried and discarded him.

Bees fans maybe split to an extent over the merits of Bomber and Scott,but I don't know one Bees fan who would ever entertain having Rico anywhere near a Bees team in future.

Ask Wolves fans our local rivals who they would rather have in their team,Bomber or Rico.Think you would find the same answer with most tracks.And lets be honest if you could get our asset AJ back ,Lakeside would ditch Rico without a moments pause.

Granted both Rico and Bomber haven't been great successes in the GPs,although at least Bomber has actually won one.He has been British champion twice,a title Rico has never ever won;and at least he qualified for the GP challenge.

At the end of the day it is a subjective argument,neither is likely to be world champion.

You are still missing the point of what was being said in Orions posts. No doubt plenty of clubs in England would choose Bomber over Rico but the point Orion was making was that 10 out of 11 GP's are not raced in England, they are raced on the Continent and the records show without a shadow of doubt that Rico is by far the most successful rider on the continent. Its not a difficult concept to grasp.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well obviously not all of them are that bright,because some are still asking for Zagar to be included in their possible line up,and last time I checked he had a far higher average than Rico.Poole,Coventry,Peterborough,Swindon,Eastbourne have all tried and discarded him.

Bees fans maybe split to an extent over the merits of Bomber and Scott,but I don't know one Bees fan who would ever entertain having Rico anywhere near a Bees team in future.

Ask Wolves fans our local rivals who they would rather have in their team,Bomber or Rico.Think you would find the same answer with most tracks.And lets be honest if you could get our asset AJ back ,Lakeside would ditch Rico without a moments pause.

Granted both Rico and Bomber haven't been great successes in the GPs,although at least Bomber has actually won one.He has been British champion twice,a title Rico has never ever won;and at least he qualified for the GP challenge.

At the end of the day it is a subjective argument,neither is likely to be world champion.

Why do you keep on about clubs and assets etc etc ? the debate is about who would do better in the gp ...no one cares if wolves fan dont want rico in there team or if swindon want rico or zagar in there team as this has nothing to do with club speedway.

Bomber problem is that he can't get results outside the uk ....you list a gp win and british titles but yet again what has he done outside these shores ....why rico not only has been a world champion he been our top man in poland and sweden and for team gb time and time again .

Why do you keep on about clubs and assets etc etc ? the debate is about who would do better in the gp ...no one cares if wolves fan dont want rico in there team or if swindon want rico or zagar in there team as this has nothing to do with club speedway.

Bomber problem is that he can't get results outside the uk ....you list a gp win and british titles but yet again what has he done outside these shores ....why rico not only has been a world champion he been our top man in poland and sweden and for team gb time and time again .

You can't have the argument both ways. Though I agree he has generally been very good for us in the SWC, and as I said previously he's a better racer than many give him credit for. It doesn't change the fact he didn't even get to the Challenge Final and has never won the British Title. Quite what the U21 title ten years ago has got to do with it I'm not sure.

You can't have the argument both ways. Though I agree he has generally been very good for us in the SWC, and as I said previously he's a better racer than many give him credit for. It doesn't change the fact he didn't even get to the Challenge Final and has never won the British Title. Quite what the U21 title ten years ago has got to do with it I'm not sure.

its quite hard to reach the final if you are sick.

Rico may not have won the BC but how many times have Tai won the BC?

Edited by Ghostwalker

He never got knock out of the challenge did he ? and he made it last year :rolleyes: why when we are saying it's all about his form outside the uk that gives him the edge you keep going on about the british final .

And the end of the day anyone trying to big up harris can only go back to talking about form and things that happen in the uk like your post has to ...start talking about what he's done outside it will be a short convo .

Edited by orion

its quite hard to reach the final if you are sick.

Rico may not have won the BC but how many times have Tai won the BC?

Perhaps, but that's basically tough luck.

None, but then there is quite a significant age difference there.

...start talking about what he's done outside it will be a short convo .

Okay. Harris has one GP podium outside the UK. One more than Rico. So I agree it was a short conversation but at least we had one which is more than we could about Rico's zero. :lol::P

I'm not totally anti-Rico. But a place in the '10 GP Series for him cannot be justified.

*edit* typo

Edited by 21st century heathen

Perhaps, but that's basically tough luck.

Okay. Harris has one GP podium outside the UK. One more than Rico.

Schoolboy error!!!!! :blink::unsure:

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/index.cgi?...amp;thread=1141

Edited by frigbo

He never got knock out of the challenge did he ? and he made it last year :rolleyes: why when we are saying it's all about his form outside the uk that gives him the edge you keep going on about the british final .

And the end of the day anyone trying to big up harris can only go back to talking about form and things that happen in the uk like your post has to ...start talking about what he's done outside it will be a short convo .

Tai and Bomber are in the GP series in 2010 to keep British fans interested in the series. We may as well put Darth Vader in as most GB fans outside of Essex, Swindon, or Banbury don't rate or even like Richardsson.

I'm not totally anti-Rico. But a place in the '10 GP Series for him cannot be justified.

*edit* typo

This is the problem when you come in half way through the thread without properly reading what has been said before. Orions basic point, quite correctly was that NONE of the Brirish riders are good enough for the GP's at the moment. He then went on to say that of the Brits Rico is the most successful on European tracks but he still maintained that even Rico was the best of a bad bunch and none of them should be in it. So when you say that a place in the 2010 GP's for Rico cannot be justified we are all with you on that one, but if it can't be justified for Rico then neither can it be justified for any of the others.

Personally I like Bomber and would love to see him do well but there is nothing in his past record that suggests he has the ability to ride well on the continental tracks, and if you can't do that you won't make the top 8 in the GP's.

Which ever way you break it down the plain fact is that the inclusion of Tai and Bomber is a smoke-and-mirrors job because they are British, and not because they are GP standard riders. In plain language they are not there on merit.

You could just about make a case for Bomber on the basis of his position in the GP challenge but then you would have to apply a totally different test for Tai who didnt get anywhere near the GP challenge.

Tai and Bomber are in the GP series in 2010 to keep British fans interested in the series. We may as well put Darth Vader in as most GB fans outside of Essex, Swindon, or Banbury don't rate or even like Richardsson.

Richardson was also rider of the year at Eastbourne last year, so he is a very popular rider in three clubs out of nine which is about as much as most riders are.

Bomber and Tai can't claim any exceptional support outside of their own clubs.

But the GP's are not about being popular and I can't believe you seriously think it is going to take Tai and Bomber to keep the British fans interested. Seriously, how much interest did Bomber generate in the GP's last year ?

Richardson was also rider of the year at Eastbourne last year, so he is a very popular rider in three clubs out of nine which is about as much as most riders are.

Bomber and Tai can't claim any exceptional support outside of their own clubs.

But the GP's are not about being popular and I can't believe you seriously think it is going to take Tai and Bomber to keep the British fans interested. Seriously, how much interest did Bomber generate in the GP's last year ?

Tai has huge support from Rye House and Scunny. His support is only likely to increase especially with whats happening with his poor Dad.

I think we are all aware of that :rolleyes: and there lies many peoples problem with the gp's it's become more about selling tickets and manking money for a company than a world championship event .

And the end of the day no brit has earned the right to be in this years gp, it's that simple

Tai has huge support from Rye House and Scunny. His support is only likely to increase especially with whats happening with his poor Dad.

I totally agree with both points.

Rob Woffinden must be so proud to know that his son will be riding in the Cardiff GP - even though he won't be there to see him.

\

Bomber is in the series 'cos he's the British Champ; get behind your Champion, FFS! :angry:

Tai's in the series 'cos he's the best thing to come outta Pomgolia since the First Fleet. :approve:

I think we are all aware of that :rolleyes: and there lies many peoples problem with the gp's it's become more about selling tickets and manking money for a company than a world championship event .

And the end of the day no brit has earned the right to be in this years gp, it's that simple

Absolutely correct. The operative word is earned.

Absolutely correct. The operative word is earned.

And the same can be said for the 2008 season also, but then, as is the case now, brits are an important part of the series, whether anyone likes it or not. Why do you think the host nation of any world sporting event automatically qualify? Ok, it's a different format , and its over 11 meetings in several countries, but the principle is the same, to put bums on seats and give the home fans something to cheer about. It still doesn't explain Harris' inclusion though.

Why do you think the host nation of any world sporting event automatically qualify?

Apart from the SWC or Team World Cup or whatever it is called next year.And maybe explains why it is only held in Denmark and Poland nowadays as a British promoter would be taking a huge gamble in applying for the meetings with no assurance that GB would be there.Whereas Poland and Denmark are pretty safe bets to get into the final,so the risk is very small

And the same can be said for the 2008 season also, but then, as is the case now, brits are an important part of the series, whether anyone likes it or not. Why do you think the host nation of any world sporting event automatically qualify? Ok, it's a different format , and its over 11 meetings in several countries, but the principle is the same, to put bums on seats and give the home fans something to cheer about. It still doesn't explain Harris' inclusion though.

Look at Orions post 256 at 9-40 am today this page. What he said was its more about selling tickets and making money than a World Championship. Do you agree or not agree ?