British Speedway Forum

Whats My Line

hullangel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...except that it wasn't Bob Danvers Walker. It was someone called Alec, as I remember.

You are right Ian - Original "gonger": Alec Dane. Original "announcer" - Bob Danvers Walker. :approve::approve::approve:

Oi'll give you "FOIVE" for being right. :approve:

Edited by ianmartin

I think that was Peter Collins but he had certainly retired by then but was perhaps chosen because as an ex world champion he might have been one rider that the panel might have heard of!

Correct - it was PC.

During that bit Rory McGrath said to Gary Lineker "You used to go to Leicester speedway, didn't you Gary?" and Lineker admitted he had been "once or twice".

You are right Ian - Original "gonger": Alec Dane. Original "announcer" - Bob Danvers Walker. :approve::approve::approve:

Oi'll give you "FOIVE" for being right. :approve:

They (whoever THEY are) reckon that every survivor of the Titanic disaster remembers that the orchestra was laying as the ship slipped under the waves. They also reckon that no two survivors ever agreed on what tune was being played!

Janice Nicholls, wasn't it? Don't know what happened to her though.

That was the name in the back of my mind, Norman. I don't know what happened to her either. Had it been forty years later she'd be appearing on Big Brother, Strictly Dancing and that thing about people in the jungle eating worms (or whatever it is they do). I don't think the concept of the talentless celebrity had really been invented in the 1960s.

Edited by Ian

That was the name in the back of my mind, Norman. I don't know what happened to her either. Had it been forty years later she'd be appearing on Big Brother, Strictly Dancing and that thing about people in the jungle eating worms (or whatever it is they do). I don't think the concept of the talentless celebrity had really been invented in the 1960s.

Was going to post something similar. If Janice Nicholls was at the peak of her popularity today then Max Clifford would be involved and she would beamed into our living rooms from the depths of the Australian rainforest.

If memory serves, from my time living in the West Midlands, after her brush with fame she went back to the day job, settled down with her husband and raised a family.

Think she lived in the Cannock area, though I might be wrong.

Last time I looked (and don't ask me why I was looking!) Janice Nicholls lived in Hednesford and was married to Brian Meacham, former lead singer with the wonderfully named 'Brian Gulliver and the Travellers'.

She had entered the world of modernism and she had a website, www.foive.co.uk I think it was.

They (whoever THEY are) reckon that every survivor of the Titanic disaster remembers that the orchestra was laying as the ship slipped under the waves. They also reckon that no two survivors ever agreed on what tune was being played!

As a former pianist on the QE2 in the 70s i can't remember whether I was laying or playing either!

Pretty sure Nigel and Eric Boocock were on Question of Sport in early 70's - the subject of where you have to guess the personality(s) from dodgy filming - if you get me. . .

I remember in 2000 when Mark Loram was on the progamme and his question ws 'guess the (speedway) team' - and they showed a Hull Vikings bib! Mark got the question right.....

I remember Take Your Pick cos my Dad was in the audience for a show.......................

And correct me if I am wrong but did a Speedway rider appear on They Think Its All Over and if so who was it????????????? Kelvin Tatum rings a bell but it might have been later than his retirement...................

RP

Yes, Peter Collins was on the show as has been mentioned earlier, but I seem to remember Jan Staechmann also being on the show with his Telford ice bike as well some time after PC's appearance.