British Speedway Forum

Wildcards 2010

As I said before there are not really any Brits worthy of a place in the GP's..................Tai is too young and too hot headed and Kennett will never be a 'World Class' rider.............there are youngsters coming through but are they being given a chance to compete with the big boys???????????? May be the fact there are not enough 'good' Brits at the moment is because the Elite League is overloaded with foreigners and not only that very few are given the chance to double up because of the number of foreign riders at reserve.........

How many teams have more than one Brit in their team all the time in the Elite League???????????? May be the time has come to put British Speedway back on the map.............let more Brits into the Elite League and then may be it will go back to the 70's and 80's when British Speedway was at least ten times better than it is now....................

Rant over

RP

so was emil too young and hot headed??? i hope that its true, give the lads a go. nicholls,harris and rico have all had there chance.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love tractors.

Emil is better then Tai and more experienced as well.

EK well he is way to mediocre to be in the GPs. Emil only Rides in Two leagues too (Poland& Russia)

Some say that Tai/EK will get new big sponsors. So?

its not all about machinery or having big budgets. EK has rode his meetings in Sweden

at Kråkvilan which is a short and narrow "British style track" and despite that his score have

been very low.

Even a rider like Eric Andersson have better scores (22p/24 heats/5 meetings) in Elitserien.

Tai has done very well in his first season in Elitserien, especially the second half but he has mostly

ridden as a reserve soi think he should wait a year at least to get some more experience.

IMO a rider needs to show some consistency scoring in at least two leagues from riding as nr 1-5

before they should be considered for a WC.

Danish Media is saying rumours are that the 4 wild cards are:

Freddie

Hans A

Tai

Eddie

Think that was said on Page 1 on the thread where Ed and Tai are being ripped to pieces :rolleyes:

Edited by shazzybird

I agree with you completly , no WC have actually been announced as yet have they ? And as for knocking our British riders could any of you go out there and do a better job.

It's not their job to do better than professional British speedway riders. Are we only allowed to have an opinion on something if we can do the job better ourselves?

Rob McCaffery.

Think that was said on Page 1 on the thread where Ed and Tai are being ripped to pieces :rolleyes:

Do that thing with your neck that you always tell others to do :blink:

I haven't seen Tai for one "being ripped to pieces".From what i have read,most think he is a super prospect but this is probably a year too early.No ripping to pieces at all.Even with Ed,i don't consider the critcism "being ripped to pieces",more being realistic at where he is at the moment in world speedway.The trouble with British speedway is the bar is set too low.It is enough to be a bit better than average to get into the GPs(and usually stay there for a few years).I think Richardson and Nicholls felt that for a number of years and it did them more harm than good imo.I like both riders.They have the talent to be better than they have shown.Maybe if they were from another country they would have had to try harder and as a result become better.The problem could happen all over again.Are there a couple of British riders that haven't been disregarded by the GPs hot on these two's tails?I don't see them.Bridger?Hmmmmm.So if they fail next year,who will replace them the year after?Tai could very well be the hot prospect a lot think.But i think a year without a Brit in the GPs would have sent out a much better message than giving two inexperienced riders a spot(if true of course.and i for one hope it isn't and GB have 1 place at the most).So read what is being said,not what you think is being said ala Parsloes :rolleyes:

Edited by iris123

As I said before there are not really any Brits worthy of a place in the GP's..................Tai is too young and too hot headed and Kennett will never be a 'World Class' rider.............there are youngsters coming through but are they being given a chance to compete with the big boys???????????? May be the fact there are not enough 'good' Brits at the moment is because the Elite League is overloaded with foreigners and not only that very few are given the chance to double up because of the number of foreign riders at reserve.........

How many teams have more than one Brit in their team all the time in the Elite League???????????? May be the time has come to put British Speedway back on the map.............let more Brits into the Elite League and then may be it will go back to the 70's and 80's when British Speedway was at least ten times better than it is now....................

Rant over

RP

If being a hothead prevented anybody from entry into the GP series, then we would have no series at all. You judge Tai simply from a few incidents on TV, which is pretty pathetic. He's hardly Craig Boyce, is he?

It's not their job to do better than professional British speedway riders. Are we only allowed to have an opinion on something if we can do the job better ourselves?

Rob McCaffery.

What about commentators? :rolleyes:

Presumably Myself and a few others can be blamed for the parlous state of british speedway at the moment because i stated no current british rider desrves to be in the GPs on merit.And of course so far i have been proved..............right :rolleyes: I have broad enough shoulders.Don't blame the riders,don't blame the promoters,don't blame the system,blame a few fans on this forum for saying it like it is :blink: The rest of the world shakes their head and cries,we should big the riders up,just like every world Cup people think the english football team stand a pretty good chance of winning the thing :lol:

well first things first the English football team actually does realistically have a VERY good chance of winning the world cup :wink:

you are right of course .... you are saying it how you see it and I would suggest with a whole lot more realism than IMG, the fans and more importantly the British promoters have been.................. none of us can expect things to be realistic only when we want them to be.... but that also cuts both ways

Rant over

RP

couldnt agree more... except the part about Tedward never being world class....... he has made it a career habit to prove people wrong!

This problem has been around for donkeys years and has steadily got worse and worse................ maybe this rumour of Tai and Ed is just a rumour but there is a reason we all believe it and that is because it isnt out of the question.................. we are now reduced to relying on teens who have only just hit an 8.00 average in a watered down EL and not in the more significant Polish and Swedish leagues because the standard of British rider has gone so downhill

I apologise to those who have seen me post it before because i'm sure it is boring to some ......but there is only one reason for this and that is because of the british promoters playing monopoly with assets that mean nothing and consequently those assessed averages that can be so exploited.............. there is only one or two young british riders moving up to the EL in any given year....... yet how many overseas riders come into the EL for the first time every season? ................... is the issue at EL level?

IMO there is an issue at EL level but there is a much bigger issue at PL level that is choking the supply...... we have become nothing more than a training ground for the world's youngsters while the promoters see just how low those assessed averages can be set at the agm .......... this is nothing personal about the Aussies because I look forward to their sheer world dominance for a decade starting in a couple of years time ...but instead of looking to train up and support our own batch of youngsters we are providing a crucial training area and program for what is starting to look like a scarily good Aussie squad of the future.......... and its not just the Aussies is it?

Here is a question.......... how much better is the British League than the Danish League?

so was emil too young and hot headed??? i hope that its true, give the lads a go. nicholls,harris and rico have all had there chance.

Emil is a one off

i love tractors.

Emil is better then Tai and more experienced as well.

EK well he is way to mediocre to be in the GPs. Emil only Rides in Two leagues too (Poland& Russia)

Some say that Tai/EK will get new big sponsors. So?

its not all about machinery or having big budgets. EK has rode his meetings in Sweden

at Kråkvilan which is a short and narrow "British style track" and despite that his score have

been very low.

Even a rider like Eric Andersson have better scores (22p/24 heats/5 meetings) in Elitserien.

Tai has done very well in his first season in Elitserien, especially the second half but he has mostly

ridden as a reserve soi think he should wait a year at least to get some more experience.

IMO a rider needs to show some consistency scoring in at least two leagues from riding as nr 1-5

before they should be considered for a WC.

Although Emil is ultra talented he does appear to have found the right balance very early on .......... money means nothing without the right machinery... and the right machinery means nothing without the right mechanics and management

I think you are spot on GW......... there should be at least a couple of requirements for a rider before they are called up to the GP's ........ it would go a long way to stopping youngsters having major setbacks in their career .............

Surely better sponsors the money would be used on better machinery to use in the GP's and in the leagues.

Let's not forget that Tai is a 'factory' Jawa rider or JRM as it is now

being a factory rider is obviously helpful but it still doesnt mean they are getting first dibs........ those other established riders with Jawa deals will probably be testing those engines out first.............. and some might say that this isnt the level of speedway to be sticking with Jawa!

I thought you said money talks. To me it means they'll have to pay for their place by bringing in sponsorship like most of the WC rally drivers do for their team and some of the F1 for their teams. Only in speedway IMG is the team. If Hagon Shocks puts in another 50k in Eddies pocket, I really dont see how that will benefit the "team"...

Like I said you are misreading my Post

If being a hothead prevented anybody from entry into the GP series, then we would have no series at all. You judge Tai simply from a few incidents on TV, which is pretty pathetic. He's hardly Craig Boyce, is he?

Not at all pathetic and no more so than saying he is hardly Craig Boyce...............

What I am saying is that it takes a certain maturity to be a GP rider...............he in my opinion is not mature enough if he can lose his rag at the drop of a hat...................which is what appears to have happened over the course of the season...........if he does have grudges it should not reflect on what he does on track...............

The Craig Boyce/Tomasz Gollob incident is so far in the past I would have though most people had forgotten it.....................

All riders can be tempermental............it just he seems to be more than most I have seen in the 33 years I have been following the sport...............

RP

Not at all pathetic and no more so than saying he is hardly Craig Boyce...............

What I am saying is that it takes a certain maturity to be a GP rider...............he in my opinion is not mature enough if he can lose his rag at the drop of a hat...................which is what appears to have happened over the course of the season...........if he does have grudges it should not reflect on what he does on track...............

The Craig Boyce/Tomasz Gollob incident is so far in the past I would have though most people had forgotten it.....................

All riders can be tempermental............it just he seems to be more than most I have seen in the 33 years I have been following the sport...............

RP

I quoted the Boyce/Gollob incident, as it seems to be the most infamous of them all, also, the man has become the Australian WC team manager, so he is deemed suitable enough for that job, even though he demonstrated his quick temper, which is basically what you accuse Tai of.

Maturity to be a GP rider? Tell that to Sajfutdinov for his toy throwing, and Gollob, who left his bike on the start/finish line whilst a race was in progess. As for grudges, how do you know he has grudges? A meeting that involves a rider you have had a recent problem with, doesn't constitute a grudge.

I quoted the Boyce/Gollob incident, as it seems to be the most infamous of them all, also, the man has become the Australian WC team manager, so he is deemed suitable enough for that job, even though he demonstrated his quick temper, which is basically what you accuse Tai of.

Maturity to be a GP rider? Tell that to Sajfutdinov for his toy throwing, and Gollob, who left his bike on the start/finish line whilst a race was in progess. As for grudges, how do you know he has grudges? A meeting that involves a rider you have had a recent problem with, doesn't constitute a grudge.

re read my post.......................I did say if he has grudges not that he has.....................and everyone is entitled to a blow out now and again................a shame its happened in a couple of GP's this year................

I did not accuse Tai of having a quick temper...................I said he is hot headed.............there is a difference..............If you want hot headed and quick tempered I suggest you don't cross me because I am both of those...............

I don't know why you seem to think I don't like Tai because I think he is one of the best prospects we have had in years.............I am just putting across a view I believe would be more beneficial in the long term for his career prospects...............

RP (aka Karen)

re read my post.......................I did say if he has grudges not that he has.....................and everyone is entitled to a blow out now and again................a shame its happened in a couple of GP's this year................

I did not accuse Tai of having a quick temper...................I said he is hot headed.............there is a difference..............If you want hot headed and quick tempered I suggest you don't cross me because I am both of those...............

I don't know why you seem to think I don't like Tai because I think he is one of the best prospects we have had in years.............I am just putting across a view I believe would be more beneficial in the long term for his career prospects...............

RP (aka Karen)

Quick temper and hot head go together, as you said you have both yourself.

Other, more mature riders are allowed a blow out, but not Tai? You're just hiding anti Tai feelings.

If people are judging Tai on what happened at Lakeside he was asked what the fuss was about with Richardsson and his reply was 'I was having a bad day' and ' things had happened in Poland' -I looked on the internet and noticed Tai rode the day before and the morning (In Poland) of the semi final at lakeside. Their team was knocked out of the play offs with Rico scoring 0.

If people are judging Tai on what happened at Lakeside he was asked what the fuss was about with Richardsson and his reply was 'I was having a bad day' and ' things had happened in Poland' -I looked on the internet and noticed Tai rode the day before and the morning (In Poland) of the semi final at lakeside. Their team was knocked out of the play offs with Rico scoring 0.

Not judging on the Lakeside incident at all but on a number of incidents (including his run in with Bjarne Pedersen at Poole).................

I reiterate................I am not Anti Tai at all, just feel he is not ready for the GP series yet.................

RP

Sorry, I must be missing something. What is the relevance of Rico scoring 0?

I reiterate................I am not Anti Tai at all, just feel he is not ready for the GP series yet.................

RP

Lets face it, only 3-6 riders are actually capable of winning the title at the end of the season and the rest are battling for a top 8 spot and I'm sure Tai will be one of those giving it 110% and will score more next season that either Harris or Nicholls have this year.

Sorry, I must be missing something. What is the relevance of Rico scoring 0?

He missed the gate ;)

Lets face it, only 3-6 riders are actually capable of winning the title at the end of the season and the rest are battling for a top 8 spot and I'm sure Tai will be one of those giving it 110% and will score more next season that either Harris or Nicholls have this year.

isnt the problem though that if he scores as much as Nicholls then he has had a disastrous campaign and has been looking at the back wheel of third place more times than is psychologically healthy?

and if he scores as much as Bomber then he hasnt had as disastrous a season but on the strength of what people are saying then he doesnt deserve to stay in the competition

I'm still failing to see the point of putting a rider in when it is either obviously too early..... or in Tai's case is likely to be too early... instead of waiting for them to grow naturally

no one likes an unripe avocado... or erm something like that :unsure:

I'm still failing to see the point of putting a rider in when it is either obviously too early..... or in Tai's case is likely to be too early... instead of waiting for them to grow naturally

no one likes an unripe avocado... or erm something like that :unsure:

explane to us how this growing naturally works - cos i'm not sure ive heard thatr before