British Speedway Forum

New Ideas

SCOTLAND1314

We all have our thoughts on what is wrong with speedway and can be quite vociferous in venting them on this forum.

How about a thread that offers up all our ideas (hopefully with the emphasis on the positive...) on how to improve sppedway

It doesn't have to be a grand thought out plan, or necessarily restricted to league speedway just your ideas on any aspect of speedway... you never know the promoters that read this forum might just take on one of our ideas...

So I'll set the ball rolling.

For starters get away from using averages to build each new season's team. There is too much controversy, time and effort revolving around them. IMO we should just have a free for all but am also not averse to using a system similar to that in Poland (which I think is something along these lines).

Your reserves have to be under 21, thereby keeping the life blood of speedway going

Maximum number of GP riders is 2

Minimum number of local riders (i.e. UK) in your team 2 or 3.

I also feel that UK speedway teams should be allowed to construct a squad system, which they turn to in order to replace an injured rider. i.e. thereby getting rid of Guests and R/R and also getting away from the constant back biting about the eligibility of certain signings.

These changes would allow a bit of continuity for teams and importantly for riders it will allow them to potentially build up a number of local sponsors i.e. at the minute with riders dotting between tracks it can be awkward for riders to start from scratch in a new area and attract sponsors.

Anyway that's one for starters.

I'd be interested to hear others.

Iwould also not allow team to be built arond averages , but by grades (no not the complicated one used before) just 3 grades Heat leader, Second String and reserve

Each team could biuld to a Maximum of 3 heat leaders ,2 Second strings and 2 reserves

unless team changes were made, the team would be allowed regardless of league position to keep the same team for any number of seasons, this would be a great advantage to getting in sponsers with the promise of continuity in the team

It would also encourage promotions to bring in youngsters knowing if they do well they wont have to let them go next season

• Like 1

Iwould also not allow team to be built arond averages , but by grades (no not the complicated one used before) just 3 grades Heat leader, Second String and reserve

Each team could biuld to a Maximum of 3 heat leaders ,2 Second strings and 2 reserves

unless team changes were made, the team would be allowed regardless of league position to keep the same team for any number of seasons, this would be a great advantage to getting in sponsers with the promise of continuity in the team

It would also encourage promotions to bring in youngsters knowing if they do well they wont have to let them go next season

How would you decide who is a heat leader, Second string etc?

open to debate but as a starter over 7.00 heatleader btween 4.5 and 7.00 second string , below 4.5 reserve

I think this fact still keeps some of the arguments over averages.. i.e. one person's interpretation of heat leader is 7.00 others it may be 8.5... etc

How do you rate a foreign newcomer?

Of course riders would have averages , but they would not be used for team building but getting a grading

Apologies I don't think I explained my point well enough.

I'd want no averages so that you could bring in any class of rider.

Not sure I understand this one completely.

How would this work?

How would it improve speedway?

Personally I feel it would bring out ability rather than the one with the richest parents from the off. Those who's parents are on a lower income could compete on the same level. Above all it could bring down riders wages and make speedway cheaper, with no net loss to either promoter or rider. Plenty of other sports have standard out of the box classes with limited tuning rules, speedway has some but prefers to line the pockets of expensive aftermarket parts and expensive tuners.

Not sure it would improve the racing, would definitely slow them down I guess.

Edited by Deano

Personally I feel it would bring out ability rather than the one with the richest parents from the off. Those who's parents are on a lower income could compete on the same level. Above all it could bring down riders wages and make speedway cheaper, with no net loss to either promoter or rider. Plenty of other sports have standard out of the box classes with limited tuning rules, speedway has some but prefers to line the pockets of expensive aftermarket parts and expensive tuners.

Not sure it would improve the racing, would definitely slow them down I guess.

V interesting.

You write that other sports have standard out the box equipment, which ones are you thinking of?

How would we control the 'sealed' element of the proposal?

V interesting.

You write that other sports have standard out the box equipment, which ones are you thinking of?

How would we control the 'sealed' element of the proposal?

The four wheeled kind, some types of car competitions for example race box standard 1.0L VW Polo's. It's very close stuff, the only way they can pass is by forcing their way through. Couldn't do that in speedway obviously. :lol:

The sealed bit is tough, but other sports use some kind of item that would break when the engine is broken apart (like a unique coloured wax seal). Also the engine and security type bolts could be sprayed a colour to reveal scratch marks if tools have attacked it. They'd have to work with the manufacturer of course, but there are ways to stop it and in all purposes, if a rider was two seconds per race quicker than everyone else....... the machine examiner would pay a visit. :lol:

Edited by Deano

The four wheeled kind, some types of car competitions for example race box standard 1.0L VW Polo's. It's very close stuff, the only way they can pass is by forcing their way through. Couldn't do that in speedway obviously. :lol:

The sealed bit is tough, but other sports use some kind of item that would break when the engine is broken apart (like a unique coloured wax seal). Also the engine and security type bolts could be sprayed a colour to reveal scratch marks if tools have attacked it. They'd have to work with the manufacturer of course, but there are ways to stop it and in all purposes, if a rider was two seconds per race quicker than everyone else....... the machine examiner would pay a visit. :lol:

The idea has its merits, perhaps cheaper up keep for riders.

That said I've watched the A1GP stuff which is based on standard cars (with limited team tuning etc) and the racing is dull.

I also think it would be very difficult to police.

What happens when the engine goes for its first maintenance?