British Speedway Forum

Which Brit Should Get A Wild Card?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there HAS to be a brit, then I'd go with Harris. Best of the brits currently in the GP (not hard, I know...) and made it to the GP challenge and wasn't far off the top 3. Tai WILL be in the GPs but he's the best we have for the future, don't lets push him too soon and bring him to his peak way too early

I think its fair to say that we can discount Scott, Lewis and Danny for consideration for next year

Bomber has suffered from the obsessive slick and dry tracks but if we thought his wildcard for this year was a bit scandalous wait until he gets one despite being behind the likes of walasek and ulamek... ......... I think even IMG will avoid that square block in a round hole

The Brits will definitely get at least one card and the most sensible would be Rico.......... but I guess Tai is fast making a case for himself.............. Ed is improving year on year but isnt quite there yet imo

another consideration is what is happening with the top 10 because this could well decide if the brits get two cards or not ......... if the top 10 stayed the way they are now then I think Holta and Andersen would get WC's.............. this would give the Swedes, the Danes and the Poles 3 each... and the Aussies their usual 2.............. that would then leave IMG with a few options imo... 1) Zagar gets back in (FIM have wanted this for the last year)... 2) Lindback doesnt have to curse Zorro because he gets in anyway 3) GB get a second WC

personally after seeing just how tough the field is probably going to be next year I hope that GB only get one WC and that it goes to Rico...... he knows the prep and infrastructure required and wouldnt have his career damaged by a less than successful season (if it happened)....... this would leave the door open for the likes of Tai and Ed in the future................... I really wouldnt be suprised if GB got two WC's though as BSI/IMG have made their agenda quite plain in recent years and Cardiff remains their cash cow to protect

Edited by spook

i know rico has had a good season, but the mans got zero bottle, his just not good enough either!

putting the youngesters in is a big mistake as well.

out of the top 8 perhasp leigh and greg could give up?.

personally i dont want bomber in next season, but relistically he is the best brit we have by a long way, so to not completely de value the series it would have to be him.

at least he got to the final of the gp challenge and came 5th, no other brit even got neear the final, so if bomber cant make how many points would tai get? feel it would be way to early for him and do him no go!

personally i dont want bomber in next season, but relistically he is the best brit we have by a long way, so to not completely de value the series it would have to be him.

at least he got to the final of the gp challenge and came 5th, no other brit even got neear the final, so if bomber cant make how many points would tai get? feel it would be way to early for him and do him no go!

I guess it depends how you look at it........... tbh I hadnt considered that he is already guaranteed the 17 bib for next year already and this in itself could give IMG all the excuses they need to give Bomber a card ................... if this wasnt given as the reason though then arguably they would be devaluing the competition more by giving someone who finished 15th a WC while they didnt give 13th and 14th wildcards

If I was Bomber then i'd be ruling myself out until Ole moved on anyway as he is his Kryptonite and only serves to highlight his deficiencies

i know rico has had a good season, but the mans got zero bottle, his just not good enough either!

putting the youngesters in is a big mistake as well.

out of the top 8 perhasp leigh and greg could give up?.

Anyone that rides a bike at 60 mph with no brakes has plenty enough bottle for me. Harris will never be really good enough, lets have it right he doesn't even ride in the top league in Polska. The yardstick for any GP nomination IMO. He couldn't even qualify on his home track FFS. :rolleyes:

2011 should be Tai's year but I think emotionally 2010 may be to great a pressure for such a young man.

Above all his impressive scores, great riding ability and organisation, this year Tai has impressed me more with the fact he can really handle pressure as he just gets his head down and gets on with it. I understand it could be a difficult time for him, but for me on ability alone, Tai deserves the spot more than any of the others.

Lets cut it down as really there can only be the choice between Nicholls, Harris, Richardson, Woffinden and Kennett.

Kennett ~ Done well and qualified for Cardiff, but hasn't got that extra spark. 10/1

Nicholls ~ Has looked uniterested all season and now its all but over he is starting to get a few points. 6/1

Harris ~ Has always been a 5 point scorer in the GP's apart from the odd meeting and has had his chances. Time to take a year out. 3/1

Richardson ~ How can you give it to a rider that backed out of the qualifiers. At least Tai gave it a shot and despite a shoulder injury and a crash, he still battled on. Maybe favourite but can't see them giving it to a rider that has failed in past seasons. 6/4

Woffinden ~ BSI and Sky will see him at the English version of Emil and give him the one wild card place for a Brit. 7/4

This years top 9 should be secure, add Zorro, Holder and Hampel and then there are 3 wild card places. Zagar should be one, Woffinden another and the last place could go to Leigh Adams (or they may at least offer him the chance)

This years top 9 should be secure, add Zorro, Holder and Hampel and then there are 3 wild card places. Zagar should be one, Woffinden another and the last place could go to Leigh Adams (or they may at least offer him the chance)

That means you are leaving out Hans Andersen who is currently 10th.

Like it or not, Harris and Nicholls are still probably the best two British riders. If they struggle, then any of the current crop of Brits would struggle.

Sorry Steve, I disagree. Over ten races (for example) I think Tai would beat Chris and Scott in 6 (maybe 7) of those races.

I don't have any stats to back up my opinion, it is purely based on Woffindens current form and superior (from what I have seen) gating ability.

The GP's are being dominated by riders who consistently make the gate, the lack of dirt on the GP tracks rule out any chance of "racers" becoming World Champion - sad but true. For those reasons, I think Tai would be an exciting addition to the GP line-up.

I tend to agree with an earlier post that how can harris get a wild card when he 14th what bout those that finish 9 to 13 that would cause a right storm !! what sort of message is that sending to the brits you can be crap in gp's be british champion and you get back in !! he never actually automaticly qulified by right no i say give another brit a chance .. tai i think ! why is he to young everybody said that about emil 3 gp wins later !!!!!!!

Woffinden rode in the Lonigo GP Quailfier and failed to qualify finishing 7th, T H Jonasson, Schlein and Nieminen all qualified for the semi finals.

He got a 2nd chance in the semi in Motala, due to other riders injuries, but finished on less points than Risager and Gafurov.

Tai seems to have stepped up a gear since then but either way it is way too soon for him.

Anyone that rides a bike at 60 mph with no brakes has plenty enough bottle for me. Harris will never be really good enough, lets have it right he doesn't even ride in the top league in Polska. The yardstick for any GP nomination IMO. He couldn't even qualify on his home track FFS. :rolleyes:

He would if he wasn't a GP rider though.

Edited by superguest

disagree he is the best by a long way and averages dont lie.

I also believe Bomber needs a break away from it, and the only way to push the next generation on is to put them against the worlds best.

Tai has already taken major scalps in all countries and would do no worse in the GP series than we already have - even at his inexperienced level.

Emil, freddie, holder, tai - they are the future of the GP series

Are you certain about that?

I don't recall Leszno or Torun beating down his door, and both of them could have signed another GP rider for this season.

Did they need him? Maybe he wanted to be a full time member and could only offer a few meetings due to their already strong squads.

I'd imagine Bydgoscsz, Zielona Gora, Wroclaw, Gorzow would have picked him had he not been a GP rider.

Edited by superguest

Did they need him? Maybe he wanted to be a full time member and could only offer a few meetings due to their already strong squads.

I'd imagine Bydgoscsz, Zielona Gora, Wroclaw, Gorzow would have picked him had he not been a GP rider.

Well, clearly they didn't need him, or they would have signed him!

The fact that they have, as you suggest, stronger squads without using the "GP star" surely tells you all you need to know about how good he is over there, so I think the original comment about him not being good enough is perfectly valid....

Bydgoszcz may have been interested if he hadn't been a GP rider, and his pay demands were relative to his scoring potential, but I'm unconvinced by the other teams you mention.....Does the fact that Wroclaw preferred to sign Nicholls not tell you exactly how good Bomber is over there?

BTW: I am especially pmsl that you think Zielona Gora might have signed him!

I tend to agree with an earlier post that how can harris get a wild card when he 14th what bout those that finish 9 to 13 that would cause a right storm !! what sort of message is that sending to the brits you can be crap in gp's be british champion and you get back in !! he never actually automaticly qulified by right no i say give another brit a chance .. tai i think ! why is he to young everybody said that about emil 3 gp wins later !!!!!!!

there is a part of me that says age is no issue ...... that Tai on the surface appears to be dealing with the trials that life is throwing up.... so why not next year as well?.......... Emil may also be young but not only was he double U21 world champion but he also has an incredible team around him which no doubt costs a pretty penny

The standard next year is looking like its going to be higher and could well cause some blips in the GP careers of a few..... maybe even end a couple .......... maybe it wouldnt be such a great idea to rush into it