British Speedway Forum

Which Brit Should Get A Wild Card?

Because Iris its common practice now that if i say anything remotely negative about an English rider im accused of being bias and anti Englsih etc. The only English rider to start a GP next year should be the wild card at Cardiff. Just my opinion.

That is my opinion as well.The quicker they take this safety net away and make them work to get into the series the better it will be.Nicholls had it easy for too long and he has payed the price really.Rico and Harris i think have also suffered from thinking they would get a nomination to an extent

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could well be one reason that the "Brits" have been left wanting recently. if, as you say they actually had to earn their places they may well step up their game and be competitive in the series.

Look at Rune Holta for proof of that theory. He knows if he finishes outside of the top 8 it is unlikely he will get a nomination (which shows why the system is so rotten), so therefore he rides his socks off to get in the top 8 each year. Nicholls and Harris always seem to relax, knowing that a near miss gets them a pick anyway.

maybe a year to early but i still say give tai a go.risky maybe but who thought emil would go as well as he has

Perhaps not as well as he has, but it was clear he would do very well.

I cannot believe people are mentioning Tai and Emil in the same sentence. They are miles apart in ability. Ok the law of averages mean that Tai will beat the top boys at some point or other as he faces them so regularly in league meetings. But on a consistancy level over a whole GP series Tai's inexperience will leave him close to the bottom for all to see.

Perhaps not as well as he has, but it was clear he would do very well.

Well you for one CERTAINLY didn't think he was gonna do as well.. :shock: And you've been disparaging about what Emil has achieved..

I don't know, you lot are so set in your ways... You seem to only want the same old faces in this daft series all the time...

If you'd had your way in the past, Peter Collins and Mike Lee would never have even ridden in a World Final - their places would have been taken by Fundin and Knutsson!!!! :rolleyes:

At the risk of being called anti English etc, there is not one English rider that is good enough to be in the GP series. So why not gain more fans by actually showing riders that will challenge for the positions rather than ones that will prop up the rest.

Why would that be anti English when its true?

I cannot believe people are mentioning Tai and Emil in the same sentence. They are miles apart in ability. Ok the law of averages mean that Tai will beat the top boys at some point or other as he faces them so regularly in league meetings. But on a consistancy level over a whole GP series Tai's inexperience will leave him close to the bottom for all to see.

This is the problem with a lot of Brits,that they see things in isolation......how long ago was it that so many were raging about Bridger being a super talent and a future World Champ?????He might still make it too that level.I won't write him off totally just yet.But where did this super talent finish in the recent World U21 final?And has he ever finished on the rostrum at any previous World U21 Final?Tai is no doubt a great prospect.But i have seen a few prospects in Denmark as well.I am sure LiGlad will be challenging for U19/U21 honours next year.And Mikkel Michelsen and Mikkel B.Jensen are fantastic prospects who will make their debuts next year on 500cc.....

This is the problem with a lot of Brits,that they see things in isolation......how long ago was it that so many were raging about Bridger being a super talent and a future World Champ?????He might still make it too that level.I won't write him off totally just yet.But where did this super talent finish in the recent World U21 final?And has he ever finished on the rostrum at any previous World U21 Final?Tai is no doubt a great prospect.But i have seen a few prospects in Denmark as well.I am sure LiGlad will be challenging for U19/U21 honours next year.And Mikkel Michelsen and Mikkel B.Jensen are fantastic prospects who will make their debuts next year on 500cc.....

Hmm, whereas in the alternative universe you live in, apparently Lee Richardson IS a world beater!!!! :rolleyes:

Hmm, whereas in the alternative universe you live in, apparently Lee Richardson IS a world beater!!!! :rolleyes:

His averages in Poland and Sweden this season suggest that is actually the case. But then if you don't believe speedway exists outside of GB then I suppose you wouldn't know that......

Would be better to read what i wrote Parsloes :rolleyes:

And i think you will find Peter Collins and Michael Lee,even Ronnie Moore qualified for the World Final.If i am not mistaken Tai got knocked out in the quali rounds.So what point are you trying to make?He had a chance and failed.......

I think you're being a little harsh on Iris. This is Denmark or Poland we are talking about. There isnt an endless sea of talent. When it comes to picking a "Brit" to ride at the GP level you dont really have much choice. 3-4 guys max therefore you are bound to start seeing the same names etc. Also as mentioned Lee is proving he can score at the top with his continental form.

And i think you will find Peter Collins and Michael Lee,even Ronnie Moore qualified for the World Final.If i am not mistaken Tai got knocked out in the quali rounds.So what point are you trying to make?He had a chance and failed.......

But in their day the qualifying rounds didn't just see three riders through did they..?!! Er, and by your logic Richardson ALSO hasn't qualified, so where are you coming from with that.!! :blink:

At the end of the day, I stand by what I said - you lot (ie you and Blazeaway and fellow travellers) just want the comfort blanket of the same dull old faces in your beloved GPs. None of you believed Emil would score a point: he's a shoo-in for a rostrum position; and none of you think Tai will avoid last place. Can I point this out again when you're eating humble pie when Tai becomes the next Brit also to finish in a WC top three. Something we shall NOT be seeing Messrs Harris, Nicholls and Richardson ever doing!! :rolleyes:

My opinion is that there is currently no GB rider that deserves to be in the GP series on riding merit.

So,if we are going to have 1 rider in,then i think it should be Richardson.Firstly because at the moment Nicholls has failed miserably and Harris after showing some promise in his first year is also out of his depth and needs to have a break.That leaves Lee as our best rider at the moment.

He is not being harsh,he is being stupid.There is my post about the nomination and Lee.If you can make from that that i think Richardson is a world beater then show me Parsloes :blink:

Again Parsloes try reading what people are saying,it helps with forum discussions ya know!!!! Is anyone writing tai off for the future?So why will we be eating humble pie?I hope he does finish on the rostrum.People are just saying next year is too early.Not that he will never make it.Blimey you come out with some ........And as for Lee not qualifying.You are right.But it was unfortunately (or fortunately),make your mind, up an illness that stopped his progress,not other riders.So i guess on that basis he does have a tenuous claim over the others.If you want to carry on it would help if you read and respond to what is written,not what the voices in your head are telling you :blink:

Edited by iris123

But in their day the qualifying rounds didn't just see three riders through did they..?!! Er, and by your logic Richardson ALSO hasn't qualified, so where are you coming from with that.!! :blink:

At the end of the day, I stand by what I said - you lot (ie you and Blazeaway and fellow travellers) just want the comfort blanket of the same dull old faces in your beloved GPs. None of you believed Emil would score a point: he's a shoo-in for a rostrum position; and none of you think Tai will avoid last place. Can I point this out again when you're eating humble pie when Tai becomes the next Brit also to finish in a WC top three. Something we shall NOT be seeing Messrs Harris, Nicholls and Richardson ever doing!! :rolleyes:

Haven't got the time or inclination to trawl back through threads from a year ago, but I certainly don't remember people being disparaging of Emil's chances. From memory, the majority accepted the validity of his wild card on the back of his 2 Under-21 World Championships and felt that he would be an asset to the GP's. Personally, I didn't think he would do quite so well as he has, but I think its fair to say that his previous Under 21 performances showed he was an exceptional talent with a quality back up team.

I think Tai, if given a chance, would be competitive at the top level and would be a more interesting proposition than Nicholls, Harris or Richardson.

There's going to be a 3 round U21 GP series next year, it would be better to have a strong GB presence in that series, and blood the young riders there, than put them in the SGP, and then hang them out to dry when you feel they are out of their depth.

Another season on there is more probability the older riders are going to go from the GP scene

There's going to be a 3 round U21 GP series next year, it would be better to have a strong GB presence in that series, and blood the young riders there, than put them in the SGP, and then hang them out to dry when you feel they are out of their depth.

Another season on there is more probability the older riders are going to go from the GP scene

Great !! even more disruption to racing in this country then next year and this time probably affecting the PL as well. Presumably SGP & the FI whatever are really looking to kill the sport off here.

The main criteria for the nomination should be whether they can make consistently good starts. As has been evidenced this year overtaking has been rare with most races processional. With the possibility of 3 GPs in Poland next year the organisers are clearly desperate for a Polish World Champion (and the gate receipts!), which despite all the plaudits on their strengths, they have failed to deliver since the early 1970s.