British Speedway Forum

Ole Olsen Youtube Clip

Ross

Iris123, I do agree with you that Morten Hansen and Arne Pander were world class riders in their day.

Qualifying for World Finals years ago was very much harder then today, where if you finish in the top eight places or if your face fits the right GP criteria you are in. Even Ole himself and other World Champions in the past never qualified for the following seasons final.

Speedway would still exist in Denmark even if Ole never rode a bike, but I don’t think this nation would be as strong as they are now, without his influence.

As for Argentina, I know that speedway has been running their but not in massive (ie having teams in World Cups or other major International competitions) for many years, and long may it continue I say.

It would also be good for speedway if other nations that has have much success like New Zealand and the USA having a strong complimentary of riders challenging for titles. And it also is nice to see them back in the World Cup challenging for the title again. I remember the day at White City in 1979 when New Zealand won. They surely would have won many more titles if their riders didn’t have to ride for Great Britain.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Sep 16 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Argentina, I know that speedway has been running their but not in massive (ie having teams in World Cups or other major International competitions) for many years, and long may it continue I say.

Funny you mention this,because there was a rumour on the net a few days back that Argentina have applied to enter next years SWC.Whether there is any truth or whether they have much chance of being accepted i don't know.

This reminded me of the Golden Helmet decider held at King's Lynn in 74(?).

Phil Crump v Olsen: 4 valve v 2 valve.

Olsen won, but the writing was on the wall and engine innovation led speedway into a new era.

Whether it was a better one is another discussion altogether.

Interesting comment from the commentator (Lanning?).

Ole Olsen the last of an era as now the machinery is starting to become more important than the rider (or something along those lines). How true that comment has turned out to be.

I sometimes wonder about all of these technical developments in speedway. Yesterday I read somewhere that Berwick's track record is still held by - wait for it - Steve McDermott! This must mean that either the bikes are getting no faster or else the tracks are getting slower. I wonder which it is?

I sometimes wonder about all of these technical developments in speedway. Yesterday I read somewhere that Berwick's track record is still held by - wait for it - Steve McDermott! This must mean that either the bikes are getting no faster or else the tracks are getting slower. I wonder which it is?

Ian, The bikes are definately faster now. They probably have a good second a lap advantage over the last of the uprights.. But.. I think the deep tracks suited the uprights and the laydowns are too much of a handful to race a consistent four fast laps on anything deep. So, he probably set the record on a deep track. How long did Neilsens track record stand at Oxford? He was on an upright correct? Could be wrong, dead brain cells. My gosh, a hybrid modern bike with the latest short stroke engines, latest forks in an upright frame on a really deep track with a capable racer would be really interesting. :wink:

p.s. how have the residuals been going from the old music? has the trend toward hip hop and rap cut them back and if so are you going to have to downsize to a smaller boat without air conditioning and ice maker?

Check out the size of that crowd at Brandon! Awesome!

Bet Mr Sandhu wouldn't mind a crowd like that these days! :lol:

I might have even been there but i would have only been 4 so i can't remember... will have to ask the old man!

Great video, thanks for sharing it with us.

p.s. how have the residuals been going from the old music? has the trend toward hip hop and rap cut them back and if so are you going to have to downsize to a smaller boat without air conditioning and ice maker?

Things ain't what they used to be on the old royalty front, Sandman. The main problem has been free music sites on the web. It's OK until it hits you in the pocket.

Smaller boat? No aircon? No icemaker? Come on! You won't be happy until I'm reduced to sitting in a sailboat waiting to see whether the wind blows. In fact, if I ever make another album I'll name it after you Sandman. "Waiting to see whether the wind blows".

Things ain't what they used to be on the old royalty front, Sandman. The main problem has been free music sites on the web. It's OK until it hits you in the pocket.

Smaller boat? No aircon? No icemaker? Come on! You won't be happy until I'm reduced to sitting in a sailboat waiting to see whether the wind blows. In fact, if I ever make another album I'll name it after you Sandman. "Waiting to see whether the wind blows".

i dunno.. that last album you were a part of years ago kind of sucked. (no offence). but you of all people know late morning and afternoons the wind blows except when ya get becalmed. still its better that getting pooped mid ocean, besides, when things are a bit tough :wink: a set of sails are cheaper than diesel.

anyway, anybody else notice how the tracks were slick in these old films? even norden, where Ole gets covered in wet shale there is still dust? still, Ole had a really great style. and why do all the danes talk with a kiwi accent when they speak english?

Check the date on the newspaper you were reading . :rolleyes: Not the case Im afraid :wink:

Check the date on the newspaper you were reading . :rolleyes: Not the case Im afraid :wink:

"dear mr. shell answer man..why do all the danish speedway racers speak english with a kiwi accent?" answer... they don't! kiwi speedway racers speak english with a danish accent, mr. smart pants. quite simple really. :rolleyes::wink:

Edited by sandman

i dunno.. that last album you were a part of years ago kind of sucked. (no offence). but you of all people know late morning and afternoons the wind blows except when ya get becalmed. still its better that getting pooped mid ocean, besides, when things are a bit tough :wink: a set of sails are cheaper than diesel.

It wasn't the greatest album ever, was it? Actually, that was part of what was reported at the time to be "artistic differences" which led to my departure. There are times when you just have to do your own thing. A bit like sailing, really.

I know 26 years is along time but the bit at 6.38 into the clip about how he owes so much to England !! The gp`s have shafted England big time.

Absolutely 100% disagree.Olsen might not be everyones cup of tea at the moment,but the state of speedway in GB can't be blamed on him.Look at the promoters who have run the sport into the ground since well.......i would say the 1940s :rolleyes: ....but the recent promoters also have done a fair bit of damage

And anyway,i think he has payed England back enough by continually giving Nicholls a wildcard into the GPs :wink:

Edited by iris123

Absolutely 100% disagree.Olsen might not be everyones cup of tea at the moment,but the state of speedway in GB can't be blamed on him.Look at the promoters who have run the sport into the ground since well.......i would say the 1940s :rolleyes: ....but the recent promoters also have done a fair bit of damage

And anyway,i think he has payed England back enough by continually giving Nicholls a wildcard into the GPs :wink:

Did he not suggest shutting down British Speedway for a season or to a while back

Totally agree. It is galling when all speedway’s ill’s are seemingly being blamed on a very talented speedway rider with a wonderful style, and who was very unlucky to have not been a four times world champion and who publicly recognises this country as the making of him.

His Job with the FIM; no doubt he does the best as he sees it but he makes mistakes - as we all do. It has also been stated on here that his position with the FIM does not have the autonomy that some might think either.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Totally agree. It is galling when all speedway’s ill’s are seemingly being blamed on a very talented speedway rider with a wonderful style, and who was very unlucky to have not been a four times world champion and who publicly recognises this country as the making of him.

His Job with the FIM; no doubt he does the best as he sees it but he makes mistakes - as we all do. It has also been stated on here that his position with the FIM does not have the autonomy that some might think either.

He also retired a lot better off than 99% of riders do to quote Lannning "he is retiring a millionaire" IMO he has run things for his own benefit .I don't knock him for that but he is no saint he has merely taken advantage of the sport like that midget in the wig has in F1.I don't supose he cares what people think he is too busy counting the cash which I am sure out weighs in his mind how popular he is with the s/way public.