British Speedway Forum

Future of the GP's...?

HUMPHREY …

SPEEDWAY’S World Championship is property of the FIM not the promoters

of the various speedway nations and SVEMO and the PZM (unlike the BSPA

of course) are affiliated national associations of not just speedway

but all forms of motorcycle racing in their respective countries.

If, for example, the BSPA set up its own series any riders taking part

would not be licenced by the FIM and unable to take part in any other

speedway or motorcycle racing outside of the UK.

British representation at the FIM is through the ACU and they, like

SVEMO, the PZM and the DMU, can make their voices heard in Geneva

should they object to the selling of the SGP commercial rights to BSI

and now IMG.

The FIM’s income from the Grand Prix comes not only from their

contract with IMG, which more than covers prize money, but also the

inscription fees charged to each staging track. I am not sure what

that is but it is in the region of $20,000.

As with revenue from all other motorcycle disciplines, it goes into

the FIM pot and we could discuss all night what happens to it after

that. IMG would surely argue that they make a contribution to those

actually running the sport at all levels via the FIM and if it doesn’t

filter down then it is in Switzerland that the questions need to be

asked.

Owning the commercial rights does not give IMG total control. IMG own

the rights to the Rugby World Cup but I doubt they would be allowed to

move the goalposts if they wanted.

They can no more control what happens on the rugby field than they can

what on a speedway track. It is a partnership each with its own

clearly defined role.

Of course, they would hope to influence certain aspects but, as with

the proposed new silencer regulations, the FIM have the final say.

PHILIP RISING

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to Thank Mr Rising for taking the time to come on here and

try to give us an insight into the world of the Speedway GP series.

I did enjoy the old One Off World Finals, but as with most things these days, progress

means change, which is fine, but if the 'New' product is failing, then someone in

authority needs to take a long hard look at the product and take on board the need

to improve it.

The GP presentation, Start line Girls, parades etc etc are fine, but the actual racing is

nothing short of sterile and its turning fans off the series very quickly.

Track preperation is not that difficult, regardless of weather, humidity etc etc.

Any half decent trackman, with the correct tools, will produce a good honest surface,

that will allow the riders to race at a decent level, even those that cant gate to save

their lives. I've done the job with very little in the way of materials and always

managed to produce a 'racers' track. If you put the effort in, you get the rewards.

As for the 'Invited' riders, thats a sham. Did the World Champion automatically

qualify when we did have the One Off World Final? No of course not, he had to

qualify by right, the same as any other rider that entered the World Championship.

Ok, its too late to alter the setup as far as the top 8 goes, although I think that it

should be reduced to the top 6 and let the rest qualify by right through a proper

series of qualifying rounds. If a rider doesnt take that option and fails to make the top

6 on merit, thats his tough luck. Absolutely NO more Wild Card entries, with the exception of the one chosen for his 'Home' GP, as it is now.

What we should be seeing, in my own opinion, is a series of one off World Final type rounds, which I assume was the vision when the GP series first started. Somewhere along the line it got waylaid and we now have the farcical situation we see now.

Riders given a free entry to our sports World Championship, because they ride for a certain country, ie: GB or Poland, why?? If they are good enough, they will qualify for the series by right and in the correct manner. A country will have a representative of their own in their own GP, when it comes around, so why should a better rider be ommitted because of his nationality? Yes I would like to see a BG rider in the series each year, but if they're not good enough, they dont belong in there.

Another thing that rankles with me, is this aspect of a rider racing on a national licence

of another country. Ride under your own country's flag or dont bother.

In a nutshell, get some dirt/grip onto the GP tracks and allow good honest qualification

for the series on merit, not a gift. Then we may start to see a true World Championship

contest.

And as a final comment on track preperation, agreed, some British tracks, well more than

some if I'm being honest, are no better than the dross we see for a GP, there is no excuse

for that either. A well prepared track gives good racing and will entice paying fans back

to the sport. Slick gate and go rubbish will kill the sport. Its only a matter of time.

Edited by tomcat

I would also like to Thank Mr Rising for taking the time to come on here and

try to give us an insight into the world of the Speedway GP series.

I did enjoy the old One Off World Finals, but as with most things these days, progress

means change, which is fine, but if the 'New' product is failing, then someone in

authority needs to take a long hard look at the product and take on board the need

to improve it.

The GP presentation, Start line Girls, parades etc etc are fine, but the actual racing is

nothing short of sterile and its turning fans off the series very quickly.

Track preperation is not that difficult, regardless of weather, humidity etc etc.

Any half decent trackman, with the correct tools, will produce a good honest surface,

that will allow the riders to race at a decent level, even those that cant gate to save

their lives. I've done the job with very little in the way of materials and always

managed to produce a 'racers' track. If you put the effort in, you get the rewards.

As for the 'Invited' riders, thats a sham. Did the World Champion automatically

qualify when we did have the One Off World Final? No of course not, he had to

qualify by right, the same as any other rider that entered the World Championship.

Ok, its too late to alter the setup as far as the top 8 goes, although I think that it

should be reduced to the top 6 and let the rest qualify by right through a proper

series of qualifying rounds. If a rider doesnt take that option and fails to make the top

6 on merit, thats his tough luck. Absolutely NO more Wild Card entries, with the exception of the one chosen for his 'Home' GP, as it is now.

What we should be seeing, in my own opinion, is a series of one off World Final type rounds, which I assume was the vision when the GP series first started. Somewhere along the line it got waylaid and we now have the farcical situation we see now.

Riders given a free entry to our sports World Championship, because they ride for a certain country, ie: GB or Poland, why?? If they are good enough, they will qualify for the series by right and in the correct manner. A country will have a representative of their own in their own GP, when it comes around, so why should a better rider be ommitted because of his nationality? Yes I would like to see a BG rider in the series each year, but if they're not good enough, they dont belong in there.

Another thing that rankles with me, is this aspect of a rider racing on a national licence

of another country. Ride under your own country's flag or dont bother.

In a nutshell, get some dirt/grip onto the GP tracks and allow good honest qualification

for the series on merit, not a gift. Then we may start to see a true World Championship

contest.

And as a final comment on track preperation, agreed, some British tracks, well more than

some if I'm being honest, are no better than the dross we see for a GP, there is no excuse

for that either. A well prepared track gives good racing and will entice paying fans back

to the sport. Slick gate and go rubbish will kill the sport. Its only a matter of time.

You need to check your history before making silly statements, plenty of riders were seeded to the later stages of the championship and some even to the final itself

Crowd Figures

In the past the FIM published attendance figures for all motorcycle world championship finals, including speedway, in the first issue of their magazine each year. From these figures I was able to find out attendance figures for 97 of the first 100 GP’s (only missing Linkopping 95, Hackney 96 and Wroclaw 96). This year they decided in their wisdom not to publish these figures and Oliver Godallier the FIM Marketing and Communications Director told me that if I want the figures for 2008 to go to the promoters website www.speedwayworld.tv I have contacted Nicola Sands the speedway press officer at BSI/IMG twice, in May and August, asking for the figures for 2008 but so far I have had no response so I assume that BSI/IMG are unable or unwilling to release the figures into the public domain.

In post 17 Phillip Rising states that the attendance in Latvia in 2009 was the best to date and in post 24 he says that he was informed that the figure was 6000. According to official FIM attendance figures in 2006 the attendance at Daugavpils was 9000 and this dropped to 7000 in 2007.

In post 17 Mr Rising states that the 2009 attendance was up 2008, a figure which is not as yet in the public domain and in post 24 the 2009 figures is given as 8800. Based on FIM figures from 2002-2007 the average attendance at Krsko was 8166 and ranged from 12000 in 2002 to 7000 in 2005 & 2006. For a full breakdown for the first 100 GP’s attendance figures see www.speedwayfan.co.uk

So the question is will anyone contracted directly or indirectly with BSI/IMG be prepared to release attendance figures for the 2008 and 2009 GP’s?

MoneyNo doubt the SGP makes a good product to sell to TV companies throughout the world, although one is bound to ask why then IMG seem unable to sell the air fence advertising. At most GP’s a large percentage of the airfence ads are the upcoming GP’s and how many international companies are associated with the GP’s?

Also who gains from the large viewing figures, 100 million in India? One assumes that BSI/IMG get income from the TV rights but how much goes to the workers, the riders risking their lives. Up to and including the GP at Vojens in 2009 the riders had earned on average per GP as follows

Crump $11,000, Sayfutdinov $8000, Gollob $6200, Hancock $5900, Jonsson $5500, Lindgren $5100, Bjerre £5100, Andersen $4500, Holta $4300, Adams $4000, Ulamek $4000, Harris $3843, Pedersen $5125, Walasek $3600 and Nicholls $3400 with the average exchange rate being £1=$1.52 and these figures cover all riders expenses, travelling, accommodation and points.

When was the last time that the riders had an increase in the money they earned and are BSI/IMG planning to increase the monies that riders can earn. For a breakdown of what riders have earned from previous GP series see www.speedwayfan.co.uk

You need to check your history before making silly statements, plenty of riders were seeded to the later stages of the championship and some even to the final itself

Hmm, whilst it is the case that sometimes the Poles, for example, selected their reps in a WF the point holds that rider no matter what their status could rely on being 'seeded' straight through to a Final... So it's you who needs to be more accurate with your statements... :rolleyes:

There is no question that the old WF system was better in every respect than the GPs...: I think more and more people are waking up to this fact by the day... :approve:

Hmm, whilst it is the case that sometimes the Poles, for example, selected their reps in a WF the point holds that rider no matter what their status could rely on being 'seeded' straight through to a Final... So it's you who needs to be more accurate with your statements... :rolleyes:

There is no question that the old WF system was better in every respect than the GPs...: I think more and more people are waking up to this fact by the day... :approve:

Really, you dont go back in the sport as far as I do but I suggest you research that fact

According to the History on the world Speedway finals by Maurice Jones. Peter Craven was seeded direct to Wembley as the reining champion in 1956. As was Barry Briggs in ‘58 & ‘59 and Ronnie Moore in 1960.

Hope that helps.

According to the History on the world Speedway finals by Maurice Jones. Peter Craven was seeded direct to Wembley as the reining champion in 1956. As was Barry Briggs in ‘58 & ‘59 and Ronnie Moore in 1960.

Hope that helps.

But according to Derek it never happened Jim!

They were not the only ones by the way

Hope that helps.

Fascinating information Jim and something I'd not picked-up on. I feel it was as wrong then as it is now though.

Rob McCaffery.

But according to Derek it never happened Jim!

They were not the only ones by the way

Weren't all five Poles seeded in 1973? They had a qualifying criterion and Jerzy Szczakiel just made it in fifth. The Poles thought about swapping Szczakiel for another rider, as they thought he would be totally outclassed in the World Final - instead he was the best rider on the day (and yes he was riding better than Mauger even before the run-off) and won the final.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Fascinating information Jim and something I'd not picked-up on. I feel it was as wrong then as it is now though.

Rob McCaffery.

Rob, it was only the World Champion who was seeded though - and surely there's some justification in that. The practice didn't last for that long - it began (I think) with Craven in 1956 and lasted until some point in the 1960s.

I'm pretty sure the Swedes and Poles seeded their riders through when they were the hosts of World Finals during the 1970s. Can anyone else back this up or disprove it?

I'm almost certain Jan Andersson was seeded to the 1980 World Final.

And in 1977, Peter Collins was seeded to the Inter-Continental Final.

All the best

Rob

Weren't all five Poles seeded in 1973? They had a qualifying criterion and Jerzy Szczakiel just made it in fifth. The Poles thought about swapping Szczakiel for another rider, as they thought he would be totally outclassed in the World Final - instead he was the best rider on the day (and yes he was riding better than Mauger even before the run-off) and won the final.

All the best

Rob

Seeding in one form or another existed right throughout the championships.

The Swedes had five guaranteed places in the 1974 Final, the brits had 4 in 1978. Admittedly a qualyfying process was used to determine these places but it wasn't the open qualifying system that Derek seems to think.

The problem with open qualifying was evident at the 1976 and 1982 World Team Cup Finals, no home riders = no crowd

Rob, it was only the World Champion who was seeded though - and surely there's some justification in that. The practice didn't last for that long - it began (I think) with Craven in 1956 and lasted until some point in the 1960s.

I'm pretty sure the Swedes and Poles seeded their riders through when they were the hosts of World Finals during the 1970s. Can anyone else back this up or disprove it?

I'm almost certain Jan Andersson was seeded to the 1980 World Final.

And in 1977, Peter Collins was seeded to the Inter-Continental Final.

All the best

Rob

No Jan Anderrson won the Swedish Final which quaified him direct to the final, the 4 next placed riders continued the qualification process via the Nordic Final

The problem with open qualifying was evident at the 1976 and 1982 World Team Cup Finals, no home riders = no crowd

This raises the question whether an event is worth staging if it can't stand in its own feet without having local interest artificially guaranteed.

Rob McCaffery.

No Jan Anderrson won the Swedish Final which quaified him direct to the final, the 4 next placed riders continued the qualification process via the Nordic Final

I guess that's slightly different, but it still meant he skipped the tough Nordic and Inter-Continental rounds.

Of course, "flying" Dutchman Henny Kroeze was seeded to the 1987 World Final :wink: (After being eliminated from the qualifiers). Actually I think the Poles were seeded in 1986 & 1992 as well - again after being eliminated.

Ironic that these days it's the Brits who rely on seeding - and shows how far down the totem pole we've slipped.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

This raises the question whether an event is worth staging if it can't stand in its own feet without having local interest artificially guaranteed.

Rob McCaffery.

Even though such seedings were prevalent at the time the USA had no such luxury when staging the world final in LA. As it happened (and how it happened is of course another story) they had 3 finalists and the event still bombed, although only by the standards of the day because it still had 30,000 plus attending, how many paid is another matter

I guess that's slightly different, but it still meant he skipped the tough Nordic and Inter-Continental rounds.

Of course, "flying" Dutchman Henny Kroeze was seeded to the 1987 World Final :wink: (After being eliminated from the qualifiers). Actually I think the Poles were seeded in 1986 & 1992 as well - again after being eliminated.

Ironic that these days it's the Brits who rely on seeding - and shows how far down the totem pole we've slipped.

All the best

Rob

Zenon Plech, Edward Jancarz, Marek Cieslak & Jerzy Rembas were all seeded to the 1976 world final. Slawomir Drabik was seeded straight to the 92 Final. Ryszard Dolomisiewicz was the seed in 86

As far as I recall in 76 those 4 poles didn't take part in the qualification system but Drabik & Dolomisiewicz certainly did and failed to qualify

Wonder when Derek will be back cap in hand to apologise for stating none of this ever happened!!!!!!!

Edited by jeff...

Even though such seedings were prevalent at the time the USA had no such luxury when staging the world final in LA. As it happened (and how it happened is of course another story) they had 3 finalists and the event still bombed, although only by the standards of the day because it still had 30,000 plus attending, how many paid is another matter

Of course, they would have been guaranteed one finalist, but imagine if e.g. Kelly Moran had qualified and Bruce Penhall been eliminated.

And to get those 3 finalists, Penhall threw the 1982 Overseas Final. I was a big Penhall fan, and even as a child, I knew what had happened. Penhall had been told what to do by the US bigwigs - it was obvious. I was almost in tears by the end of that meeting, as even the Cradley fans turned against him. And then Carter was grinning ear-to-ear on the truck as Penhall recevied a torrent of abuse from the fans - which gave me yet another reason to dislike Carter.

So: rather than that unsavoury situation, would it have been better to seed 3 US riders to the 1982 World Final? It goes against most the principles of most people, including my own, but are principles as important as attracting a crowd? Food for thought.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam