British Speedway Forum

The 2009 National League Riders' Championship

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This meeting couldn't have been closer, and luck played its part. Congratulations to the winner, but hard luck for Kyle Hughes who shed a chain in the run off for first place. In the run off for 3rd place Jerran was the unlucky one. Hard luck Jerran!....So many falls suggests the track not up to standard?

Chris Van Stratten and any savvy British Promoter,, get Cookie signed, spens as much money on him as you would a foreign rider and you wont regret it. I've followed speedway for thirty years and this guy is one hell of a prospect, get behind him he wont let you down

So many falls suggests the track not up to standard?

Not really, ..Most falls were caused by poor riding ..... The usual suspects had trouble staying upright, including James Cockle who must have gone to the same training school as Tommy Allen.

You could've dispensed with the 20 heats and just had Herne, Cook, Hart and Hughes in a final, the field was that poor apart from those four ..... Perhaps Rye House is the wrong track to use for this type of meeting as most of the riders on show didn't have the skill to ride it.

Very bad luck for Kyle Hughes who was one bend away from being crowned the NL champion before his chain snapped.

Glad to see four youngsters at the top of the standings.

Kyle Hughes will be in demand from a few PL sides next year, much improved since his disasterous season with Sheffield.

Congratulations to Craig Cook on his victory

Just got back from this (I must be mad as I've hardly any time to sleep before PLRC then work!)

Hard lines to Hughes, he just about had Cookie licked when throwing his chain, but I must congratulate him on how well he took it. A lot of riders would have spat their dummy out over it, but Kyle jumped off his bike and congratulated Craig. A good sport of the highest order.

The meeting itself was rather crap, with only the interest of Cook keeping me awake (the caffeine in the coffee Shadders bought me may have helped).

This meeting needs a new venue. I'd nominate Scunny - it's fair and everyone can ride it = less falls = less delays = I get home earlier :wink:

Chris Van Stratten and any savvy British Promoter,, get Cookie signed, spens as much money on him as you would a foreign rider and you wont regret it. I've followed speedway for thirty years and this guy is one hell of a prospect, get behind him he wont let you down

Craig is already signed to Workington.

!....So many falls suggests the track not up to standard?

Not really, ..Most falls were caused by poor riding ..... The usual suspects had trouble staying upright, including James Cockle who must have gone to the same training school as Tommy Allen.

The track was like an Ice Rink to start with, that’s what caused so many riders to struggle at the beginning. This is not the first meeting where the track has started off in this way and rider’s ability had nothing to do with the majority of falls. The track did get better as the meeting went on with all the grading.

I do however agree about Cockle.

This meeting did drag on with all the stoppages which was a shame, but some indifferent referee decisions did not do anything to help.

The top four were easy to pick it was just a case of which order they finished in.

Only one race line meant very little passing but the top four proved they could gate.

Very well done to Cookie, and congrats to Kyle, Jay and Jerran.

Edited by BossMan

Never mind Kyle, you've proved you're the best rider in the NL
Apparently not

I was cricified for suggesting that Joe Haines was the best British under 18 rider after Friday nights meeting at Scunthorpe ..... I await similar comments coming your way very soon.

Please please please change the venue.Track was rubbish at the start and spoilt the meeting imo.Hard luck on Kyle,but this result shows how much he has improved this season.Well done to Craig Cook.What a season the lad has had.

Any news on how Mark Simmonds is??

I enjoyed the meeting,congrats to the top 4.

However that referee. This ref is by far the worst i have ever seen. Have to say Dave Watters is a close 2nd. The starts where awful all night,red lights where put on in panic mode and excluding riders wrongly! Just a normal meeting then for Ms Vardey!

Please please please change the venue.Track was rubbish at the start and spoilt the meeting imo
Best move it to a venue where they don't have to control the throttle as much, because most of them haven't a clue on last nights showing.

Please please please change the venue.Track was rubbish at the start and spoilt the meeting imo.Hard luck on Kyle,but this result shows how much he has improved this season.Well done to Craig Cook.What a season the lad has had.

Any news on how Mark Simmonds is??

Good news is that i have been told Mark hasn't broken anything, but will not be riding up at Buxton in the playoff semi final today. He has his leg in plaster as a precaution, until he gets further checks at his local hospital in Cornwall. Get well soon Mark!

Never mind Kyle, you've proved you're the best rider in the NL and hopefully the PL teams will be queueing up to sign you in 2010

Has he? There are ten or so riders above him in the NL averages ;)

Hughes really seems to have turned his career round this season.....good luck to the lad in the PL next year.

The track was like an Ice Rink to start with, that’s what caused so many riders to struggle at the beginning. This is not the first meeting where the track has started off in this way and rider’s ability had nothing to do with the majority of falls. The track did get better as the meeting went on with all the grading.

I do however agree about Cockle.

This meeting did drag on with all the stoppages which was a shame, but some indifferent referee decisions did not do anything to help.

The top four were easy to pick it was just a case of which order they finished in.

Only one race line meant very little passing but the top four proved they could gate.

Very well done to Cookie, and congrats to Kyle, Jay and Jerran.

Totally agree with your assessment, thats how I saw it. Track wasnt good to start with and placing all the blame on the riders is wrong.

Agree with others you had said maybe it is time to move the event, maybe with four teams based in the south, plus Newport just into Wales, Swindon could be a possible future venue I know Scunny has been mentioned but it already holds the U18'S.

Can't say it was an enjoyable meeting at all, seemed to go on forever, and with little to excite the crowd, all in all pretty boring.

Terrible bad luck for Kyle Hughes, but thats speedway and it was good to see him and Cook congratulate/commiserate with each other immediately after the race. Congratulations to Craig Cook on his victory, a fast improving rider, although standing on the first bend he looked lucky to not be excluded against Jerran Hart, there is riding a rider wide but!

Not sure Kyle is the best rider in the NL Rob :unsure: Cook, Herne and Hart would be better at the moment imo, plus some others but he has made great strides this year, and look forward to seeing him in PL next season, maybe at Rye, he certainly impressed against Edinburgh last saturday

Edited by PhilK

Apparently not

I was crucified for suggesting that Joe Haines was the best British under 18 rider after Friday nights meeting at Scunthorpe ..... I await similar comments coming your way very soon.

I wasn't one to crucify you but did make a comment......I still carry a soft spot for Joe, as I do for all our champ C//L side....For the under 18 Champ; Jerran and Joe were leading the field both winning their heats by faster times than the PL riders in the league. One of Jerrans heats was the 2nd fastes heat time at EWR this year ( according to our web site ). When Joe beat Jerran in their heat Jerran knew he had to pull a good one out in the final. That he did, superb race- Joe chose outside gate and Jerran was on the inside, Jerran got to the front off the 2nd bend and that was it, he was gone. With riders champ; I take aboad what your saying....Like I say luck plays its part in speedway.

Totally agree with your assessment, thats how I saw it. Track wasnt good to start with and placing all the blame on the riders is wrong.

Agree with others you had said maybe it is time to move the event, maybe with four teams based in the south, plus Newport just into Wales, Swindon could be a possible future venue I know Scunny has been mentioned but it already holds the U18'S.

Can't say it was an enjoyable meeting at all, seemed to go on forever, and with little to excite the crowd, all in all pretty boring.

Terrible bad luck for Kyle Hughes, but thats speedway and it was good to see him and Cook congratulate/commiserate with each other immediately after the race. Congratulations to Craig Cook on his victory, a fast improving rider, although standing on the first bend he looked lucky to not be excluded against Jerran Hart, there is riding a rider wide but!

Not sure Kyle is the best rider in the NL Rob :unsure: Cook, Herne and Hart would be better at the moment imo, plus some others but he has made great strides this year, and look forward to seeing him in PL next season, maybe at Rye, he certainly impressed against Edinburgh last saturday

Yep,I totally agree with you Phil.

Genuinely gutted for Kyle.Did absolutely everything right in the run off,only for the chain to go on the last bend.Extremely unlucky.

Meeting spolied by very poor refereeing.

Congratulations to Cookie on a fine,if fortunate win.