British Speedway Forum

The 2009 National League Riders' Championship

A forlorn hope...but wondering if there was any hint of a line-up yet for the NLRC on the 26th at Rye House?

The PL have announced theirs, but I haven't seen anything yet about the more interesting event a day earlier? ;)

Anyone out there with the skinny on the news? :)

Edited by rabbit

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it is the top rider from each team by the Green Sheeet averages. Plus the defending Champion but he is covered by the top rider from each team, now anyway - Benji Compton.

The field then made up from the next six highest average riders from wherever I think. I believ that there is a qualification of 50% of the League matches.

So that would mean:

Jay Herne

Mark Simmonds

Simon Lambert

Barrie Evans

Daniel Halsey

Craig Cook

Adam Allott

Nick Simmons

Tony Atkin

Benji Compton

Plus Six more

This is very unofficial but these are the top GSA riders for each team.

Malcolm Vasey

Thanks Swift Saint...why do I feel I should call you Saint Malcolm? ;)

Looks a handy line-up even at this stage. Plenty of entertainers in there for sure and a definite visit to Hoddesdon planned.

Would love an open meeting with all the top NL guys down here instead of the Blue Riband, but this will do more than nicely. :approve:

Would love an open meeting with all the top NL guys down here instead of the Blue Riband, but this will do more than nicely. :approve:

Indeed - say a Four Team tournie with quartets from each NL club riding on a Sunday afternoon at sunny Poole Stadium ..!!? Or has that idea already been suggested and knocked back..?! :blink::angry:

As you say too, rabs, a good looking line-up and one that would certainly be enhanced by Jerran Hart too..

Of the holder, Master Compton...: surely he's not ridden enuff matches for the Wildcats to be Weymouth's 'top man'. Perhaps someone could do, what couldn't happen there on Saturday night, and "shed some light" on the Weymouth selection situation..!! :wink:

Sadly can't be Buzz as he's out injured now.. :cry:

Talking of Buzz, I recall when he was with Cleveland a couple of years back he gave up his allocated CLRC place to allow a younger rider to take his place... I wonder if the likes of Simmonds and Allott in this field might think to do likewise..??

Anyhow see you there - get there early to stand any chance of that legendary fish'n'chips!!

Full draw as per the BSPA website earlier today

1. Benji Compton (Weymouth)

2. Mark Simmonds (Plymouth)

3. Darren Mallett (King’s Lynn)

4. Jay Herne (Bournemouth)

5. Nick Simmons (Isle of Wight)

6. Tony Atkin (Newport)

7. Daniel Halsey (Rye House)

8. Mark Burrows (Weymouth)

9. Craig Cook (Buxton)

10. Adam Allott (King’s Lynn)

11. Barrie Evans (Mildenhall)

12. Simon Lambert (Scunthorpe)

13. Jade Mudgway (Buxton)

14. Kyle Hughes (Plymouth)

15. Ben Hopwood (Isle of Wight)

16. Jerran Hart (Bournemouth)

Looks a very competitive meeting and will certainly be looking to attend!

Looks a decent line up, I'm looking forward to it.

Jerran Hart must be in with a good shout and Kyle Hughes impressed for Plymouth a week or so ago ..... Will Buzz be fit enough after his injuries?

Edited by Shadders

Talking of Buzz, I recall when he was with Cleveland a couple of years back he gave up his allocated CLRC place to allow a younger rider to take his place... I wonder if the likes of Simmonds and Allott in this field might think to do likewise..??

why should Allott, he's only in his mid 20s!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking line up this! Hoping to make my first ever visit to Rye for this one to support the Plymouth lads, of which i think Kyle Hughes has a great chance.

For me its between... Hughes, Herne, Hart and Cook

Oh as i have never been to Rye can anyone tell me is the track easy to find? I will be coming from the M25 direction.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Cracking line up this! Hoping to make my first ever visit to Rye for this one to support the Plymouth lads, of which i think Kyle Hughes has a great chance.

For me its between... Hughes, Herne, Hart and Cook

Oh as i have never been to Rye can anyone tell me is the track easy to find? I will be coming from the M25 direction.

Thanks in advance

Mike

From the A10 exit off the M25 (jctn 25), with a fair wind you can be at the track in less than 15 minutes! Once you enter Hoddesdon (A1170) there are clear signs for Rye Park.

Don't think you'll have a problem finding it!! You MIGHT have a problem getting fish and chips though unless you get there early!!!! :wink:

PS you won't have to contend with me in the traffic though...: been called up as a 'late substitute' to take my daughter up to Liverpool that day so will AGAIN be missing the NLRC..! :cry:

Id say watch out for Nick Simmons.On his day at this level,hes the one to beat.

Definitely looking forward to this one.See you somewhere near the start line

Will be good to meet up and chat with George and Linda Barclay,a must every time I visit the place.

Best of Luck to Jay and Jerran,and Kyle Hughes,my favourite non Buccs rider! :approve:

From the A10 exit off the M25 (jctn 25), with a fair wind you can be at the track in less than 15 minutes! Once you enter Hoddesdon (A1170) there are clear signs for Rye Park.

Don't think you'll have a problem finding it!! You MIGHT have a problem getting fish and chips though unless you get there early!!!! :wink:

PS you won't have to contend with me in the traffic though...: been called up as a 'late substitute' to take my daughter up to Liverpool that day so will AGAIN be missing the NLRC..! :cry:

Ouch!! I think i wont be there either as i dont get back from Edinburgh until about 3pm on Saturday and would then have to leave home 2 hours later. Did try to convince my wife it would be a great family night out but she wants me to entertain the kids at home while she watches 'Strcitly come dancing'!! Maybe she will relent but i won't count on it, damn shame, is always a cracker, running out of meetings now. :angry:

In my opinion:

The Main Contenders:

Craig Cook (Buxton)

Barrie Evans (Mildenhall)

Kyle Hughes (Plymouth)

Jerran Hart (Bournemouth)

These guys can gate and pass round Rye, all in great form at this level and will be the top contenders in my book.

Challengers

Jay Herne (Bournemouth)

Nick Simmons (Isle of Wight)

Adam Allott (King’s Lynn)

Simon Lambert (Scunthorpe)

These 4 tend to not get on that well at Rye unless they get out of the starts. If one can string 5 good gates together then they could be the man on the top of the podium. Watch out for Adam Allott in particular.

Outsiders:

Benji Compton (Weymouth)

Tony Atkin (Newport)

Daniel Halsey (Rye House)

Jade Mudgway (Buxton)

James Cockle (Weymouth)

The riders who could win on the right evening. Compton, won last year surprisingly, he could do it again. Atkin is highly experienced, he always seems to bust a gut at Rye to win races, didn't seem to do so much in the recent NL fixture but could do when personal glory is at stake. Danny is having an up and down season but has been a proven number 1 at NL level in previous years, including a spell of 4/5 meetings unbeaten at this level at Rye last year. Home track advantage could count. Mudgway can mix it, he is another racer and doesn't know when he is beaten. Don't discount him on Saturday. James Cockle knows Rye House well, he has a good chance to prove that he can dominate at this level on Saturday, if things go his way he could do it.

The Rest

Mark Simmonds (Plymouth)

Darren Mallett (King’s Lynn)

Ben Hopwood (Isle of Wight)

Mark Simmonds has not seen Rye for years, due to missing the recent Cobblers V Devils meeting. He could go out and win the meeting but I feel this won't happen due to having not seen the track for so long. Darren Mallett has never been a Rye speciallist. He could put together a good night scoring but I think the title is beyond his grasp with the event taking place at Rye House. Ben Hopwood in my opinion is still a year away from contending in this competition. He has improved a lot this season but the calibre of riders he is up against will test him to the max.

I have a feeling it will be Hart, Hughes and Cook on the podium.

In my opinion:

The Main Contenders:

Craig Cook (Buxton)

Barrie Evans (Mildenhall)

Kyle Hughes (Plymouth)

Jerran Hart (Bournemouth)

These guys can gate and pass round Rye, all in great form at this level and will be the top contenders in my book.

Challengers

Jay Herne (Bournemouth)

Nick Simmons (Isle of Wight)

Adam Allott (King’s Lynn)

Simon Lambert (Scunthorpe)

These 4 tend to not get on that well at Rye unless they get out of the starts. If one can string 5 good gates together then they could be the man on the top of the podium. Watch out for Adam Allott in particular.

Outsiders:

Benji Compton (Weymouth)

Tony Atkin (Newport)

Daniel Halsey (Rye House)

Jade Mudgway (Buxton)

James Cockle (Weymouth)

The riders who could win on the right evening. Compton, won last year surprisingly, he could do it again. Atkin is highly experienced, he always seems to bust a gut at Rye to win races, didn't seem to do so much in the recent NL fixture but could do when personal glory is at stake. Danny is having an up and down season but has been a proven number 1 at NL level in previous years, including a spell of 4/5 meetings unbeaten at this level at Rye last year. Home track advantage could count. Mudgway can mix it, he is another racer and doesn't know when he is beaten. Don't discount him on Saturday. James Cockle knows Rye House well, he has a good chance to prove that he can dominate at this level on Saturday, if things go his way he could do it.

The Rest

Mark Simmonds (Plymouth)

Darren Mallett (King’s Lynn)

Ben Hopwood (Isle of Wight)

Mark Simmonds has not seen Rye for years, due to missing the recent Cobblers V Devils meeting. He could go out and win the meeting but I feel this won't happen due to having not seen the track for so long. Darren Mallett has never been a Rye speciallist. He could put together a good night scoring but I think the title is beyond his grasp with the event taking place at Rye House. Ben Hopwood in my opinion is still a year away from contending in this competition. He has improved a lot this season but the calibre of riders he is up against will test him to the max.

I have a feeling it will be Hart, Hughes and Cook on the podium.

Pretty good assessment RocketBen, Kyle was very impressive on Saturday and if he brings that form to next Saturdays event he has to be there or thereabouts.

Barrie Evans is in fine form, knows his way around Rye and if his gating is like it has been in the last couple of meetings should play a big part.

My other three against the field would be Jerran Hart, nick Simmons and Jay Herne.

Whatever the result it should be an excellent meeting, should be a fair few from Mildenhall in attendance to support Barrie, and as always will be good to meet up with Bob C and Rabbit in the usual place by the startline :approve: