British Speedway Forum

Dream Come True For Some. Ole Is Going....

Well Ole signed off with one his "signature tracks". A total disgrace.

I loved the presentation when Crumpy presented him with what looked like a box of dirt.

Totally agree. We were at bydgoszcz for a league meeting against Gorzow earlier in the season and the racing was fantastic, Tomasz was all over the track and it was a real treat. Thank god <hopefully> we'll never have to watch such rubbish again.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Politics - flannel - idle talk.

What promotes a sport is that it is exciting to watch; something which, by and large, has been totally missing with the kind of tracks Olson has been serving up over the years.

Rather than concentrate their minds on expanding the product to other areas, they should be looking at how they can improve the existing one!

Edited by TonyE

as much as Ole had done my head in ..... I agree with some of his approach if it was to avoid rain offs

IMG will quickly find themselves in awkward positions with tv companies if there was to be a string of rain offs................ what I dont agree with is the attitude of no dirt and no watering at any point regardless of the weather......... this is changing the nature of the sport

I would be extremely interested to read an interview with someone like Tony Olsson covering the equipment at (and taken to) the gp venues and the strategies available for dealing with rain (hint hint Philip Rising)

I was at the Prague beer festival..... aka Prague GP 2004 where we had a long interval following rain................. the issue though was not the rain... it was that 'the' blade or 'a' blade was not at the stadium but instead several miles up the motorway............ once the blade turned up it did not take too much time for it to do its job and then for us to move ahead with what was decent racing ... and of course the infamous hancock/pedersen incident

the series has either settled into lazy ways or into unprofessional practices while the public are expected to pay professional prices...................... i'm currently watching the F1 race where they have a crane on every corner to quickly move any wreckage that happens...... they do this instead of having less than they need because the product suffers otherwise (= less support and less money)......................

blades, and heat machines are essential at every grand prix.. along with anything else that the experts know works............. i'm no vulcan but logic CLEARLY dictates that the answer is not to remove all the dirt after practice and never water the track

I truly hope that Tony Olsson and his appointment are signs that we will be getting decisions that make sense otherwise I fear for how long the series is going to last for in its current form

I was at the Prague beer festival..... aka Prague GP 2004 where we had a long interval following rain................. the issue though was not the rain... it was that 'the' blade or 'a' blade was not at the stadium but instead several miles up the motorway............ once the blade turned up it did not take too much time for it to do its job and then for us to move ahead with what was decent racing ...

Quite. The 1992 World Final in Wroclaw also received a huge deluge halfway through, but with the help of some pumps and some blading, it was made raceworthy fairly quickly.

It surely shows it can be done if the will is there... :unsure:

The quality of tracks for GP'S will not improve as the Sponsors do not want their advertising boards covered in shale. The quicker they fill the centre green with adverts as they do in the Extra Liga the better!! Until then expect slick tracks in abundance. Sadly Money Talks

I am puzzled by Jason Crumps' affable and positive attitude towards Ole Olsen.

As Jason himself informed us last night, he is a racer not a rider, so why would he want to heap praise on the man who produces tracks that makes it impossible for him to do his job properly?

ive often wondered the same........ but isnt Ole a dream for older riders looking to avoid injury? ...... reading between the lines Ole is a part of the family for the riders as well

The quality of tracks for GP'S will not improve as the Sponsors do not want their advertising boards covered in shale. The quicker they fill the centre green with adverts as they do in the Extra Liga the better!! Until then expect slick tracks in abundance. Sadly Money Talks

no one has ever come out and stated anything about the ad boards........ and lets face it... it isnt exactly difficult to keep them clean... or expensive!

Oh dear, seems Tony has a lot to live up to. If the tracks are not deep and grippy there will be trouble next year! :shock:

However given the outcry when a meeting needs to be delayed or abandoned it will be interesting to see what happens in the event of poor weather, TV will simply not allow for delays and we may find that we do not get live SGP if meetings start getting extensive delays for trackwork. Rainoffs and we might suddenly find the SGP series filmed on a Saturday and shown on a weekday just in case!

Gelsenkirchen was a one off and not a typical rain off, (Still a farce though), so that leaves just 2 that I can think of. Sweden a few years ago and then the SWC final this year.

I dont expect there to be a great deal of difference on the track prep side of things next year to be honest but lets wait and see.

I am puzzled by Jason Crumps' affable and positive attitude towards Ole Olsen.

As Jason himself informed us last night, he is a racer not a rider, so why would he want to heap praise on the man who produces tracks that makes it impossible for him to do his job properly?

Yea i know a man who has been world champion 3 times while he's been doing the tracks and all the fame and fortune that comes with it you would expect him to hate him :rolleyes: .

Maybe he like's ole as a person ? maybe just maybe he not a nasty and vile man becauese he makes tracks slick . :rolleyes:

ive often wondered the same........ but isnt Ole a dream for older riders looking to avoid injury? ...... reading between the lines Ole is a part of the family for the riders as well

no one has ever come out and stated anything about the ad boards........ and lets face it... it isnt exactly difficult to keep them clean... or expensive!

Of course they have not came out and stated it, does not mean that its not true, though.

The riders have been complaining for years about slick GP tracks, the fans have been complaining about it for years, but nothing has changed. Why is that?

Gelsenkirchen was a one off and not a typical rain off, (Still a farce though), so that leaves just 2 that I can think of. Sweden a few years ago and then the SWC final this year.

There was a GP shown live from Germany (I think, could've been Poland) a few years ago which was held up for something like 30 mins for fence repairs after a big smash, no air fence back then. It needed 2 wooden board panels which once located, approx 30 mins of live TV showing mostly nothing remember, they were attached within a couple of minutes....